PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Women's World Cup 2015: Canada

Xelebes
06-07-2015, 05:39 AM
So this is going on.

Today saw the largest attendance of a soccer match in Canadian history: just over 53 000. Next highest attendance was Montreal Impact versus. . . MExico City's team. Somewhere around 48 000 for that one.

Canada won the first match against China. Sloppy play by Canada infuriated by the Chinese walling but managed to break through that in the last 15 minutes when after some substitutions, more disciplined players (like Kyle) got on the field. We'll see if the team can reel in their tempers for the next match.

ajaye
06-07-2015, 09:58 AM
I saw the end of that game, loved the sea of red supporters, and hearing the stadium erupt with that winning goal :) I saw a lot of the second half of NZ v Netherlands - NZ constantly attacking but Netherlands defence brilliant. Looking forward to Aus v USA Tues morning our time.

mirandashell
06-07-2015, 01:59 PM
That penalty was a tad dodgy though. Argument both ways on that one. But she did take it well.

I'd love to watch more of the games but the second game was on at 2 in the morning here!

ajaye
06-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Eww 2am's a tough call. When is England playing?

mirandashell
06-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Tuesday against France. 6pm BST so that's easier.

robeiae
06-10-2015, 08:25 PM
So, what did we learn in the first round of matches?

1) Germany can score but we don't really know if they can defend.
2) Sweden is overrated or Nigeria is underrated (I think the latter).
3) Hope Solo may be a real ass, but she's without a doubt the best keeper in the tournament.
4) Expanding the number of teams mostly just added cannon fodder.
5) Colombia players are mean.

dolores haze
06-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Really enjoyed the US vs. Australia match. My sons and husband joined me to watch. My boys were recruited to be (somewhat reluctant) goalies for their Spring travel teams this year, and they were greatly impressed with Hope Solo. (Must be the daughter of Han and Leia, said the geekier one). They noted that there seemed to be less diving and injury-faking in the women's game, though one thought that might be because they're playing on turf and nobody wants to fall over on that stuff.

Why are they playing on turf?

I rarely watch US soccer, just tuning in 'cos it's the World Cup. Question: is the announcing always this bad?

mirandashell
06-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Do you mean commentating?

Ours is a bit ropey but it's fairly normal. Cos of the time difference I only get to see one game a day. The best one so far was Nigera v Sweden. Although Colombia v Mexico yesterday was pretty good.

robeiae
06-11-2015, 01:02 AM
They noted that there seemed to be less diving and injury-faking in the women's game...Tell them to watch the Brazil matches.

I rarely watch US soccer, just tuning in 'cos it's the World Cup. Question: is the announcing always this bad?Yes. It's always woeful. MLS is a little better in the U.S, but not much.

The problem is the networks think name recognition is important. They're wrong, imo. People get annoyed by crappy play by play. Foxsports should have just gone with the BPL broadcast teams, imo.

VeryBigBeard
06-11-2015, 09:54 AM
It's been a lot of fun so far. Bit disappointed to see the poor turnout in Moncton, though I gather there were logistical issues. The Maritimes (where I'm from, BTW) have a mixed history with soccer. We usually don't support even university soccer--it's all football and hockey here--but the one time Canada qualified for the men's world cup they did it by making Mexico play in St. John's.

That penalty was a tad dodgy though. Argument both ways on that one. But she did take it well.

I'd love to watch more of the games but the second game was on at 2 in the morning here!

Elbow someone in the side of the head, it's a foul. It's unfortunate for China and it was a broken play--but there's no reason for the Chinese defender to have her arms out there, let alone add the swing. Nail someone in the head and it's enough of a safety issue that it has to be called. She has to be responsible for her body and the other players, and if it happens to be in the box....

So, what did we learn in the first round of matches?

1) Germany can score but we don't really know if they can defend.
2) Sweden is overrated or Nigeria is underrated (I think the latter).
3) Hope Solo may be a real ass, but she's without a doubt the best keeper in the tournament.
4) Expanding the number of teams mostly just added cannon fodder.
5) Colombia players are mean.

Agree with all these. The thing about the cannon fodder though is that by being here, it brings attention to the women's game in some countries that badly, badly need some attention given to the women's game. There's also prize money, just for playing (it's FIFA). That can go a long way in some of these programs. They'll get better.

Xelebes
06-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Why are they playing on turf?

Because FIFA refused to order the CFL teams who own or operate the stadiums to switch to pitch. I think the games in Moncton may be on pitch.

mirandashell
06-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Hold on, is turf not grass? Cos from what been said, the pitches are all artificial.

Xelebes
06-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Turf refers to astroturf and other facsimiles of real grass. I playing loose with the term "pitch" to imply the perhaps more snootier definition of real grass.

mirandashell
06-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Ah I see. Cultural differences then.

VeryBigBeard
06-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Turf in this context is probably FieldTurf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_turf). It's an artificial thingy made up of sand, rubber pellets, and green strands of plastic. It feels a lot more real than astroturf and plays very differently. It doesn't exactly play like real grass, though.

Moncton has turf. It has a grass pitch next door, but that one has had major issues when it rains and doesn't seat as many people. The main problem is that there aren't that many places in Canada where maintaining a good grass surface is possible without a dedicated venue and we just don't have many soccer specific stadia. There's a big controversy at BMO Field in Toronto because the Argos CFL team may move in there and no one's sure what will happen to the grass Toronto FC use. CFL can't use grass regularly without damaging it, and without using the CFL stadia Canada doesn't have anywhere near enough decent-sized venues.

FIFA has a rule that every surface has to be the same, thus turf. It would have been awesome if they had laid grass over the turf but I don't know if that would have held up for a month anyway.

mirandashell
06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
That makes sense really. It's better for every surface to be the same and the players will get used to it. As will the viewers.

Xelebes
06-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Any which way, I don't think Canada is going to go deep in this tournament. Our offense is very anemic outside of Sinclair. We will likely beat our group but not much after that.

VeryBigBeard
06-13-2015, 12:31 AM
A lot of people (not here) keep saying Herdman should put on Jessie Fleming and I agree with them because I like Fleming's game. But when a 17-year-old is what you've got on the bench to try and generate some creativity in midfield, you have a Problem.

It is a bit unfortunate that Canada's had to play two BunkerBall teams in its first two games. It's been hard to watch. I do think they can score when teams have to start opening up a bit come the knockouts. I'm more worried about the defensive miscues on simple passes. If they can eliminate those mistakes they could take the tried-and-tested Greco-Italian route and just not concede anything. They have looked good when space does open on the counter, but China and NZ didn't bother attacking so counters don't really happen.

I hate turf with a raging passion but that's because I have flat feet and when you do a double-header on an overused artificial surface around mid-day it's like running on boiling concrete. When it's new, like these pitches, it's pretty supple and not that different than a really short grass field.

robeiae
06-13-2015, 06:12 AM
I have to say, the refs aren't acquitting themselves very well, so far. Way too many mistakes in way too many games, from what I've seen.

VeryBigBeard
06-13-2015, 08:10 AM
I can think of two major ones:

-Neguel was, I gather, terrible in Mexico - Colombia.
-Domka's AR missed a massive offside in Ivory Coast - Thailand. Domka's a great ref but had an off night and her AR might be done.

Anything else, I'd say there's generous space for debate. I think Sweden should have had a penalty tonight, but there are reasons not to call that. The penalty Canada got against China was spot on. New Zealand probably should have had a penalty against the Dutch, maybe.

The nature of any World Cup is you get a couple newer refs from smaller countries where the leagues they see week in week out aren't anywhere near the same level of intensity. That's a hard adjustment to make. If you know what to look for, you can usually tell in 5-10 minutes when the referee is in over his or her head.

Sometimes, refs just have bad games. Just like players. I can assure you that they feel 100x worse than anyone else as that's happening.

FIFA's assigning can be a bit arcane, but in general, a ref who makes a massive mistake will be sent home.

ETA: By the way, you haven't lived until you've been in a ref meeting arguing about this stuff. It puts AW thread derails to shame.

Ken
06-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Go USA !

robeiae
06-13-2015, 07:45 PM
-Neguel was, I gather, terrible in Mexico - Colombia.Yes

-Domka's AR missed a massive offside in Ivory Coast - Thailand. Domka's a great ref but had an off night and her AR might be done.
She missed more than one.

There have been other major errors. Some didn't result in a goal or take away a goal, but still impacted the game. And I don't get how the ref in the Aussie-Nigeria game kept the match going with Kerr clutching her face and writhing in agony off the ball. She can't be blamed for missing the elbow, but man, that's a head injury stoppage for sure. She was right there and basically walked over Kerr. Then there's the phantom loss of two minutes of stoppage time in one of the matches yesterday (forget which one).

I know it's not an easy job, but so what? Doing it poorly is still doing it poorly. Just as is the case with the players. Or the announcers.

mirandashell
06-13-2015, 11:09 PM
I am seriously surprised at how Sweden have performed. They are damn close to going out and for a team rated 5th, that's not good.

robeiae
06-14-2015, 02:05 AM
Could be worse. They could be France.

mirandashell
06-14-2015, 02:14 AM
They're in our Group. Are you expecting me to care?

rugcat
06-14-2015, 02:17 AM
I have not been happy with the play by the US.

They haven't been able to sustain any flow in their game for more than a few minutes at a time. Far too often, a promising sequence is broken up by a bad pass – not just a bad pass but an incomprehensible one for players at that level. Like directly to an opposing player with no US player anywhere near.

The only hope they have of winning the World Cup if they continue playing at this level is that other teams are struggling as well. If they don't pick up their game they're not even going to make it to the finals, imo. And considering the skill and depth of this team, I have got to put their poor play on the shoulders of the coach.

robeiae
06-14-2015, 02:35 AM
I thought starting Morgan Brian against Sweden was a dumb move. She was invisible most of the game.

One positive: Johnston has clearly arrived. She may be the best thing for the defense since Overbeck.

mellymel
06-16-2015, 02:51 AM
God I love the way Spain plays. I mean, they didn't win their last game, but man, watching the way they play...they have the best passing game/foot work in all of women's soccer. Very similar in style to the men's team. And they generally have such control of the ball. When they kick it, they're actually kicking it to someone on their team most of the time rather than kicking it randomly and hoping to God it lands somewhere near one of their team members. I'd like to see better passing in general in women's soccer.

And ugh, I can't stand the Brazilian team. That Marta...my goodness, what a faker. She's like the female version of Neymar. One of the things I prefer about women's soccer over men's is there's less acting, but then you watch the Brazilian women's team and they're doing it too. Did you see that one girl who was just walking with a player behind her and she acts like she got her foot smashed on??? Crazy.

And I'm still looking to see if there were any repercussions for what that Nigerian player did to the Aussie girl. That was one of the worst/most vicious things I think I've seen in women's soccer. It was shocking to see on replay and to know that nothing was done about it.

robeiae
06-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Canada advances, but it wasn't easy.

Meanwhile, New Zealand goes home again, thanks to a beyond horrible call by the ref.

robeiae
06-16-2015, 05:32 AM
And I'm still looking to see if there were any repercussions for what that Nigerian player did to the Aussie girl. That was one of the worst/most vicious things I think I've seen in women's soccer. It was shocking to see on replay and to know that nothing was done about it.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13079232/2015-women-world-cup-ugo-njoku-nigeria-suspended-three-games-elbowing-samantha-kerr-australia

Nigeria defender Ugo Njoku has been suspended three games at the Women's World Cup for an elbow to Australia forward Samantha Kerr's face in a match on Friday.

mellymel
06-16-2015, 08:28 AM
^^^ Ahhh...thank you. Not nearly harsh enough in my opinion. To deliberately do something so vicious to another human being...I mean, it was on purpose and had evil intent. These are professional athletes. I know this kind of stuff happens in lots of sports but it's just not a soccer thing. And how in the hell do they come up with a three-game suspension? Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. How does one determine that a jaw strike is worth three games? Why three?

VeryBigBeard
06-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Three is the standard FIFA suspension for violent conduct.

They can go higher but then the lawyers get involved.

VeryBigBeard
06-16-2015, 10:12 AM
That's rough for New Zealand.

One of the people on the ref forum I lurk on pointed out that it was the Hungarian ref at the last WWC who didn't call handling when a player caught the ball and held it in her arms in the penalty area. Then this Hungarian ref calls handling that wasn't there.

I thought Canada played their best game this time, though, and since nobody looks like a true favourite at this tournament yet anything could still happen. If we had a young striker as good as our young midfielders... Prince is okay and I thought Herdman could have called her. Hopefully Filigno or Tancredi show up at some point. Leon's OK but terribly one-dimensional. She needs through-balls to run onto. Sinclair needs service, too. I don't think it's a coincidence Canada's chances dried up when Fleming came out. I agreed with getting Scott in but Tancredi offered nothing again.

Xelebes
06-17-2015, 01:21 AM
I really like Kyle on the field. Does the basics but does the basics well.

dolores haze
06-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Wasn't quite sure if I saw what I thought I saw last night after the Nigeria vs. US match. But I guess I did. The Nigerian coach refused to shake the hand of the US coach.

http://www.oregonlive.com/fifa-world-cup/index.ssf/2015/06/jill_ellis_doesnt_get_a_handsh.html

The US won the match 1-0, but they didn't play very well, IMO. Couldn't score even when Nigeria was down to ten players. The commentating continues to be really lame. Last night the female announcer was extolling the virtues of the US team at length, talking about how the US team so easily takes the game to a level other national teams can only dream of, etc and so on. All the while the US team seemed to be having extreme difficulty scoring against one of these "lesser" teams.

robeiae
06-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Yeah, the commentating is really subpar.

As to scoring, I think the U.S. is not dealing very well with how their opponents are setting their defense. There's no plan B, let alone a plan C. There are a lot of potential goals on the U.S. side, but they're not fashioning the variety of opportunities they need to get some of them.

That said, they did win a tough group. And congrats to the Aussies for getting second in the group. Sweden...wow, three ties. Not so good.

rugcat
06-17-2015, 09:58 PM
As to scoring, I think the U.S. is not dealing very well with how their opponents are setting their defense. There's no plan B, let alone a plan C. There are a lot of potential goals on the U.S. side, but they're not fashioning the variety of opportunities they need to get some of them.
I agree, and again I have to put that on the coach.

Although an equal share has to go to lack of execution by US players. Time and time again, you'll see a basic play freeing a player on the wing for a run, and then the pass is struck poorly. I'm not talking about pinpoint passing; I'm talking about a pass to open space where anything in the approximate area would be a good one. But instead, the pass goes behind the runner or is struck too hard and goes over the endline.

Soccer is a game where legitimate chances are few and far between, and a good team must take advantage of them. When legitimate scoring chances break down because of repeated poor service, you have to wonder what these women have been practicing all these months.

This is what you expect to see in a college game, not a game at the international level.

I do however give props to Megan Rapinoe. She does make mistakes, but they are usually the result of a tricky attempt or a pinpoint pass, high risk high gain play. And her service off free kicks has been stellar.

But so far, I have been unimpressed and somewhat disappointed by the play of the American team.

robeiae
06-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Rapinoe, I think, has been up and down. But that's a damn sight better than being neither up nor down, which is what I think can be said about most of the other players. In particular, the middle has been anemic at best, i.e. Holiday and Lloyd. Part of that is certainly on them, but part is also on the forwards and wingers not finding them as outlets when the ball is in deep. That's Lloyd's breadbasket, at the top of the box, and she'll score goals from distance. And that's really what the US needs to open up the game, imo.

ETA: and to be sure, the coaching staff isn't taking the steps to make this stuff happen, so as you say there's plenty of blame there as well.

robeiae
06-18-2015, 02:04 AM
France and England stepped up big time. Good wins for both.

Have to admit, I was rooting against England. I really don't want to see the U.S. play Colombia. Too many possibilities for bad things in that match-up, from cards to injuries.

Priene
06-18-2015, 02:47 PM
That's something I never thought I'd see in a World Cup game: England scoring a penalty.

Once!
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
That's something I never thought I'd see in a World Cup game: England scoring a penalty.

It happens all the time. Unfortunately, the one or two penalties that we do manage to score are nearly always in the penalty shoot-out, while the opposition are scoring all five. And it's usually against Germany.

Priene
06-18-2015, 04:22 PM
It happens all the time. Unfortunately, the one or two penalties that we do manage to score are nearly always in the penalty shoot-out, while the opposition are scoring all five. And it's usually against Germany.

