User name and avatar

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Curious. How did you chose a user name and what's in your avatar.

Mine was out of my control. I'm a dude, I'm a writer, what choice did I have?

My picture is the shore near us one wintery evening at the play area. It's probably time for a change.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My name is Mary. And the friend who lured me to the dark side (AKA AW) calls me Mumsy. It's a long joke that is in the un-indexed old posts. My avatar is Mae West, because, especially for her time, she was one cool broad.

MM

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
Lady and kaa are a couple of nicknames I've had in the past. this current avatar's temporary, cuz I'm fixing to change it to a photo of my deceased-this-morning cat in a cute shark suit.

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
i chose shivadyne because i love ice magic in video games and shiva is one of my favorites in the final fantasy series because of it. dyne was added at the end of it because of the magic in persona games (bufudyne, agidyne, ziodyne, etc).

my avatar had to be chosen out of all the available ones and it was a pretty easy choice when i saw tifa. she's one of my favorite ff7 characters.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
shakey --purposely misspelled-- was my college nickname. Back in the hippie daze everyone had a nickname. I am notoriously shy and I do shaky things in social situations. At least that is the explanation I remember. Six because I was born on the sixth of June. My avatar is usually grandkids or a picture from my garden. Right now it is Zeke and Bella. I have another grand daughter, Magnolia, who shows up too. Not as exciting as some but Grammying is my job--s6.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Brightdreamer's a name I've used for a while, tied to a rather pathetic fantasy race I invented once (and my own fascination with dreams and fantasy.)

The avatar's from an exhibition I saw a few years back entitled "Luminasia." I keep meaning to update it, but, dang it, I still think it's one of the most awesome dragons I've seen.

Leema

Registered
Reaction score
"Leema" is the online name I've had for myself for about 15 years. It stems from my middle name of 'Lee'.

My picture is one of my past dogs, Chip - Au NZ Ch Dalshoj Chippendale SE TD - exported to Canada. I'm big into dogs, and border terriers, and I always just think Chip's head was awesome.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Helix because I'm a malacologist. The stone-curlew because they're in my garden; that stone-curlew because it looked sceptical and a little bit judgemental.

SheepDip

Registered
Reaction score
Sheepdip is nasty and kills stuff. Its also my Twitter handle. I chose the Sheep originally because my Twitter pic was of a big cuddly toy sheep that helped get me my first teaching job. I fancied a change so for AW I went for living sheep. Plus I kinda think sheep are cool.

Sheep

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff Face because I am apparently incapable of choosing a username that isn't also a terrible pun. Which brings me to my avatar, the first book I've ever released into the wild (quite recently, in fact) with the pen name "C. Black" - also a terrible pun. (For those not in the know, 99% of my clothes, bedding and anything else with colour options are black, by choice and an inherent love of gothic and/or metal culture. :))

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
StarryEyes, or variants thereof, has been my online name for about five years. It came from a poem I wrote which began with "starry eye, are you watching me…". I'm also a bit of an idealist, and starry eyes is a good way to describe me when my thoughts go off somewhere else!

My avatar was originally a picture of the MC in the story I was writing at the time. Now it's me reading a book in a field with an oncoming storm. I love that picture and I thought it suited my username quite well.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ken is my name ;-)
Avatar. Two of favorite musicians. Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet) and Charlie Parker (sax).

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Elsewhere on the internet I go by the username Once, but this site doesn't allow four letter usernames. So I added the ! as a post-modern ironic statement. Or something like that.

Will Once is my pen name so I can write naughty things without harming my day job. It's totally unique (according to google). Of the seven billion inhabitants of this planet, not one is called Will Once. Apart from me when I'm wearing my spandex suit and mask. It's meant to be vaguely enigmatic, as if it's the first half of a sentence.

The avatar is from the cover of second book: "Global Domination for Beginners". And when you read the book, you'll get an "aha" moment or two when you work out what the smiley face means.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Eyeblink is the title of a novel I started but which ground to a halt. I may go back to it one day but I need to sort a lot of it out in my head first.

As I watch a lot of films (all eras and from various countries) I quite fancied having a film-related avatar and used a screengrab from a DVD of the 1933 Barbara Stanwyck film Baby Face. Apart from a few brief one-off changes, such as a screengrab from Picnic at Hanging Rock as a solidarity gesture on the thread about the Australian forest fires several years ago, I've stuck with the Barbara theme since it seems to work. I am a creature of habit in these things. The previous and present avatars have been publicity stills from the 30s rather than screengrabs though. I have had the rep equivalent of a wolfwhistle more than once...

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Related question
Does someone else's choice of avatar affect the way you view a particular poster?

One user here had a picture of a pet that is identical to my inlaws'. Whenever I read a post by them I feel like I am conversing with the pet.

Another site had an argumentative poster whose avatar appeared to be a manga character doing an angry face palm. And that's how I pictured them whenever they posted.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I originally tried to join AW, I used a username that I have on other forums. After several days of waiting, I contacted an admin and was told the name was too "spammy" and had been rejected. So I had to start over with a new name. I was kind of angry. And I'm a guy...

The avatar was just the next logical step.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Well, when I first came online, I thought, "My name's Lily...my favourite lilies are white lilies...lilyWhite!" I've since learned that "Lily White" is the name of a Touhou character...and a BDSM erotica author... :S

The avatar (at the time of posting this) is a Siren from Lufia: The Legend Returns. (The user title is because in the previous game, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, "Siren" was translated as "Seirein" because Engrish.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage is my name. :greenie This was the first forum where I used it, though.

My current avatar is Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. I love changing my avatar, but I'm really digging this one and might hang on to it for a long time.

Fabulous Stef

Registered
Reaction score
I chose my user name because my novel has the word fabulous in the title and my name shortened, Fabulous Stef. My avatar is my favorite dog breed, though I'll probably change it to something else because usually I like change and get bored easily.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I keep changing my online name every couple years since none of them seem to fit me, though Miss Strawberrii is not the recent one. I might as well stick with it, since people on other forums know me as Strawberry. *shrugs* Not sure how I obtained such a nickname, though. I don't like strawberries.

My avatar is my own art. It is the main character of a game I'm developing. Also, it is the first "successful" digital work I've ever done. XD

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My usual online name CathyC was taken when I joined. (hiya CathyC:hi:) I'd been struggling with a particular part of my WIP and getting nowhere, lambasting my muse for failing me. To make it up to her I stole her name.:evil

As for my Avatar...Mac gave it to me as a joke, either one April Fools or Halloween. The joke was on her because I loved it!

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
Related question
Does someone else's choice of avatar affect the way you view a particular poster?

yeah, it definitely does! i'm not sure why, but i just picture them as their avatar since i can't really tell much about them otherwise (especially on places like youtube). it can be a weird disconnect when i find out what the person actually looks like beyond their avatar. :p

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I chose my username because it fortuitously matched my name. The avatar just happened to look like my son and I, most likely because it is an actual photo of my son and I.
Sometimes things just work out. I try not to question fortunate outcomes!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I chose my username because it fortuitously matched my name. The avatar just happened to look like my son and I, most likely because it is an actual photo of my son and I.
Sometimes things just work out. I try not to question fortunate outcomes!

What odd coincidences

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I own a wild-born mustang. And I can be a brutally blunt sometimes. You know, by accident, and all. :greenie

As to the avatar, I have a sci fi WIP on the back burner about horses in space. It was my first 'real' bit of writing, and the avatar pays a homage to that. But more importantly, it combines my love of horses and sci fi perfectly. And well, it kinda fits the user name.

ETA: The animated version.

space_horse.gif

Last edited: