PDA

View Full Version : Why Not to Pick Me for a Writing Partner/to Read/to Swap but I'll Ask for That Anyway

thereshouldbecoffee
06-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Since this is the closest I can get to deleting my account and my posts, I'm editing them. If I'd read further, I would have known I couldn't delete my account or my posts and would never have signed up. I've never encountered that policy before, and I strongly disagree with it, as I contributed nothing of use, but it is what it is. I'm just trying to spare anyone who might have thought of answering the thread the trouble.

onesecondglance
06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
thereshouldbecoffee - now that's a good name. In fact, I have coffee right now!

Welcome to AW! This is a really big place, so I'd recommend dropping into the New Members (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?27-New-Members) section to introduce yourself, and be sure to read the Newbie Guide (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-Newbie-Guide!) for lots of useful tips.

Personally I think you will have more luck finding a partner if you stick around a bit, get involved in conversations, and generally join in. I'm sure you will find other writers you think are interesting who you can then ask individually. Plus you'll probably have fun along the way.

I hang out in the Mystery, Thriller, and Suspense section mainly - we're a friendly bunch who don't mind a bit of genre-bending. Look forward to seeing you around the Water Cooler!

thereshouldbecoffee
06-12-2015, 11:16 PM

Brutal Mustang
06-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Coffee is life. :)

Agreed, and welcome to the board.

I can't follow it, though. I have no intention of getting further involved on the site.

This will make it hard to find someone here. Beta reading is hard work. Many of us have spent hours of our precious time on someone's manuscript, only for them to poof. [:rant:] Because of this, the beta readers around here who know their shit and can help you become a better writer won't respond to your request. If you want to get good betas, hang around here. Show people you're not a flake or a four-post wonder. Post especially in the Share Your Work forums. You're not allowed start a thread and post one of your own chapters there until you have a 50 post count, but you can comment on other people's work until then. You'll learn a lot there, and probably make some friends on top of that.

Oh, and the most important part of being an author is growing thick skin. This board can help with that. Don't be afraid to socialize here. Sure, you'll put your foot in your mouth from time to time. We all do here. But you'll survive such moments wiser and more calloused than ever.

Good luck!

Dennis E. Taylor
06-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Also, you strike me as very introspective, which is like 90% of the battle. People who don't realize their own shortcomings are the ones who will never change.

You can hang around without posting. Lurk, laugh and point, and if you occasionally feel like it, post something. You might find yourself gradually becoming more comfortable with the place. There's no obligation, no contracts to sign, you don't have to hand over your credit card...

thereshouldbecoffee
06-13-2015, 01:36 AM

sussu
06-13-2015, 03:03 AM
What are you ready to read?
Is it only mystery?
Do you have positives? You said you are good at grammar.
What else do you have to offer that is actually positive, not negative?
I know your introduction should keep everyone away, but I'm intrigued.

thereshouldbecoffee
06-13-2015, 07:42 AM