I must have blanked them from my memory. Or perhaps I couldn't see them at the time through my stream of unending tears.

crunchyblanket
06-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Colombia played well, mostly, but I could've done without the goalkeeper's theatrics. The women's game doesn't seem as prone to diving as the men's, but it's not completely absent. Fran Kirby was surprisingly quiet, I thought, and Aluko didn't even come off the bench. Still, at least England are through.

mirandashell
06-21-2015, 12:33 AM
I gave up watching the men partly because of the cheating. I was really hoping it wouldn't get into the women's game but it looks like a forlorn hope.

I thought England played better in that game against Colombia but I do worry for the Norway game.

mirandashell
06-21-2015, 12:38 AM
And to prove my point, this is a very cynical game between Germany and Sweden.

robeiae
06-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Well, Germany kicked Sweden's butt. Could have been even worse, really. Can't say I think much of the way Sweden approached that game. Their strategy seemed to be play not to lose and miss as many passes as possible.

rugcat
06-21-2015, 02:18 AM
Germany looked very powerful, indeed. At this point, you really have to consider them the odds on favorite.

mirandashell
06-21-2015, 02:10 PM
And that will be a shame. Cos they also dive and I was so hoping that wouldn't get into the women's game. I'll have to give up watching football all together if it gets any worse.

mirandashell
06-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Well! There's a shocker!

Australia just beat Brasil.

ajaye
06-22-2015, 04:34 AM
It was on at 3am here, the earliest we've been scheduled. So glad I got up to watch :D.

Xelebes
06-22-2015, 09:16 AM
And Canada took out Switzerland. The first five minutes were strong for Canada but our inability to project offense for the rest of the first half made it seem we spent an inordinate time in our end. Canada was able to command the second half of the game.

robeiae
06-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Thrilled with the Aussie win. Brazil seemed to have learned to play defense, but forgotten how to score goals.

Canada and Switzerland was a good match for Canada imo. Canada should have taken a few more opportunities and won 2-0 or 3-0 but I thought, as whole, it was a strong performance. Because frankly, I don't know how anyone can hope to stop Ramona Bachmann. Canada handled her well by limiting her options. As far as I'm concerned, she's the most dangerous forward in the woman's game right now. If Switzerland just had some competent and creative midfielders...

But the Swiss are out early, so my pick for the Golden Ball shifts to Le Sommer.

And for you Canucks out there, tell me something: is Josee Belanger related to former NHLer Jesse Belanger?

Xelebes
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Belanger is a common surname in Canada. Perhaps not as common as say Tremblay, but common nonetheless. They are both born on the south side of the river but in different regions. If I was a betting man, I'd say no.

robeiae
06-22-2015, 08:54 PM
It was the Josee-Jesse similarity that made me wonder.

Priene
06-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Made the mistake of going to bed at half-time last night, when it looked like England were going to get gubbed.

mirandashell
06-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Oh dear! I stayed up, thinking 'oh no, extra time, the dreaded penalties......' but was rewarded for my loyalty. It turned into a very good game in the second half.

Oh ye of little faith........

robeiae
06-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Well you know, it's funny. The dippy commentators--in the US--were criticizing Sampson's move to bring on Jill Scott, followed by Jodie Taylor, and those were exactly the right moves. Yes, Norway scored just as Scott came on, but that was off a corner. After that, the game changed. Scott and Taylor helped reverse the direction almost completely. Great job, England.

Priene
06-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Oh dear! I stayed up, thinking 'oh no, extra time, the dreaded penalties......' but was rewarded for my loyalty. It turned into a very good game in the second half.

Oh ye of little faith........

Where England are concerned, my faith can be weighed in nanogrammes.

dolores haze
06-23-2015, 10:36 PM
That Lucy Bronze goal was my favorite moment of the World Cup so far. She worked so hard throughout that dire first half for England, never gave up. Just so perfect that she scored the clincher, and it was such a beautiful goal.

The US-Columbia match. Ugh. Declared early that if the US commentators said "best in the world" one more time I would scream. I had a very sore throat by the end of the match. I considered muting the sound, but the supporters were so engaged and noisy that it actually felt like the high stakes World Cup match that it was. I've been lamenting the lack of World Cup atmosphere, though I'd guess (from the comments on Twitter) that I might be pretty lonely in my preference for loudly impassioned supporters.

The game was scrappy as hell, but the US is not impressing me. Yeah, they're athletic and skilled, but it was not an impressive performance against ten players with a third string goalie. Columbia played themselves into exhaustion, using every trick in the book (even the diving and writhing around, which the US was doing plenty of, too). Sorry I won't get to see Rapinoe play next game. She's my fave on the US team.

mirandashell
06-23-2015, 10:48 PM
That was a great goal. I jumped up and down but had to cheer very very quietly as my mom was asleep!

VeryBigBeard
06-24-2015, 08:34 AM
I've been lamenting the lack of World Cup atmosphere, though I'd guess (from the comments on Twitter) that I might be pretty lonely in my preference for loudly impassioned supporters.

No, not alone. It's disappointing because I'd like Canada to do better and we are selling tickets, but the atmosphere isn't great, especially on TV.

It's not even just that it's not hockey. Canada did huge things for MLS in terms of supporter growth, especially TFC. The thing is, it's women's soccer. It doesn't attract the frat boy crowd that the MLS clubs have marketed to. It could--there are ups and downs to that and part of me would like to see it happen so the atmosphere can get better. It also brings... unpleasantness, or at least it can. The current model (though there are signs it's changing... slowly) for WoSo is what MLS tried for years: marketing to families. 15-year-old soccer players and their parents cannot and will not fill a 55,000-seater and when they do, it won't be what it could be noise-wise or intensity-wise.

There are supporter groups. It would help if they were mic'd better but I figure FIFA and the networks probably wouldn't enjoy some of what gets picked up. American Outlaws have been a pretty big presence. So have the Voyageurs, and a couple other nations that travelled well. This is great--and they do a great job but they're small organizations even for the men and they rely heavily on getting the rest of the stadium going. That's hard when Dad's getting a burger and Mom's dealing with the baby.

Priene
06-24-2015, 03:41 PM
The US-Columbia match. Ugh. Declared early that if the US commentators said "best in the world" one more time I would scream.

And it's just wrong. Every four years they hold a big tournament to work who the best team in the world is. As it stands, that team is Japan.

mirandashell
06-24-2015, 05:00 PM
I have to admit I do miss the singing and chanting that you get at the men's games. Over here the songs can be very funny. Sometimes it's best not to hear what they are singing, though. :D

But I do miss it.

Priene
06-24-2015, 05:39 PM
I have to admit I do miss the singing and chanting that you get at the men's games. Over here the songs can be very funny. Sometimes it's best not to hear what they are singing, though. :D

But I do miss it.

I don't miss it much at England games, though. It's like ninety minutes of listening a pub bore / your local UKIP candidate / great-uncle Eddy who would have fought at El Alamein if he hadn't been six years too young to enlist.

edit: and I'd like to grab the instrument of every single member of the England Supporters Band and shove it somewhere unmentionable.

mirandashell
06-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Well, like I said, sometimes it's better if you can't actually hear the words..... :D

But you're right, the racist stuff I can well do without. It's the off-the-cuff I like most. When someone picks a song and changes the words to suit the situation. That can be pretty clever.

And also the up-and-down roar when a player nearly scores. I love that.

Priene
06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Do you have that thing where a song will only get going if it's taken up by the rough lads in certain parts of the ground?

mirandashell
06-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Dunno.... haven't really thought if they are the rough lads...... there is definitely more inventiveness from certain parts of the ground but I think it gets picked up cos it's funny or clever, not cos everyone is scared of getting beaten up if they don't sing. LOL!

Priene
06-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Dunno.... haven't really thought if they are the rough lads...... there is definitely more inventiveness from certain parts of the ground but I think it gets picked up cos it's funny or clever, not cos everyone is scared of getting beaten up if they don't sing. LOL!

Back in the 80s there was a big correlation between the noise that came from a stand and the people in it. The middle pen of the Barclay at Norwich or Pen 3 at Leicester, say, were full of menacing 20 yo blokes who generated huge amounts of noise. Songs from other parts of the ground were much rarer and never seemed to get much traction. The gender balance is a little different these days but in Norwich it's still the same area that the songs come from.

