PDA

View Full Version : Give it to me straight, Doc

Rotes
06-13-2015, 10:07 PM
If I use fonts like RM Ginger or Rhesus A Bta for titles and decorative bits, is amazon self-pub going to wreck my formatting?
It is, isn't it?
:(

Treehouseman
06-14-2015, 03:47 AM
Everything will go back to TNR, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

You will need to embed the fonts as images in the file itself.

RedWombat
06-14-2015, 04:36 AM
Yup. You can save those as images and insert them, mind you, but that's another layer of complexity.

WriterBN
06-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Yup. You can save those as images and insert them, mind you, but that's another layer of complexity.

If you do, make sure to create transparent GIFs. I favor a sepia background on my Kindle app, and there's nothing worse than seeing a fancy font or an embellishment on an ugly white rectangle.

SBibb
06-15-2015, 10:07 PM
If you do, make sure to create transparent GIFs. I favor a sepia background on my Kindle app, and there's nothing worse than seeing a fancy font or an embellishment on an ugly white rectangle.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll need to keep that in mind when formatting.

J. Tanner
06-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Another thing to remember if if you use this "text as graphic" method, users who use/need larger font sizes won't get that graphic scaled up. So your "big" decorative font might be smaller than the body text for some readers. It's still probably okay as a chapter header situation but using it anywhere in the flowing text is going to be trouble.

It also won't be searchable or accessible from the dictionary. Again, minor considerations for chapter headings, but liable to negatively impact the reader experience elsewhere.

veinglory
06-15-2015, 10:29 PM
The idea with kindle is that it is pure flowable text unless you go for the fixed format/pdf option which IMHO doesn't always work out so well. That said I think their font choices are pretty good and the new Bookerly font for the kindle app is very pleasing to the eye.

Rotes
06-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Is there a way I can preview the final product? What file type is the actual document on amazon?

Treehouseman
06-16-2015, 10:44 AM
The Kindle previewer is probably the most accurate, and you will get to it halfway through the upload stage of your work (just before you commit to the final document). Otherwise I save the Word file as HTML and compress the 2 generated files into a Zip. This can be converted through Calibre into a Mobi. Phew!

- - - Updated - - -

.mobi is the Amazon format.