Question- Using Photos on Book Covers

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of self-publishing the book I've written. I have thought about getting a graphic artist to do my cover, but I am experimenting with doing the cover myself.

The novel is set in the Vietnam War, and I am researching actual historical photos to use as options for the cover. My question concerns the copyright of these images.

As I understand it, photos taken by news services are generally owned by the news services or photographers and I would have to pay for the rights to use one of these photos. However, the National Archives and the different military branches also have a number of photos. If these are considered public documents, would I have to pay for the rights to use a government photo as cover?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on who owns the picture. You have to ask them, really.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, all photos shot by military photographers are in the public domain. The public paid for them, after all.

A lot of government projects, even contracted, produce photos, film and other media that is automatically in the public domain. All NASA photos are public domain for example.

Jeff