Cold Blow Lane, at least in my experience, was an exception in that the whole ground seemed to be full of headcases.

mirandashell
06-24-2015, 06:29 PM
It's been a long time since I've been to a ground, TBH. I'm getting too old to stand in the cold! But you could be right, thinking about it. Back in the 80s I did stop going to St Andrews cos it all got too violent. Went to an ocassional game when it all calmed down but never went back to going regularly cos it got too expensive.

robeiae
06-25-2015, 07:22 PM
FiveThirtyEight's breakdown on the remaining teams: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/womens-world-cup/

My predictions:

US over China
France over Germany
Australia over Japan
England over Canada

Yeah, I like upsets...

Priene
06-26-2015, 12:29 PM
England to win a quarter final. Hmmmmm.

robeiae
06-26-2015, 03:44 PM
And Germany to lose one. That's only happened once, when they lost to the U.S. in 1999.

robeiae
06-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Gah!TM

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 01:50 AM
Oh no..... we all know where this is going, don't we?

Flipping typical, they'll win it cos of a dodgy penalty. Again.

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 02:37 AM
I hate penalties. I really really hate them.

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 02:40 AM
I told ya! They never ever lose on penalties. Not the men or the women.

FUCK!

TBF, it was the fault of the French really. They had 5 nailed on chances in that game. They should have been 3 up in the first half.

But still....... FUCK!

dolores haze
06-27-2015, 03:26 AM
Dammit. Wanted France to win.

robeiae
06-27-2015, 03:29 AM
Yeah. But as mirandashell said, France had chances and failed to capitalize, especially that last one in extra time. Wide. Open. Net. Has to be a goal.

robeiae
06-27-2015, 04:23 AM
I want to reach through the TV and strangle Tony DiCicco. He's sooo friggin' annoying!

Newsflash Tony: you're not the coach. Stop critiquing every single thing that the U.S. players do. And we get it, you're in love with Amy Rodriguez. Enough already.

dolores haze
06-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Do it, Rob. Strangle him. Quick. Before I burst a blood vessel.

robeiae
06-27-2015, 05:47 AM
So, one semifinal is set: Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea

But I was really hoping for Arsenal vs. Chelsea...

rugcat
06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Yeah. But as mirandashell said, France had chances and failed to capitalize, especially that last one in extra time. Wide. Open. Net. Has to be a goal. Exactly.

Still, that was a heartbreaking loss. France played such a beautiful game, only to lose by not taking their chances.

The US actually looked quite good for the first time in the tournament. Maybe it had something to do with taking Abby Wambach out. In previous games, all the US did was slam long balls into the center toward her hoping she could get a head on one and score a goal. Even when it works it's ugly, boring soccer.

The US/Germany game should be quite interesting, though I think the France/Germany game will prove to be the best one of the cup. It's idiotic that it was played as a quarterfinal knockout stage.

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 01:14 PM
So, one semifinal is set: Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea

But I was really hoping for Arsenal vs. Chelsea...

Errrmmmm..... when did they start playing in the Women's World Cup?

Priene
06-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Substitute 'women' for 'men' and Gary Lineker's old maxim still applies:

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 07:22 PM
I know. Depressing isn't it?

Priene
06-27-2015, 07:56 PM
I know. Depressing isn't it?

It's fine. England have a fantastic record of squeezing through quarter finals and going on to win the whole tournament.

mirandashell
06-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Are you alright? Have you forgotten your meds today?

Priene
06-27-2015, 10:44 PM
World Cup Fever innit.

robeiae
06-27-2015, 11:09 PM
I think England can win. But what do I know. I was pretty sure of my France pick.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Bad luck, Australia! But well done to Japan. Another one-nil win.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 03:46 AM
Well bugger me and call me Doris! There's a shocker......

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 05:23 AM
To all Canadians, sorry about that....

:hooray:

robeiae
06-28-2015, 05:34 AM
I was so happy the England coach started Jill Scott. She made a big difference down the stretch. A shame for Canada, though.

Beyond that, I thought the refereeing in that game was terribly inconsistent. Rough on the players when they have no sense as to what will be called and what won't.

VeryBigBeard
06-28-2015, 06:32 AM
No. Just, no. Umpierrez had a great game. Excellent player management reining in two physical teams without overly limiting them. Sure, she adjusted her level a bit throughout the match, allowing her to gain control early and then loosen it up through the middle. My only quibble is that she called a lot of trifling stuff late when the kick for Canada wasn't really an advantage.

That's the kind of ability so often missing from the toughest matches in the WWC. It really can't be stressed enough how tricky Canada - England could be for a relatively inexperienced Uruguayan referee. CONMEBOL doesn't have a lot of big women's games or a lot of teams that play with the same direct physicality as these two. This game was one of the ones that could have gone very badly and it didn't. Umpierrez deserves huge credit for that and I would expect we'll see her again in Rio.

VeryBigBeard
06-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Ref hat off, fan hat on.

Gutted for Canada to lose, but quarters was reasonable for this group and they kept the semi competitive. It's not a stretch to say that CanWNT 2011 Edition folds after the second goal and gives up eight goals. They've come a long way mentally.

The current group of key players are past it. Tancredi and Wilkinson worst of all, but Sinclair and Matheson aren't far behind. Sesselman is regressing, and Herdman deserves some flack for starting Tanc and Sesselman despite poor performances from both. It wasn't a surprise when the first mistake came and in some ways I wish Canada could have lost without beating themselves. No less credit to England, though. Scott was good, so were Carney and Williams. Would have liked to see more Eny Aluko and less honking of the ball over the top, but that's England I suppose.

I was happy to see Leon play well at this tournament. Ditto Lawrence and of course Buchanan. Add a 21-year-old Fleming instead of a 17-year-old Fleming and you have a pretty good spine. I wish Canada could produce strikers and creative players, though. There'll be some commentary in the next few days about how awesome the team was, and that's good because they did alright, but there'll also be some commentary about how broken our development system is, and that's better because it's true. We're way too dependent on the NCAA and NWSL, both of which are broken models (as MLS teams found out about 5-7 years ago) and the sooner we realize that and create a proper pyramid at least some domestic option for more than a handful of female players the sooner we avoid the inevitable brick wall rapidly approaching the American program.

I do look forward to USA - Germany.

Xelebes
06-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Sesselman is so frustrating to watch. There is at least one fumble of the ball that can be expected from her each game that requires Tara MacLeod to bail her out. And its always her, not the other defenders. The other defenders make smaller mistakes every now and then but not as big and visible.

Xelebes
06-28-2015, 06:48 AM
but there'll also be some commentary about how broken our development system is, and that's better because it's true. We're way too dependent on the NCAA and NWSL, both of which are broken models (as MLS teams found out about 5-7 years ago) and the sooner we realize that and create a proper pyramid at least some domestic option for more than a handful of female players the sooner we avoid the inevitable brick wall rapidly approaching the American program.

Yep, I do wish we would have a pro women's league. We have a pro hockey league. Let's get the women's league up and running (and the pipeline that comes with it.)

VeryBigBeard
06-28-2015, 07:31 AM
I wish we could have a pro men's league so we have a chance at hosting the 2026 World Cup and maybe qualifying before 2034. Ultimately we need to get to a place where we have both but we only just got a women's hockey league going and it's small and tentative. Obviously there are some legit issues in the way, namely stadia, interest, and the size of the country. I feel like we inch closer every once in awhile, but it's a long way off.

Tournaments like this only help, though. It will come eventually. I could write a book about why this is needed and why it's hard, but there are people better equipped to do that: Daniel Squizzato, Ben Rycroft, Duane Rollins, Ben Knight, Dave Rowaan. There's a whole network of online and local grassroots soccer writing in this country that the average person in BC Place today never sees.

I realized tonight that Sesselman has no right foot at all. She could hide that as a LB, but every time she tries to make a first touch pass with her right she falls over. It's been happening for awhile and I feel like Herdman should have recognized it way earlier.

Priene
06-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Well bugger me and call me Doris! There's a shocker......

