New York Prison Escape

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else following this story? Wow! Want to guess where the escapees went?

My guess is across the river to Canada, and from there, heading away from the cities and out to the wilderness. Also, most likely splitting up right away.

My goodness, Richard Matt did a number on that prison seamstress.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CNN) Two murderers meticulously planned their New York state prison break, possibly sneaking out of their cells under the cover of darkness to rehearse their escape in tunnels, authorities said.

Richard Matt and David Sweat planned to drive seven hours in the night to a predetermined location, together with the woman who allegedly helped them, said Clinton County District Attorney Andrew Wylie.

But Joyce Mitchell, who allegedly provided them with the tools to cut through prison walls, got cold feet and decided not to pick them up, he said.

Mitchell told investigators she planned to run off with the men after picking them up last week near a manhole where they'd emerge from a network of tunnels, Wylie said.

"They were going to meet down by the power plant, drive -- I'm not going to say into the sunset, because it was after midnight and it was dark out -- but they were going to drive, potentially to an area that was about seven hours away," Wylie said.

But she backed out...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/14/us/new-york-prison-break-plan/index.html

Last edited:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that Joyce Mitchell has been telling everyone that she's black.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Speculation is they're still together, or at least were for a good while, and were in the woods adjacent for a while - there was food found, prints, and dogs picked up their scents.

I'm most enjoying Cuomo's endless subtle distancing - 'they might be anyplace! They could be in Mexico! They could be in Arizona!'

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Papers elsewhere in the state are salivating at the news. The coverage is not the same from one paper to the next, each seeming to have their own take and their own exclusives.

This morning's paper here (western NY) noted that the tools used to cut their way out were left on site by contractors, with the prison's knowledge and consent. Inmates in their cells could not get at them, the reasoning went. Inmates out of their cells through holes in the walls could, though, and used them between midnight and five a.m., returning them positioned just as the contractors had left them, with plenty of time for motors to cool before anyone might touch them.

Also, manhole covers are welded shut now. Lock the barn doors--the horses have escaped!

It's a relatively easy time of year to live in the woods, despite lots of rain (which also diminishes scent trails). Hunting and fishing camps are abundant and probably well stocked for summer. Depending on what they stumble upon, they might find everything they need to manage for weeks or months, moving daily.

Maryn, who'd split up, then steal kayaks, bicycles, and canoes to make tracks out of the area

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I live in Upstate NY, about 2 hours away, so it's making me a little nervous, but probably not as much so as those who live right there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if I lived in the area, I'd really have to change how I do some of the stuff I do, to maximize my safety.

I'm debating with myself whether I think they'll be found in the great outdoors or having made it to civilization. I read enough thriller, mystery, etc. that I know how a great many authors think a person can disappear, but whether that really works, we shall see, eh?

Maryn, appalled at the lack of security there

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well hell, it's been nine days with a million dollars a day spent looking. I'm changing my vote. I don't think they'll be found.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is across the river to Canada, and from there, heading away from the cities and out to the wilderness. Also, most likely splitting up right away.

You could, of course, be entirely correct in this speculation. But think for just a moment about these two "gentlemen". I've read some background on them. Both have been thugs since early years; Matt, in particular, had a reputation for terrorizing other children on school buses when he was in grade school. One law enforcement official described him as the most violent and vicious person he'd encountered in 38 years of experience in the field. Neither of these guys has any life experience outside the realm of violent crime. It's not like they're going to quietly and unobtrusively become auto mechanics or plumbers or general contractors.*

They have to eat. They have to obtain new clothing. They have to sleep. They have to obtain money. Hiking through the woods is a pretty ineffective means of travel, for any distance. Sooner or later, they have to interact with the public. Therein lies the scary part. Their history of interaction with the public indicates that some part of the public will wind up dead.

