PDA

View Full Version : What's Australian for "piss off?"

Dennis E. Taylor
06-19-2015, 09:21 PM
One of my characters is going to intrude into the personal area of another, who is Australian. The latter needs to say something along the lines of "Piss off, mate!" Before I put it in print, what would he actually say?

kennyc
06-19-2015, 09:44 PM
I don't know but: http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Australian

Bolero
06-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't know but: http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Australian

I tried the link out of curiosity, and it kept on wanting to open windows to all sorts of betting websites etc. Does that happen with you?

kennyc
06-19-2015, 10:05 PM
I tried the link out of curiosity, and it kept on wanting to open windows to all sorts of betting websites etc. Does that happen with you?

No, but I do have adblock....

mirandashell
06-19-2015, 10:10 PM
I tried that link and it is definitely NSFW. Very very NSFW. Don't touch it with someone else's if you're delicate.

veinglory
06-19-2015, 10:24 PM
"Piss off", "fuck off", "get out of it", and probably followed by "you wanker".

kennyc
06-19-2015, 10:25 PM
I tried that link and it is definitely NSFW. Very very NSFW. Don't touch it with someone else's if you're delicate.

Well yeahbutt this entire thread is NSFW based on the subject...

mirandashell
06-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Well yeahbutt this entire thread is NSFW based on the subject...

True. But just letting people know. Piss off is pretty mild compared to some of what's on that link.

Dennis E. Taylor
06-20-2015, 12:32 AM
I don't really need out-and-out swearing. Just something somewhat rude. Sounds like "piss off" is acceptable in context. What about "mate?" or is that more Brit? Every time I try to visualize alternatives, I end up sounding Scottish. Which is amusing, but wrong.

kennyc
06-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Maybe you are belaboring it a bit too much, just go with piss off mate, eh?

Drachen Jager
06-20-2015, 01:53 AM
"Foster's Lager off."

Seriously though, piss off is pretty much the same in Aussie.

If you wanted to be funny about it you could always make something up. "Get yer prawns off my barbie, Foster's drinking wanker!"

;)

Helix
06-20-2015, 02:55 AM
"Foster's Lager off."

That'd mark you out as a) terminally unfunny and b) no that's it, terminally unfunny.

Seriously though, piss off is pretty much the same in Aussie.

Piss off, mate. Fuck off, arsehole. Depends on the severity.

If you wanted to be funny about it you could always make something up. "Get yer prawns off my barbie, Foster's drinking wanker!"

;)

See a and b above.

veinglory
06-20-2015, 03:43 AM
'Mate' is just not the word that would come out when blurting that someone should get out, generally. Aussies do use the word but not as densely as faux Aussies in fiction. It is not appended to every second sentence ;)

WeaselFire
06-20-2015, 05:23 AM
Got a friend in New Zealand who tells me to "bugger off." Might be close enough for you.

Jeff

Rufus Coppertop
06-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Bugger off, buzz off, piss off, fuck off, on ya bike, rack off,

Roxxsmom
06-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Do Aussies ever say "Get lost"? That's a relatively mild expression that's sometimes used in the US by people who aren't angry enough to say "Fuck Off" (or are too polite to).

kelzey2
06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
'Bugger off' is more common than 'get lost'

Anna Spargo-Ryan
06-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Piss off is fine. "Piss off, mate" is probably only okay at the football.

Nick off, bugger off, rack off also all fine.

Dennis E. Taylor
06-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks, people :D. My aussie is a little bit nuts, so he's going to be spouting off a lot. I will probably use several of these.

blacbird
06-21-2015, 05:15 AM
"Here, have a vegemite sandwich, mate."

caw

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-21-2015, 10:29 PM
I'd go for the "rack off!" option. They used to say it all the time on Neighbours (which I still watch) in the late 80s.

LA*78
06-22-2015, 07:26 AM
It depends on how ocker you want your character to sound. I tell my kids to rack off when they're being annoying. I tell my husband to piss off when he's being annoying. Anyone else who elicited that type of comment from me would probably get fuck off. 'Get nicked' or 'nick off' are other variations of 'rack off' that I sometimes use. 'Mate' is probably more used in greeting, and likely not as often as you'd think. There are a lot of Kiwi's here these days, and bro' is about as commonly used as 'mate'. When excessive alcohol is involved all bets are off in regards to the usage of 'mate' though...