I perfectly timed my switch from utter pessimism to ridiculous optimism. We are England. We have three lions and stuff and we can outhoof every other nation on the planet.

robeiae
06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
No. Just, no. Umpierrez had a great game. Disagree. Again, inconsistent. What was a foul one moment wasn't a foul the next. She may have controlled the game but that doesn't mean she called it well. She didn't blow any huge calls, but than she never really had to make any.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 04:49 PM
I perfectly timed my switch from utter pessimism to ridiculous optimism. We are England. We have three lions and stuff and we can outhoof every other nation on the planet.

I would have preferred a bit less hoofing over the top, TBH!

But I am glad we won cos it's the furthest we've gone in a World Cup. And they fought hard. Especially in the second half. There were a few times I thought we were going to throw it away again.

I was very impressed with the Canadian keeper though. Very strong. I like to see a keeper come out and control her area. Speaking as an ex-right back, it makes a hell of a difference to a defence when they have a keeper they can trust.

Thought the crowd were a bit off though, booing our keeper's injury like that.

Priene
06-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I would have preferred a bit less hoofing over the top, TBH!

You can never have too much hoof in hoofball.

But I am glad we won cos it's the furthest we've gone in a World Cup. And they fought hard. Especially in the second half. There were a few times I thought we were going to throw it away again.

If we got to the final it would surely be against the Germans. It's always against the Germans.

Thought the crowd were a bit off though, booing our keeper's injury like that.

Doesn't sound stereotypically Canadian. Well, I forgive them because their manager is a Geordie.

robeiae
06-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Probably the Americans in the crowd who were booing...

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Not unless the vast majority of the crowd were American.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 06:20 PM
If we got to the final it would surely be against the Germans. It's always against the Germans.

We have to get past Japan first. I'm not looking further than that.

robeiae
06-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Not unless the vast majority of the crowd were American.
Tis a joke.

Regardless, they booed because they thought it was time-wasting. They couldn't see her eye from the stands. She walked up the ball and basically sat down. If it had been the other way around, I'm sure English fans would have booed, too.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Ermmm..... there was a shot on the screen of the state of her eye. It was obvious she was in trouble. And even after they saw it they booed. It was just bad. And let's not let a stereotype colour our opinion, eh?

robeiae
06-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Whatever. Fans watching just the pitch couldn't see that it was obvious.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to stereotypes. What stereotype?

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Oh for gods sake...... this was a nice thread to talk about football. Now I'm just getting annoyed....

I'm off. I'll be back later when this nonsense has stopped.

robeiae
06-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Oh for gods sake...... this was a nice thread to talk about football. Now I'm just getting annoyed....

Ditto.

Priene
06-28-2015, 08:38 PM
What are you two going to be like if it's England v USA in the final?

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Not speaking to each other.

And it won't be. There's no way the US will beat Germany. I reckon it will be a Germany-Japan final.

Priene
06-28-2015, 10:59 PM
We will do Japan. I've had a seventh sense precog of Toni Duggan waving the World Cup from a double-decker bus caught in a snarl up just outside john Lewis on Oxford Street.

mirandashell
06-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Strong enough to put money on?

Priene
06-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Strong enough to put money on?

Gosh, no. I've had the exact same precog once before, only it was 2010 and John Terry was holding the trophy.

robeiae
06-28-2015, 11:36 PM
What are you two going to be like if it's England v USA in the final?
Actually I'd be pleased as punch if England beat the U.S. in the final. Because a) they would have to play well and would thus have earned it and b) it's good for the game, imo. Plus there are some Arsenal ladies on the England squad.

And actually, I think there's a fair chance of the final being U.S. v. England.

Germany is a better team than the U.S. but Johnston--right now--is the most dominate player in the tournament. And Hope Solo--who is still an ass--is the still the best keeper in the world. The U.S. isn't easy to score on, no doubt about it.

And while Japan would seem to have the advantage over England, I think set pieces could be what decides the match. And England can do some damage there.

rugcat
06-29-2015, 12:23 AM
Germany is a better team than the U.S. but Johnston--right now--is the most dominate player in the tournament. And Hope Solo--who is still an ass--is the still the best keeper in the world. The U.S. isn't easy to score on, no doubt about it. Agreed.

The US defense is very strong, maybe the best in the tournament. It's quite possible to have a game where Germany has the better of the play but the US still comes away with the win.

Plus, the US may be peaking at the right time. After a series of totally uninspiring performances in group play, they definitely picked up their pace and finally looked like a cohesive team against China. If they can continue that arc and elevate their game, even Germany will have a tough time with them.

And I am sort of glad it's not the US/France. I would have had a hard time rooting for the US in that scenario -- at least my support wouldn't have been quite so wholehearted. But Germany? Yes, I'm all in for the Americans to beat them.

robeiae
06-29-2015, 12:26 AM
And I am sort of glad it's not the US/France. I would have had a hard time rooting for the US in that scenario -- at least my support wouldn't have been quite so wholehearted. But Germany? Yes, I'm all in for the Americans to beat them.
I feel the same way. I was hoping for a France win from the beginning. Really like watching them play.

mirandashell
06-29-2015, 12:55 AM
:ROFL: Never mind sweetie. We all carry the pain of that one.

VeryBigBeard
06-29-2015, 05:15 AM
I suspect the fans booed the keeper because they thought she was wasting time. Which obviously she wasn't, but still. It's a custom.

If the US beats Germany it'll be because Germany have a swath of players playing hurt or out altogether. But either way it should be close and close games are good for the sport overall. It will be good to watch.

Final comment on the refereeing, and critique thereof: saying a referee was inconsistent is like calling the writing in a book bad. Good for you, you have an opinion. If you want to critique a referee, fine, but if you want anyone who actually refs to take what you say seriously you need to understand and analyze the actual technique. I don't expect fans to be able to discern every little thing a ref does or doesn't do. A lot of it is impossible to detect on TV anyway. The broad stuff, though, is not hard to find and learning some of it will make any comments you can offer more informed.

rugcat
06-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Besides having played for years, I also have done some refereeing, though only for amateur club games. It is an incredibly difficult task, and it's true that many people don't understand what is involved.

Nonetheless, there are bad referees, and bad refereed games, and you don't have to be a genius or have extensive experience in reffing games to recognize it when you see it.

Overall, I think the refereeing has been reasonable. But I have seen a number of suspect calls, and the fact that it's a difficult job is not valid excuse for them.

Priene
06-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Actually I'd be pleased as punch if England beat the U.S. in the final. Because a) they would have to play well and would thus have earned it and b) it's good for the game, imo. Plus there are some Arsenal ladies on the England squad.

England winning the World Cup would be huge for the game, and not only in England. The potential at club level is vast (we have roughly 40 men's clubs getting over 15k attendance and their grounds are empty every other Saturday), but it needs something to light the fuse. Cycling has gone from nothing to huge in a few years because of the exploits of people like Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins. If the women's team brought home the World Cup by playing beyond themselves and expectation that would be special. And they're actually likeable, which the preening, self-important, under-performing men's team stopped being many years ago.

robeiae
06-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Final comment on the refereeing, and critique thereof: saying a referee was inconsistent is like calling the writing in a book bad. Good for you, you have an opinion. If you want to critique a referee, fine, but if you want anyone who actually refs to take what you say seriously you need to understand and analyze the actual technique.I really don't (want people who ref to take me seriously). This is a messageboard in cyberspace. I watched the game and what I saw was inconsistency from the ref. This isn't something limited to soccer in the least. Happens in hockey all the time: things that are borderline fouls--at best--get called at one moment, but then the same or worse sort of things are not called in the next.

And refereeing a hockey game is no easy task, either.

So. What. Saying someone is wrong simply because they are not a referee is like a politician saying voters aren't allowed to question policy....

Priene
06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
So it's USA v Germany tonight. Any thought? My feeling is never bet against the Germans, even though they looked a bit ropey against the French. (Confession: I watched it in a pub and I was a bit drunk by the end of the second half).

mirandashell
06-30-2015, 06:13 PM
My money is on Germany. They may be ropey but they will win. Even if the ref has to help them out.

Priene
06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
My money is on Germany. They may be ropey but they will win. Even if the ref has to help them out.

A referee helping Germany out in a World Cup semi-final? That's hardly going to happen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo).

dolores haze
06-30-2015, 09:18 PM
I want the US to win tonight. I shall be cheering them on loudly. I want England to beat Japan. I shall be loud about it once again. Then, I'll be supporting England in the final while my three guys support the US. My husband says I'll never be allowed to apply for US citizenship if I can't love it enough to want it to win everything.

