PDA

View Full Version : Need a name for a wrestling maneuver

mellymel
06-13-2015, 03:05 AM
I'm looking for the name of a wrestling move that someone would use when they are pinned to the ground on their back to get out of it.

Thanks!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-13-2015, 03:07 AM
How are they pinned down? I mean, what's pinning them? If another person, how is that person positioned? What is the weight disparity between the pinned and pinner? Also, how tricky do you want the person making the escape to be?

BarII
06-13-2015, 04:03 AM
I'm looking for the name of the move that's kind of a break dance move, where you jerk your upper body which, of course, you can do with such force when you're pinned that the guy on top of you flies off...

BarII
06-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Pro wrestling?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-13-2015, 04:11 AM
It's only in pro wrestling that you'd find a pinned person able to throw off a pinning person merely by bucking. It's the sort of thing that requires cooperation. Or an enormous amount of leverage. I could certainly throw off a child or someone half my weight.

I wrestled (and wrote about it) most of my life, but to answer the questions correctly I'll need more info. :D

WeaselFire
06-13-2015, 10:01 PM
In high school, we were taught to use a bridge-out. Arch your shoulders off the mat with your head and feet supporting you, then roll to the opponent's weak side. But the moves could be changed depending on what you need for your story. We usually went for an escape rather than any reversal, but it was also high-school in the US, not Olympic wrestling.

FWIW, the only other guy in my weight class in high school went on to win two Olympic golds. Technically, it took an Olympic Gold Medalist to pin me. :)

Jeff

SheepDip
06-13-2015, 10:18 PM
A pin is normally called a pinfall and anything that breaks that is normally refereed to as a kick out unless the pinned wrestler grabs the rope, in which case its a rope break. Interference would be more difficult to pin point.

mellymel
06-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Hmm...okay, so this is not a wrestling in the ring kind of thing. It's someone being pinned down by someone else in the woods. I guess it doesn't matter if the pinfall (thanks SheepDip) has the guy on his front or back. Here's the roughly written scene I have going. Maybe this will help (it's a YA WIP):

"No!" I scream, tearing after him. Cat and Derek grab me, but my drenched skin allows me to slip easily from their grasp. I round the corner to find Zane pinned to the ground, a male figure sitting over him with a knife. I'm about to dash toward him when the guy on top of Zane quickly stands and reaches a hand to help Zane up. They hug. "Holy shit, man," Zane says quietly. "Do you have any idea what I could have done to you?

"Done to me?" the other laughs, and I recognize the voice as Gabe from the other cabin. "I had you on your backside. All I had to do was stick that knife another two inches and—"

"Woulda never happened," Zane says, brushing dirt and leaves from his jeans. "I would've done a ADD THE NAME OF A WRESTLING MOVE TO GET OUT OF A PIN and it would've been all over."

So it's more of a playing around thing and doesn't necessarily have to be accurate. It could be olympic style wrestling or even some crazy WWF type thing. Just something that makes sense in that situation. For the most part. ;)

Thanks

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Sounds like you are describing what is commonly called a schoolboy pin (http://www.askthebrain.com/pics/533/Schoolboy_Pin.jpg). You leave it a bit vague ("sitting over him") as to where the upper man has his weight. If he's forward enough--high enough on the pinned man's body--the pinned man could (I would in real life, in a serious struggle), apply his knees to the upper man's back, hard. That would not only hurt the pinner's back, but also propel him forward enough that a powerful bridge might earn the pinned man his freedom. It would by no means 'be all over' at that point however. A clever fighter could, I suppose, grab one of the pinner's legs during the transition and apply some sort of leg or ankle lock.

A trickier/flashier maneuver would be for the pinned man to brings his legs up and hook them under the pinner's arms and pull the pinned man off and over onto his back. This would have the added benefit of more or less 'reversing' the positions and the man who was the pinner could (conceivable) find himself in a variation of a leg scissors. I'm adding all these qualifiers to the second move because in a real life situation, with a knife pointed at his throat (or whatever), the guy on the bottom would have to be incredibly fast (and rather foolhearty to attempt it, much less) to pull it off. That's why you would really only ever see this in a pro wrestling situation.

However, there's no real world/MMA type maneuver or even a collegiate or Olympic style wrestling maneuver to counter a school boy pin, because they just don't happen in those types of contests (the action is generally too frenetic). The closest thing you'd find to a schoolboy in MMA would be the closed guard position (the 'upper' fighter is not 'on top' of his opponent, but rather 'over' an opponent who is on his back) . Here's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUYRO7PRtw) of several closed guard combinations that you might be able to modify to suit your needs. It helpfully names the moves for you as well!!! The interesting thing about the closed guard position is that the fighter on his/her back is generally considered to have the advantage.

WeaselFire
06-14-2015, 05:06 AM
Hmm...okay, so this is not a wrestling in the ring kind of thing.

Now you tell us. :)

What do you need to have happen for your story? Can't the guy on the bottom just twist and buck the top guy off? Or struggle and not be able to move him? Why would you want a specific wrestling move name for when nobody is really wrestling?

Jeff

mellymel
06-14-2015, 06:08 AM
I don't need anything to necessarily happen. They are sort of joking around with each other. Obviously, a guy with a knife at your throat isn't going to be as easy/simple to get out of, so the naming of the move is just him joking around/trying to save face for being caught off guard. But the naming of the move and the other guy understanding is going to come into play later on (this is a horror novel). Hard to explain, just trust me on it, mkay? :)

Johnny! That YT vid was perfect. Gave me TONS of options. Thank you! that was what I was looking for.

BarII
06-14-2015, 06:27 AM
If your arms are free you could wrap them around the pinner, pull him towards you, and bite his groin. "My teeth were two inches from your groin. In another second you wouldn't have had the strength to do anything but pass out."