The Martian

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI

First trailer is out now. For those who do not know, the Martian is about an astronaut (Mark Watney) gets stranded on Mars and has to survive. It involves a lot of jerry-rigging potato farms and making water out of rocket fuel and fun stuff like that.

As a huge fan of the book, I am cautiously optimistic. I hope they keep the humor that pervaded the book - Watney, despite his dire situation, tried to keep up his sanity by being really funny.

Still, there is only one thing that I know for certain.

...the movie will look REALLY pretty, cause Ridley Scott is directing it, and even when he's directing garbage, it looks pretty.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for this movie!! I got chills just watching the preview.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I loved this book. Can't wait for the film. This teaser looks like they've struck the right tone. Yay!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The book was a great read, so I do hope they don't screw up the movie!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody remember Robinson Crusoe on Mars? There were two astronauts (the one who was not the star was Adam West). Similar concept though with the standard 60s aspects.... Similar story to this.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Looks good... But I wonder if this movie would have been made if there had not been a lot of news about the US planned mission to Mars. After all, the link in JimmyB27's post says it all, in reality...

Alyssa L.

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the trailer in the previews before Jurassic World and ooooooooh did I get chills! It looks awesome.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Such a huge fan of this book. I was a bit worried about the movie, but I think Matt Damon can pull off Watney. I hope he can. I don't usually mess with opening days of movies but for this one I might. *restrains inner fangirl*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stop look at it and think it's a prequel for Interestellar.

Which is weird, because...honestly, Interstellar and the Martian have very little to do with one another thematically.

One's an exploration story, the other is a survival story.

...also, hopefully, one has a sense of humor...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Which is weird, because...honestly, Interstellar and the Martian have very little to do with one another thematically.

One's an exploration story, the other is a survival story.

...also, hopefully, one has a sense of humor...

It's mostly because Damon's character in Interestellar was also an astronaut stranded in a planet who was sent before. So it's hard to take that apart of my mind.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I've been hyping this book to everyone since it came out. I saw the trailer before Jurassic World and thought it looked great. I've thought Damon was a good choice for Mark Watney since I heard about the casting, and the trailer did not make me rethink that.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weird thing is I pictured Damon in the lead role long before there was any talk of a movie. He just sounded like Matt Damon.

Of course, then my mind flitters off to the version of Matt Damon on Team America: World Police. :Wha:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Loved the novel; good hard science fiction, with a well-paced narrative that takes the reader along for every step of the protagonist's journey of survival. The trailer looks good; like they've got the right tone.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Anybody remember Robinson Crusoe on Mars? There were two astronauts (the one who was not the star was Adam West). Similar concept though with the standard 60s aspects.... Similar story to this.

That movie was the first thing I thought of when I heard about the book. First half of that movie is still a pretty solid sf survival story.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Recommended by a friend because it's similar to my most recently finished ms.)

Read it.
Saw it last night. (3-D...woo-hoo)
Thumbs up.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It did the trick. A better space movie than Gravity.

Really liked the book, really liked the movie.

"The Martian" felt to me like "Apollo 13 Lite" in terms of plot and overall "odor of authenticity". (That's not a criticism of "The Martian", just an acknowledgment that its genesis is a SF novel, whereas "Apollo 13" hails from history.) High marks for eye candy. Well-acted by Matt Damon, whom got the gist of the character pretty well for my money.

If only America's near future really did contain big budgets for space exploration again, sigh.