Can't believe I'm supporting England. First time ever! My kids are threatening to tell Canada when we're up at the lake this summer. Will have to gag them when we're crossing the border. On second thoughts, that probably wouldn't look too good.

robeiae
06-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Meh. Canada will just apologize for not doing more to earn your support.

robeiae
06-30-2015, 09:58 PM
So it's USA v Germany tonight. Any thought? My feeling is never bet against the Germans, even though they looked a bit ropey against the French. (Confession: I watched it in a pub and I was a bit drunk by the end of the second half).
The issue is still whether or not the Germans--or anyone else--can score on the Americans, imo. I don't think the U.S. will put up many goals--honestly, I don't think the coach is setting them up to score many goals--but they'll probably put up one or two. If they manage two, I think they win. If Germany wins, I expect it will be 1-0 or on PKs.

Priene
06-30-2015, 10:15 PM
My husband says I'll never be allowed to apply for US citizenship if I can't love it enough to want it to win everything.

Sounds like the American version of the Norman Tebbit Cricket Test.

mirandashell
06-30-2015, 10:17 PM
A referee helping Germany out in a World Cup semi-final? That's hardly going to happen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo).

Oh lor I remember that. It was horrendous. And to make it worse he stayed on to save a penalty in the shoot-out.

How that referee lives with himself, I do not know.

Priene
06-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Oh lor I remember that. It was horrendous. And to make it worse he stayed on to save a penalty in the shoot-out.

How that referee lives with himself, I do not know.

It's the goal kick he awarded that gets me. He didn't even give a foul, let alone a life-endangering assault.

Anyway, it's that, not WW2 or any of that bollocks, that makes me dislike the German team so much. And I'm married to a German.

mirandashell
06-30-2015, 10:35 PM
I know, I totally agree with you.

If someone put together a list of the worst games in the World Cup for cheating and cynicism, the German team would feature in most of them.

Priene
07-01-2015, 12:00 AM
I've watched a few of their domestic games when I've been over there. They're exactly the same.

rugcat
07-01-2015, 12:32 AM
I would love to hate the German team, but I just can't.

Nor the men's team. The stereotype would expect a German team to be ruthless, brutal, and mechanically efficient, and that's easy to hate compared to a more freewheeling exciting style of play. But in truth, the men's team has shown itself to play flowing, inventive, exciting soccer, even brilliant at times.

I haven't seen enough of the women's team to get a firm grasp on their style, but from what little I have seen they deserve praise, not approbation.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 12:38 AM
It's nothing to do with the style of play, Rugcat. Me and Priene have been watching football for a very long time and we know the history of the German football team. And it's not just because we're English either. A lot of countries have history with that team, trust me. Take a look at the link that Priene posted. That's the extreme of what they do. But they have that win at all costs mindset all the time.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 04:27 AM
What Hope Solo just did for that penalty was disgusting. And I'm going to bed cos this is a horrible cynical game and I don't care which team of cheaters wins.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Interesting game. Johnston could have gotten a red, for sure. Which would have been a real shame, as she played a great game aside from that. Really, she dominated the whole first half.

I thought Alex Morgan looked real good. She's playing herself into form and I would lay even money that she gets a goal--or two--in the final.

But Germany really didn't have any answers when it came to solving the U.S. defense. Had they scored on the penalty and had that changed the game such that the U.S. didn't score, it would have been a win very much against the run of play. The U.S. was--by far--the better team in this game, top to bottom. I thought Krieger and Morgan Brian had their best games of the year. Brian was surprisingly good, imo.

The worst thing about the U.S. was--imo--the poor corners. They had what, seven or eight? Only two were decent and those two both led to scoring chances. Some better corners and this game was over much earlier.

On the German said, Sasic was invisible for much of the game. Not entirely her fault, though. And the midfielders just looked slow, especially Popp. Also, I don't get why the Germans were taking so many shots from distance. Even if they had been on frame, they wouldn't have beaten Solo.

frimble3
07-01-2015, 05:49 AM
My husband says I'll never be allowed to apply for US citizenship if I can't love it enough to want it to win everything.

Can't believe I'm supporting England. First time ever! My kids are threatening to tell Canada when we're up at the lake this summer. Will have to gag them when we're crossing the border. On second thoughts, that probably wouldn't look too good.

Nah, robeiae is right.
If you're coming up from the States, and the kiddies have obviously been silenced, we'll assume that you are just good Americans who have only recently remembered the firearms in your trunk. We will release the children, confiscate the weaponry and wish you a happy visit.
Nobody is going to fret over your support of a foreign soccer power. Our national men's team sux. I hear the only way they will ever get into the World Cup is if their coach springs for tickets. Even if every other male player were to die, the Canadian men's team would go on to lose to women. Starting with the Canadian women, who at least got past the first couple of games. (We have high hopes for them. There's always next season.)
None of the die-hard soccer fans at work support the Canadian Men's Team. Unlike the U.S.A., there's no sense of obligation, and most people support the team of their own particular 'old country'. As well as some favourite team from back there: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Juventis, all are represented by fans in the mailroom.

Incidentally, we have one amateur referee, and two ex-amateur players in our ranks at work (one Italian, two of English descent). I don't have to watch the games, they do live re-enactments of the more interesting or controversial plays from the previous game.

ElaineA
07-01-2015, 07:00 AM
What Hope Solo just did for that penalty was disgusting. And I'm going to bed cos this is a horrible cynical game and I don't care which team of cheaters wins.

Aww, being from Seattle, I totally feel you, Miranda. Hope Solo has a long history of playing on the wrong side of the edge. We get every ugly detail on the news here whenever she pulls one of her stunts (and have since her college days), and I often wonder if the rest of the country actually knows what she's like. She's neither a nice person, nor much of a "sportsman," but apparently being the premier goalkeeper in the country wins out. The USWNT should have suspended her for commandeering the team van for a drunken ride with her equally questionable husband. *sigh*

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to paint the whole team with the "cheaters" brush.

ETA: The PK came on a foul that was clearly outside the box. Should never have been a PK. Second goal, though. That was solid.

rugcat
07-01-2015, 10:28 AM
What Hope Solo just did for that penalty was disgusting. And I'm going to bed cos this is a horrible cynical game and I don't care which team of cheaters wins. Hope Solo may not be a very nice person, but she didn't do anything on the penalty hundreds of keepers haven't done before her.

The US penalty, however was definitely outside the box. Even so, I thought the game was extremely well officiated. And I was glad to see that second goal, because it would've been a shame to have the game decided by a suspect penalty call.

Bottom line is that the Germans played a good game, but the US played a better one and they deserved the win. For once they played up to their capabilities and with some real desire and heart.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
That said, I'm not sure it's fair to paint the whole team with the "cheaters" brush.

ETA: The PK came on a foul that was clearly outside the box. Should never have been a PK.

Ok, maybe not the whole team. Just those two.

:D

I wrote that when I was tired and mad last night. And other keepers doing it is absolutely no excuse. If the England keeper had done, I would have been even madder.

Priene
07-01-2015, 04:01 PM
These kick-off times are just unfeasible in midweek.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 04:04 PM
I know. And the game isn't repeated anywhere to watch later. It's just highlights.

Priene
07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
And iPlayer is terrible. You'd think a half-hour slot on BBC3 at 10:30 or so wouldn't be so difficult to arrange.

(Or even 9am the next day. I'm self-employed, honest.)

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
9am on the red button would be fine. The tennis doesn't start till 11:30.

And I don't watch iPlayer if I can help it. Buffers far too much. Although Clangers is ok.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Hope Solo may not be a very nice person, but she didn't do anything on the penalty hundreds of keepers haven't done before her.
It's funny. I feel compelled to note Solo's flawed character now, every time I mention her. I can't think of any other player who causes me to do the same. Well, maybe Suarez. And I think there's a fair argument to make with regard to not letting her play this World Cup. But on the field, well Solo's the real deal. She plays her position perfectly. Really, she could have gotten a yellow for delaying, but she was certainly not breaking any new ground there. Sasic is a professional and knew the score. She just missed. Lloyd didn't.

And yeah, the foul by Krahn was outside the box. But it was a helluva hip check...

Priene
07-01-2015, 04:44 PM
9am on the red button would be fine. The tennis doesn't start till 11:30.

Good job the Tour de France doesn't start until next week. I should get a little exposure to summer.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 05:05 PM
I'd stay in if I were you. It's fecking hot out there.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Really, she could have gotten a yellow for delaying, but she was certainly not breaking any new ground

I really don't understand that reasoning. If someone burgles your house and then says 'but I'm not doing anything new, hundreds of people have done it before', are you going to be happy and let them off?

Hope Solo cheated. That's the whole of it.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 05:24 PM
By that reasoning, every delay by every player--from throw-ins to injuries to free kicks--would be cheating.

The ref is there and gets to make the determination. Solo delayed, true. But she wasn't cheating, per se. Bad sportsmanship to some degree, depending on one's point of view. And that degree is ultimately determined by the ref. She could have not given Solo so much time by showing her a yellow, I guess. Personally, I would have been fine with that. It would have been fair. 'Course, the German players jockeying for position weren't helping things, either.

Still, no one prevented Sasic from scoring. She missed. Solo and others can assume the delay contributed to that miss, but there's no way to actually know.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Ok fine. You believe what you want to believe. The rest of the world know she's a cheat.

And I'm leaving it there as this is becoming circular and I've got better things to do.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I think the rest of the world knows she's an ass. There's not much disagreement in that regard. And I think that fact colors every discussion about her now. Her fault, of course.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Ok, I know I said I was going but that has to be answered.

The rest of the world, most of them don't know who she is apart from being the US keeper. I only know about the court case and the drunken behaviour because it was mentioned on here. She really doesn't mean that much outside the US. So her behaviour off- field has very little to do with how people feel about her behaviour in the game last night.

The US team really isn't the centre of the footballing universe. And now I really am gone.

Yeesh.

Priene
07-01-2015, 05:56 PM
I'd never heard of her until a couple of weeks ago. Her name sounds like a belated edition to the Star Wars canon, though.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Han's unknown sister the stormtrooper?

dolores haze
07-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Well, I thought it was a great game. Scrappy and bloody, just the way I like it :) But aren't they supposed to cart injured players off to the sidelines for treatment? And isn't there some kind of concussion protocol they're supposed to follow? That German player looked like she could have used some stitches instead of continuing to play. Respect to her, though. Tough lady.

Didn't care for Solo's delaying tactics at all. But I also tend to get yelly when the winning team is playing kickabout to use up time at the end of the match. Don't like it when players lay around after a rough tackle so they and the rest of the team can get a rest and a water break. But I recognize these are tactics. I just yell at them :)

Priene
07-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Didn't care for Solo's delaying tactics at all. But I also tend to get yelly when the winning team is playing kickabout to use up time at the end of the match. Don't like it when players lay around after a rough tackle so they and the rest of the team can get a rest and a water break. But I recognize these are tactics. I just yell at them :)

It's not something I like to see. But if England are 1-0 up on Japan with half an hour to go tonight they can drop the ball in a trench and cement it over and I won't complain.

dolores haze
07-01-2015, 06:23 PM
If you're coming up from the States, and the kiddies have obviously been silenced, we'll assume that you are just good Americans who have only recently remembered the firearms in your trunk. We will release the children, confiscate the weaponry and wish you a happy visit.
Nobody is going to fret over your support of a foreign soccer power.

Oh, I know. The kids are just enjoying busting my balls. We come up to Canada frequently and love it, often support Canada in international sports just out of fondness for the country and its people. Happy Canada Day!

PS: Could you leave the firearms and confiscate the children? I could use a wee break from them :)

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 06:59 PM
It's not something I like to see. But if England are 1-0 up on Japan with half an hour to go tonight they can drop the ball in a trench and cement it over and I won't complain.

I will!

Priene
07-01-2015, 07:05 PM
I'll admit it would be tough to watch it at half-one in the morning, but needs must.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Ok, I know I said I was going but that has to be answered.

The rest of the world, most of them don't know who she is apart from being the US keeper.Well, that's true. I assumed you meant "rest of the world who are paying attention the WWC." And those who are, by and large, know who Solo is, mostly because a) she's the best keeper in the woman's game and b) she's been a public ass.

So, I seriously doubt the "rest of the world knows she's a cheat." You think she is. I think that's going too far, as I don't think she cheated, per se.

robeiae
07-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Didn't care for Solo's delaying tactics at all. But I also tend to get yelly when the winning team is playing kickabout to use up time at the end of the match. Don't like it when players lay around after a rough tackle so they and the rest of the team can get a rest and a water break. But I recognize these are tactics. I just yell at them :)Ditto. Though the diving gets me more wound up than anything else.

That said, what's becoming a close second for me--with respect to poor sportsmanship--is players lobbying the ref to issue cards. It's getting out of control.

Priene
07-01-2015, 08:08 PM
I know it's probably too much to ask, but having experienced every dismal England tournament exit since León 1970 ('lost 3-2 we know for sure, you can't put the blame on Bobby Moore') could we not lose tonight?

Ta.

mirandashell
07-01-2015, 08:10 PM
You trying to keep your record going? ;)

Priene
07-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't bloody surprise me if I did.

robeiae
07-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Apparently Carney is out and Duggan is in (http://www.espnfc.us/gamecast/422264/gamecast.html) for England's starting lineup tonight. I'm a little surprised, but obviously I don't know the reasoning. I'm happy Jill Scott is getting another start, though. I like her game.

Japan looks unchanged from the previous match.

dolores haze
07-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Bah!

robeiae
07-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Man, that's tough. I teared up a little, I have to admit. It was a good game and someone had to win, but not that way. Any way but that way.

ElaineA
07-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Oh, wow. Wow, wow, wow. Heartbreaking for...was it Bassett? You could see her foot sweeping from inside out to push it to the right of the goal, but man, just did not get the foot on it well.

ElaineA
07-02-2015, 05:01 AM
I know it's probably too much to ask, but having experienced every dismal England tournament exit since León 1970 ('lost 3-2 we know for sure, you can't put the blame on Bobby Moore') could we not lose tonight?

Somehow I feel this one might take the cake.

dolores haze
07-02-2015, 05:04 AM
The worst ending ever. *leaves a pile of valium for the Englanders*

rugcat
07-02-2015, 07:02 AM
It can be a cruel, cruel game indeed.

mirandashell
07-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I didn't see it live. I fell asleep whilst it was still 1-1.

Oh, poor Laura Bassett. That will haunt her for years. Oh lor..... seems the England women have the same rotten luck as the England men.

Scuse my language but...

FUCK!

mirandashell
07-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't bloody surprise me if I did.

:Hug2:

Priene
07-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Well, that was all very much as you might expect.

mirandashell
07-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I know. Terrible ain't it.

Priene
07-02-2015, 12:05 PM
As the great John Cleese once said

It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand

Still, you have to admit that doing a Geoff Hurst into your own net in the 92nd minute was a novel twist.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 12:15 AM
This is going to be one of those games, isn't it? Chance after chance and then we get done on penalties. I can feel it in my water.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 12:49 AM
Well... half time and we haven't conceded. But Rachel is right, our passing has been sloppy.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:21 AM
Fuck me. Sorry about the swearing but.... fuck me. We scored a penalty against the Germans. In extra time. I think it's the first time I've ever seen that. I know it doesn't mean much if you're not English and don't follow the football but honestly..... you have no idea what this means. Actually.. if you're American you might. Remember when Russia beat America at basketball in the Olympics? I feel exactly like the Russians when they had 5 mins to go.......

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:25 AM
Feck! Bounce! Oh god my heart..... come on ref blow the whistle.....

- - - Updated - - -

Son of a bastard! That was only just past the post..... COME ON ENGLAND!

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:29 AM
NO no no ... don't play it into the corner! OH SHIT....... no.... ah crap a corner. This isn't good for my heart you know. I'm too old for this much excitement.....

Throw in with a minute to go.... hold on England.. please hold on....

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:30 AM
JeSUS! Two more minutes.... well done keeper!

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Don't play it into the fecking corner! Go for goal you nump! 30 seconds......

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:32 AM
YES! Yesyesyesyesyes! We just beat Germany in a World Cup game! Unfuckingbelievable!

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:35 AM
Look at that. I can't even..... sorry I'm a blubbery mess at the moment.

dolores haze
07-05-2015, 02:35 AM
Well done, England! That was one hell of an exciting game.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 02:40 AM
We are getting a medal...bloody hell. I'm so sorry. I'm just.... I'll be back in the morning when I've calmed down a bit....

robeiae
07-05-2015, 02:48 AM
It was a good game from England. Germany had a few chances but couldn't take them.

A lot of bitching about the penalty, but imo it was absolutely the right call. The German player clearly held Sanderson. The German side has no room to complain there. It was stupid and obvious.

And it was an excellent penalty kick by Williams.

I think the English team really showed a lot in the tournament. Most of the experts didn't think they'd do well--let alone win 3rd--but they were very, very strong. They played as well as anyone else. Shame about the own goal, but that shouldn't overshadow a great tournament, imo.

On the flip side, Germany blew out a couple of teams, but beyond that never really lived up to their top billing, imo. Sasic will most certainly get the Golden Boot, unless Lloyd goes nuts in the final, but that's not saying much, given the group matches.

frimble3
07-05-2015, 03:04 AM
Hey, I'm not a big sports fan (I watched because of you fine people, and the guys at work) and even not understanding the finer points, it was engrossing. A real nail-biter at the end.
Mirandashell, rest up, collect your thoughts, I assure you, it's not all a dream, you won't wake up to find that it never happened.
:hooray::e2cheer:

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 03:22 AM
:D

Thank you!

Williebee
07-05-2015, 03:25 AM
We are getting a medal...bloody hell. I'm so sorry. I'm just.... I'll be back in the morning when I've calmed down a bit....

I missed the game. Reading Mirandashell's "play by play" made up for it. (Completely sincere, here.) Thank you.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 03:45 AM
You're welcome! I was in bits. It was a special moment and why every sports fan watches sport.

ElaineA
07-05-2015, 03:46 AM
Me too! We're without television where we are and my computer decided to shut itself down so it's nice to get a flavor of how thrilling (if heart-endangering) it was. Thanks, Miranda! and WOO HOO! to all the Brits here who are fans!

rugcat
07-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Germany is technically the better team.

But England played with more heart, more desire, and made a couple of crucial plays with some fine goalkeeping where Germany missed a couple of crucial plays. And that penalty was foolish on their part. And in a World Cup game, one great play can spell the difference between victory and defeat -- and so can one foolish play.

I thought England deserved the win, all things considered, and I'm happy for them.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 12:59 PM
So.... I didn't dream all of that then? We did actually beat the Germans in a World Cup Game? We actually came third? Flipping eck......

Priene
07-05-2015, 07:31 PM
So.... I didn't dream all of that then? We did actually beat the Germans in a World Cup Game? We actually came third? Flipping eck......

It's because I decided the result was a foregone conclusion and decided not to watch.

mirandashell
07-05-2015, 10:41 PM
You didn't watch? Really? Oh Priene!

robeiae
07-06-2015, 03:08 AM
Sasic will most certainly get the Golden Boot, unless Lloyd goes nuts in the final...
Hmmm...

ElaineA
07-06-2015, 03:22 AM
Whoa. This is...something else.

anastasiareeves
07-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Soccer is not really my sport but my Twitter feed is lit up with excitement for the US team. I am living vicariously through the people I follow. Go USA.

buz
07-06-2015, 04:54 AM
bwaahahaha *slobbers everywhere *

ElaineA
07-06-2015, 04:56 AM
Congrats to the US Women's Soccer team. I guess they were pretty determined not to let Japan get into their flow, eh?

I saw a tweet I thought was interesting:

Charles Clymer ‏@cmclymer (https://twitter.com/cmclymer) 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/617847986345877504)
U.S. Men got $9 million for getting to the Round of 16.U.S.
Women will get $2 million for WINNING the World Cup.
#USAvsJPN (https://twitter.com/hashtag/USAvsJPN?src=hash) #WorldCupFinal (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WorldCupFinal?src=hash)

The following for the women's team has grown by leaps and bounds. This discrepancy is pretty lame, but we can hope next WC the women's team will see a little more respect. They certainly deserve it.

robeiae
07-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Nine goals through the semis, five goals tonight. That's leaving it all out there, for sure.

Personally, I was very impressed by Morgan Brian the last couple of games. She was really, really solid. And she's part of the future of the USWNT, along with Johnston. With players like Alex Morgan and Tobin Heath still having plenty of years left, that's pretty good.

But I also think this game brought out some of the best from Japan. They played hard and looked dangerous throughout the game. A lot of talent there moving forward, as well.

E.F.B.
07-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Wait a minute, did we win? Did the US win the World Cup? *goes to google* We won! Yeah, baby, we won! WOOHOO!!!!
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/onceuponabetsy/GQMFGIFs/dancingcolbert.gif

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/atlasfugged/seinfelddance.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/screamingdolai/tumblr%20happy%20gif/dance.gif

*regains composure*

I don't usually follow sports at all, but when I heard the US hadn't won the FIFA Women's World Cup since 1999 and we were in the finals, I started keeping my eye on it. Go team USA!!!

*throws a smoke bomb on the floor and disappears ninja-style, most likely never to be seen on the Sports and Fitness board again*

dolores haze
07-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Congrats to the US women! I wouldn't have minded a closer, tougher match, but that's how it goes sometimes. That England vs. US final will have to take place in my dreams.

The World Cup was fabulous. Next time: I demand grass, more money for the winners, better commentary, and scantily clad men in high heels bringing out the loot. Make it so!

rugcat
07-06-2015, 05:34 AM
The US came out in the first 20 minutes, played as well as it's possible to play, and destroyed the Japanese team. They simply had no answers. From a neutral point of view, those early goals we're a shame, because after that, the US hung back, defended, and let Japan possess, and started playing the long ball again.

You can't really blame them, but without that cushion of goals, I think their play would have been different and made for a more exciting game.

Not that I'm complaining, really. I don't think I would have enjoyed another nail biter.

buz
07-06-2015, 05:38 AM
that kiccccckkkkk wasssss riiidddooonkooolouuuussss

ElaineA
07-06-2015, 05:54 AM
The World Cup was fabulous. Next time: I demand grass, more money for the winners, better commentary, and scantily clad men in high heels bringing out the loot. Make it so!
+1
+1
+1
+++++1

frimble3
07-06-2015, 07:39 AM
I would like to thank all the sports-knowledgeable regulars whose commentary made the finals actually interesting to the un-knowledgeable. Whaddaya say to a return in 4 years with even more play-by-play? :D Thank you all.

Williebee
07-06-2015, 08:14 AM
I would like to thank all the sports-knowledgeable regulars whose commentary made the finals actually interesting to the un-knowledgeable. Whaddaya say to a return in 4 years with even more play-by-play? :D Thank you all.
+1

ElaineA
07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
I would like to thank all the sports-knowledgeable regulars whose commentary made the finals actually interesting to the un-knowledgeable.

You mean this, right?

bwaahahaha *slobbers everywhere *

frimble3
07-06-2015, 10:25 AM
It all adds depth. If all I wanted was the scores, MSN lists those on a little chart. It doesn't give the 'feel' of the event in the way that slobbering, cries of outrage, and giving reasons for one's satisfaction does.

robeiae
07-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Next time: I demand grass...I don't know. I can't enjoy games as much when I'm stoned...

Priene
07-06-2015, 03:04 PM
I don't know. I can't enjoy games as much when I'm stoned...

You're obviously not an England fan.

cornflake
07-09-2015, 02:03 AM
They're having a ticker-tape parade in NYC for the team. A ticker-tape parade costs a shitton of money. I mean that's nice they won, but ...

mirandashell
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Woh. Nice gesture though.

I always meant to ask. What's used instead of ticker tape now and does it get everywhere......?

cornflake
07-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Woh. Nice gesture though.

I always meant to ask. What's used instead of ticker tape now and does it get everywhere......?

Shredded paper mostly, and yes, but if there's one thing NYC is good at (besides the 24-hour thing), it's cleaning up after confetti-related incidents. The sanitation ppl had it cleaned up completely in a couple of hours.

Same as New Year's Eve - by like 4am, you'd never know anything had happened in Times Square.