And this brain-dead woman who facilitated their escape . . words fail me. Except to say that if these guys, together or separately, commit any crimes (a near-certainty), she's going to be held culpable as an accessory. Christ, they planned to kill her husband, and she went along with that. The escape itself almost certainly puts her in prison for the rest of her life.

caw

* Investment bankers, maybe.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just thinking they'd want to get away from civilization but that's probably not all that do-able in reality.

Also, I just read that Richard Matt has a giant penis. Sorry, just felt the need to share!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One down, one to go!

"Plattsburgh, New York (CNN)Richard Matt, one of two escaped murderers from an upstate New York prison, has been shot and officers involved in a three-week manhunt are pursuing fugitive David Sweat, a law enforcement source briefed on the investigation said Friday."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/us/new-york-prison-break/

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that means any time I see two guys hiking, canoeing, etc. I can stop wondering if it's them, huh?

Maryn, on the lookout

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did the cops shoot him before or after they took him to Burger King for lunch?

It takes two hands to handle Richard Matt's whopper. LOLOL *why yes, I am twelve.*

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that means any time I see two guys hiking, canoeing, etc. I can stop wondering if it's them, huh?

Maryn, on the lookout

Well now it's only one guy, anyway.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It takes two hands to handle Richard Matt's whopper. LOLOL *why yes, I am twelve.*

Of all details they felt the need to release to the public...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know feeling sorry for Joyce Mitchell would be beyond. We're all responsible for what we do. But wow, she just had "chump" written all over her... I don't think she was any match for those two.

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know feeling sorry for Joyce Mitchell would be beyond. We're all responsible for what we do. But wow, she just had "chump" written all over her... I don't think she was any match for those two.

I think that the second guy arrested deserves more sympathy. Ms. Mitchell conspired with Matt and Sweat, he just seems to have been duped, tried to cover it up, and is now in a world of trouble.

What I really don't understand is how Matt ended up dead, considering that cops universally try their hardest to bring white murderers in alive. Maybe those officers didn't get the memo.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
What I really don't understand is how Matt ended up dead, considering that cops universally try their hardest to bring white murderers in alive. Maybe those officers didn't get the memo.
My understanding is that he took one of the officer's fries at BK. You just don't do that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

My reaction, too. Had Matt acquired a firearm? Did he resist in such a way that killing him was appropriate? Was he even given the chance to surrender? These are all questions that should be answered. HOWEVER, nobody but the law enforcement people were around when he went down. So how credible is their account going to be?

I'm not sympathizing with Richard Matt. He was by all accounts a monstrous, evil, violent individual who richly deserved to be in prison. But, and fortunately, it appears that Matt and Sweat did not commit any violent crimes during their (so far, in the case of Sweat) three-week voyage through the north woods of New York State. Given the number of disturbing incidents of police killings of unarmed suspects over the past year or so, there are questions to be answered about the death of Richard Matt.

caw

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
My reaction, too. Had Matt acquired a firearm? Did he resist in such a way that killing him was appropriate? Was he even given the chance to surrender? These are all questions that should be answered. HOWEVER, nobody but the law enforcement people were around when he went down. So how credible is their account going to be?

I'm not sympathizing with Richard Matt. He was by all accounts a monstrous, evil, violent individual who richly deserved to be in prison. But, and fortunately, it appears that Matt and Sweat did not commit any violent crimes during their (so far, in the case of Sweat) three-week voyage through the north woods of New York State. Given the number of disturbing incidents of police killings of unarmed suspects over the past year or so, there are questions to be answered about the death of Richard Matt.

caw

One of the stories indicated he had a shotgun when the officer saw him.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

caw
Maybe they are questions that need to be answered, maybe they are not. Escaped killers are generally one of the hardest kinds of perps to bring down without incident, since they have absolutely nothing to lose. Personally, I'd lean towards accepting the accounts of the officers involved, assuming there are no gaping holes or contradictory accounts. But it's not something I'll be paying much attention to, regardless.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Tommy Lee Jones could have done it without hurting them. And he would have some pretty cool lines to go with it.