Would you like to live where your book is set

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I do. The gyp roads are treacherous if I drive over 45. Tornadoes and rattlesnakes are always a possibility and everyone I know has a couple three guns and no clear idea of when to use them. Never talk politics in a bar. Other than that this place is fairly placid.--s6

Last edited:

Chanda

Registered
Reaction score
I would rather not live in my dystopian series, too dangerous. The project that I'm subbing to agents is based on a place I used to live, which id love to go back to, and the one I'm editing is based my hometown, but with paranormal attributes. That one, I wouldn't mind living in because I love the world I created. :)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hell yeah. I'm writing somewhere gorgeous and fair. And the residents have no idea what they're caught up in.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I don't approve of absolute monarchies, plus the society is sexist as hell. But if I ever get around to writing the second book, I'm sending the MC to a much cooler country. For a while.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Sure. I actually live where a lot of my books are set...

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand: space. On the other hand: the ass end of nowhere space where everyone is either military, miner, or criminal.

Maybe the city-state that's in the planned sequel. Still space, more shiny.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Mine is set in the city where I live, but in 1927. I can't say that I'd like to live then--I'd miss things like antibiotics, the Internet, and all the progress we've made in terms of feminism and civil and gay rights--but I'd certainly like to visit. And go shopping.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Medieval societies are not a preferred tourist destination, to begin with, and the entry to the town where my WIP takes place is adorned with multiple gallows, because my society is one that’s ruled by a psychotic sadist for a ruler. That means that my standard mode of irreverent sarcasm would land me on the rack or pulled apart by a team of horses in no time. There's no bucolic and pastoral atmosphere there, exactly.

So, no, I can’t say I harbour any particular wish to live in the place where my WIP takes place. Besides, there’s a plague coming, and the standard of medicine among the common folk is to wrap wounds in cow dung and throw salt over their shoulders.

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I do love the world where my WIP is set (after all, I created it), and it does have some cool elements - Minoan-inspired clothing, people who can control electricity, beautiful jungle and grassland scenery, and a culture centered on art and music :D On the other hand, I'm not that keen on living in a strictly class-based (and discriminatory) society where international relationships means "crush them like bugs" and medicine is interpreted as "put crushed plants into your unwashed hands, mix with spit until it becomes a paste, and rub into injury". I'm also not that keen on getting caught up in a civil war, invasion and religious conflict all rolled up into one.

It would be nice to visit, experience the best this world has to offer and meet a few of my characters, but I wouldn't stay for long.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
While living in a beach town might be paradise for some, it's not for me, so no.
Now ask me again when I start writing a novel that takes place in Paris. :)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My book is set where I live, and I have no desire to move. I could claim it's social commentary but I'm really just too lazy to research a new place.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to live there If im still writing it.... there's a lot of people there turning up dead lately.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of a trend lately, isn't it? a lot of YA books I've read lately, the author lives there (as stated in their brief page bio on the book). Chicago, Alaska, Oregon...

Myself, if I lived on the upper plate part of my city, wouldn't be so bad. Living in the slums below it, not so much.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Not today. It's where (general area) I do live, and it's over a hundred degrees at 5pm.

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
i have a lot of settings, but for my most recent story, i guess i wouldn't mind living there. it's kind of an advanced magical society, especially when it comes to the laws and its inhabitants, but they still don't have pens or televisions or anything high-tech. i'd definitely miss my laptop.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Depends on which one?
The horror book? Umm... meh. It's rural Texas. Whatever.
Fallen? Sure... actually, it's mostly set in San Diego, and I grew up there. Other location: Paris. Yeah. I think I could handle it.
Work in Query? No. Just... no. Post apocalyptic, yuck.
WIP? The location? Sure. The world itself? No.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It depends on who I was and what my social class, wealth and health was. While there are fantasy elements that make my fantasy world more comfortable, inclusive and pluralistic than the "real" early modern era, it's no utopia, and the death rate from disease and injury is still quite a bit higher, and the prospects for rising above one's birth are considerably less. There are times when I wish the pace of life were slower, and we lived in a world where life was a bit simpler, technology wasn't making human workers, even creative ones, obsolete, and there were more face-to-face interaction, and people lived closer to friends and family, and connection to others were more prevalent.

But then there's that thing about being able to go to a dentist who has and ultrasonic drill and Novocaine if I get a cavity, and sophisticated surgery with good anesthetic and a low rate of infection and death, and sewers that don't just dump waste in the harbor, and electricity and hot running water, and being able to listen to music at home without being a musician, and having access to lots of books and other forms of modern entertainment, and having a refrigerator, so I don't have to go to market every single day to get food (or have to grow/raise it myself).

The modern world is certainly more comfortable and leaves more people time for leisure activities. Plus, there's this nasty, dark magic in my world, and if you get caught up in it, you have a very tough needle to thread if you want to stay both sane and uncorrupted.

Last edited:

Alyssa L.

Registered
Reaction score
My book is set where I live, and I have no desire to move. I could claim it's social commentary but I'm really just too lazy to research a new place.

I'm also too lazy. Kinda. What can I say? :Shrug:

But live where my story is set? Uh...only if I was rich.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
My first book that's coming out next year is set on Safari but with mythical animals -- yes, I would LOVE to live there, or at least visit. Sign me up to ride horses across the savannah while trying to spot a chimera.

The WIP ... no, definitely not. It's set up in the mountains in a remote monastery that's been taken over as a military hospital.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to visit as long as I had immunity from their laws. The city is gold/tan stone with lots of wrought iron and silk pennants on the breeze. It's a hub for traveling minstrels and bards who often winter there before setting out on the road.