ERMAGERD! Teh ghey is ruining this straight couple's marriage!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only because they're letting it:

A Canberra couple has announced their intention to divorce if gay people are allowed to get married too.

Nick Jensen, who posed with his wife Sarah on the cover of the latest issue of Canberra CityNews, writes of the Christian couple’s decision to end their marriage under the headline, “Gay law change may force us to divorce”.

Yeah, never mind that pesky very Christian thing called DIVORCE. Which Jesus mentioned more than gayness. Or how many Christians consider living together without benefit of marriage a sin. But, hey. Why should I lecture you on your lives? You can live it the way you want while you continue to lecture me and others on the wrongness of ours.

They can just go piss up a rope.

heza

Registered
Reaction score

I think one of my eyeballs is going to rupture.

I get soooo angry at the "threatens the sanctity of marriage" line that people use to object to gay marriage. It does not threaten heterosexual marriage at all. Not in any way. Not even a tiny bit. And anyone who says it does is an utter moron. That is a fact.

But here are two morons taking it a step further and actually shitting on that precious sanctity of the marriage they hold so dear just to make a point that doesn't need to be made and is, in fact, wrong.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I think I hear it all, along comes somebody else who actually tops the last story I read without even trying. I really should stick to my promise/threat and stay offline for two weeks. I'm getting nauseous from the stupidity, hatred, and anger my fellow humans can display.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they're both dying to get divorced. Let's face it, they both sound like complete a**holes and probably can't stand each other but feel stuck because of religious idealism. Now they can conveniently blame gay marriage and claim the high holy moral high ground.

I hope they don't sprain their shoulders patting themselves on the back.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Their whole statement is here.

Jesus sure did condemn divorce. Made only two exceptions and butthurt is not one. He said it's adultery. So they are going to commit adultery for God, who said, "Thou shalt not commit adultery."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, I so hope they do ​go to all the trouble, only to discover how many people actually give no shits whatsoever about their paperwork issues.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Terrific news. Hopefully, this means they won't be blessed with baby asshats in their image.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
One would hope, but they already have children and say they will have more.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I hope they have a lot of trouble with insurance and taxes and hospital visitation and inheritance and all the other things same-sex couples struggle with.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Insufferable, Sanctimonious Twatwaffles,

Go ahead and divorce. We don't care...
smiley-finger007.gif

Sincerely,
The Rest Of The World

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the process is like in Australia, but I hope their divorce is long, ugly, drawn out, and fucking expensive.

*patiently waiting for tomorrow's backpedaling statement that begins with "What we meant to say was..."*

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Divorce fees cost money. Which goes to the state. Which is funding laws towards gay marriage. So they support gay marriage, in the lamest way ever.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler[/FONT]

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The Bible says nothing about gay marriage. It has a few lines that could be interpreted as "gay sex is a sin," but 1) the couple can cover their bases on that front by not having gay sex, and 2) they're not protesting that there are people in the world who do stuff the couple considers sinful, but that gay people are being permitted basic rights, which, again, isn't mentioned in the Bible.

Not that our laws are based on this couple's interpretation of the Bible, anyway. They can follow their interpretation of the Bible without demanding the entire country do the same.

But I have to wonder at an interpretation that somehow inserts a prohibition on gay marriage but omits all the entries on divorce and sex outside of marriage.

Gay marriage isn't destroying their marriage - they are, by choice. They aren't just "letting it," they are actively causing the divorce. In my opinion, however, "marriage," in religious terms need not be the same thing as the legal contact, so if that's their mindset, fine. I how they come to understand why LGBT people are fighting so hard for the rights that come along with the contract ,though.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, never mind that pesky very Christian thing called DIVORCE. Which Jesus mentioned more than gayness. Or how many Christians consider living together without benefit of marriage a sin. But, hey. Why should I lecture you on your lives? You can live it the way you want while you continue to lecture me and others on the wrongness of ours.

They can just go piss up a rope.
--

Well, shit, Ben, it's yer own damn fault for being teh gay in the first place. Why can't you act like normal people fer once? :sarcasm

For the life of me, I don't get how any same-sex marriage is going to "ruin" a straight person's marriage or lifestyle or whatever. I don't ask what same-sex couples or even straight couples do in their spare time. All I require is that they don't ask the same of me. If gays were going to be the downfall of civilization, it would have crumbled long ago, considering homosexuality is as old as the hills. Morons like the couple cited should not only NOT be allowed to marry or cohabitate, they should also not be allowed to procreate. Sheesh...

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
--

Well, shit, Ben, it's yer own damn fault for being teh gay in the first place. Why can't you act like normal people fer once? :sarcasm

For the life of me, I don't get how any same-sex marriage is going to "ruin" a straight person's marriage or lifestyle or whatever. I don't ask what same-sex couples or even straight couples do in their spare time. All I require is that they don't ask the same of me. If gays were going to be the downfall of civilization, it would have crumbled long ago, considering homosexuality is as old as the hills. Morons like the couple cited should not only NOT be allowed to marry or cohabitate, they should also not be allowed to procreate. Sheesh...

Straight folk seem to be doing a bang-up job on wrecking the "sanctity" of marriage without my help, thanks.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Juvenile as I find Haggard's Law as a concept, I'll bite: which of them has an actual reason to divorce now that same-sex marriage is available, d'ye think?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Overall, nobody cares, I'm sure, and it's delusional of them to expect that we do.

But they also say this:
Many Christians, like my wife and me, as well as people of other faiths, will simply reject the need for the State to recognise their marriage. Instead they will look to the authority of their church, mosque or temple.

So I would expect that folks in their own church won't even care. The only possible place it would be scandalous that they wouldn't be married would be with a religious institution, I'd think. And they are covering that base. So... good for them? I mean, it's not a very impressive protest, lol. I don't think they should have gotten this much press, myself.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about Australia, but in the US it can be as simple as "incompatibility" or "irreconcilable differences". I suspect, however, they'll have to find an incredibly sympathetic judge who'll grant them a divorce without laughing at them.

One would hope, but they already have children and say they will have more.

I hope they have a goddamned herd of little gay babies.

Last edited: