PDA

View Full Version : What was Jesus?

BarII
06-10-2015, 04:51 AM
I'm writing a comedy piece that I don't want to describe in too much detail but I need a word to describe Jesus. I'll be, in a way that's probably less controversial than I'm making it sound, comparing him with others like him. I'll mention Jesus then I'll need to write "...other Messiahs" or "...other religious teachers" or something like that. Plain old "teacher" isn't specific enough and "Rabbis" is too religion-specific. "Sons of god" is too specific and, if possible, I'd like to keep it accurate in the eyes of more than one religious group. "Religious leaders" maybe?

frimble3
06-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Prophets?

Helix
06-10-2015, 05:30 AM
I'd go with prophet...or 'a very naughty boy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA)'.

BarII
06-10-2015, 05:45 AM
OK, prophet it is. Lowercase, I guess, since it's humor.

dda27101
06-10-2015, 06:32 AM
A prophet is an inspirational teacher, interpreting words attributed to God.
I rather call Jesus a messenger…for, allegedly, he passed on the will of God.

C.bronco
06-10-2015, 06:37 AM
But he was actually God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). He is a part of the Trinity: God's son. I don't know if that helps.

Roxxsmom
06-10-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm writing a comedy piece that I don't want to describe in too much detail but I need a word to describe Jesus. I'll be, in a way that's probably less controversial than I'm making it sound, comparing him with others like him. I'll mention Jesus then I'll need to write "...other Messiahs" or "...other religious teachers" or something like that. Plain old "teacher" isn't specific enough and "Rabbis" is too religion-specific. "Sons of god" is too specific and, if possible, I'd like to keep it accurate in the eyes of more than one religious group. "Religious leaders" maybe?

Religious figure? It's generic, but if you simply want to mention him in the same breath with other important people who are central figures in different religions without reference to their actual role or alleged powers, then it might work.

And that way you avoid getting into the nitty gritty about what words like messiah, prophet, teacher, preacher etc. mean to different people.

BarII
06-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Hmm..this is tough. "Religious figure" is, in a way, my favorite. But I'll be describing fictional "religious figures" in funny ways and I want them to sound inspirational or idol-like more than religious, just to keep things lighter. I'm kind of stuck comparing them to Jesus for technical reasons. But as you said, many of the other terms have those nitty gritty issues. But somehow the other terms seem to slightly obscure the fact I'm talking about religious figures. "Religious" sounds the most religious.

...Well, executing the main idea is proving to be even more difficult so I'm not so concerned about the term any more.

LA*78
06-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Deity?

Max Vaehling
06-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Deity-descendant?

citymouse
06-11-2015, 09:35 PM
'And there appeared to them Elias with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter, said to Jesus: Rabbi, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles, one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

BarII
06-11-2015, 09:53 PM
'And there appeared to them Elias with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter, said to Jesus: Rabbi, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles, one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

Yes, that's it. Tabernaclist.

citymouse
06-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Glad I could be of service. :-)

WeaselFire
06-12-2015, 07:24 PM
To many at the time, criminal would be an apt description. Rabble-rouser is what my mom would have called him if he were around today. Charlatan is another description. It really depends on what you need for your story.

Jeff

Layla Nahar
06-12-2015, 07:38 PM
True. If you see what his detractors had to say - and much of what we know if him - *if* there was such a person, we know from his detractors. Many said he was a magician, btw.

kuwisdelu
06-15-2015, 05:50 AM
Dirty hippy.

Pinko commie.

Domestic extremist.

Maxinquaye
06-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Dirty hippy.

Pinko commie.

Domestic extremist.

Terrorist!

Pony.
06-15-2015, 09:23 AM
According to a history channel program i saw a couple weeks back jesus was also the first zombie type: dead but wont stay dead.

Rufus Coppertop
06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Usurper? Pretender? Insurgent?

"Jesus" was an extremely common name in Judaea at that time and Jesus of Nazareth was not the only person with that name who had a following and some unsanctioned opinions about religion and state which the Jewish authorities found frightening.

Some people these days wonder why Pontius Pilate released a rotter like Barabbas when he could have released a decent chap like Jesus. The thing is, the crowd may have shouted "release Jesus (of Nazareth)!" Pilate may have scratched his head and wondered which Jesus?

Jesus of Nazareth? Jesus Barabbas? Jesus Ben Gamaliel? Jesus Ben Whatzisname?

shortstorymachinist
06-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Yes, that's it. Tabernaclist.

That's gonna be a weird way to describe him, especially since tabernacle is specific to Jewish culture. Using that word to compare him to other figures e.g. Buddha might be confusing.

Once!
06-15-2015, 06:02 PM
If you are aiming for a rewrite of the Life of Brian, then I would have thought that you could take your pick from holy man, preacher, prophet, mystic.

oceansoul
06-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Hippy Prophet?

I love tabernaclist. Since it's a humour book, you want it to be a little bit tongue in cheek.

LA*78
06-16-2015, 03:06 AM
According to a history channel program i saw a couple weeks back jesus was also the first zombie type: dead but wont stay dead.

I was originally going to answer zombie overlord, but I didn't think that was generic enough to cover his fellow cult leaders.

Helix
06-16-2015, 03:17 AM
Jesus was a Jewish philosopher
Had a lot of nice ideas
About our existential fears
Much admired by his peers...

Tim Minchin offers some suggestions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFdUJLebzU)

boron
06-18-2015, 06:20 PM
OK, prophet it is. Lowercase, I guess, since it's humor.

Jesus was not a prophet. Elijah, Isaiah and others were prophets, so by describing Jesus as a prophet you are downgrading him on their level. Also, not all other religious teachers were considered prophets in their own environments. Buddha was not a prophet.

Jesus said about himself he is a teacher. So, "other religious teachers" sounds most appropriate to me. I personally don't like the term "religious" though. Spiritual teachers would be better, probably.

Nuwanda
06-19-2015, 07:23 AM
I'd go with prophet...or 'a very naughty boy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA)'.

Life of Brian is the best when it comes to religious farce. Also The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

For titles you could go with bodhis as well if you want to lean towards Eastern Philosophy.

BarII
06-19-2015, 07:40 AM
Funny thing is, this is just for the intro to the main gag, and I still don't have either. Just a concept with several difficult to execute angles I could choose from. It's on the back burner right now.

Nuwanda
06-22-2015, 05:03 PM
The thing about research is that it opens up ideas you never considered before. I'm sure you know this and also something that you are writing today might trigger something for this concept.