Prices and consumption of heroin, 1990s UK

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
This is another one of those "only a writer would ask" type of questions, and probably a bit of a long shot even on here:

I'm trying to work out how much the street price of heroin was in 1990(ish) in England and how much a day an average user would get through so I can figure out the rough cost of a week's worth.

Google has me with about 3gm lasting 10 days but it's not clear if that's for pure heroin (which my guy wouldn't be able to get hold of) or the cut-with-ratpoison stuff sold on the streets at a price then of about £20 for half a gram. If that's street price and 3gm lasts 10 days I make that 2.1gm for a week or about £85 worth. That doesn't sound expensive enough to me, but I really wouldn't know.

On the vague off-chance anyone knows better, I'd love to hear it - It doesn't have to be totally accurate obviously, but rough ballpark would be good (obviously I'll respect the confidentiallity of PMs if someone can help but doesn't want to talk about this openly).

EDIT: Character has never used before but is being made to inject and I want him to be pretty much mashed out of his head for the whole week so may need him to use more than that?

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much on the heroin front, but 85 quid could be expensive depending upon his wage (where does he work and how often?) Or, sometimes deadbeats like that don't work and just get some money from the government. But the national minimum wage didn't start until 1999, so there's wiggle room that if 85 quid isn't expensive enough to you, maybe he doesn't earn nearly as much.

For example, how old is he? When the NMW started, it was either £5.13 (for those 18-20) and £6.50 for 21+. If he works a full 40 hr week, that's either £205 or £260. But not everyone lands a 40 hr a week job. Maybe he only works part time.. maybe 20 hrs at most? So then a 20 hr work week at £6.50 puts somebody earning at about 130 quid a week. He also needs to pay rent, utilities and buy food. So suddenly that £85 in heroin is taking up a bigger chunk of the pie in comparison to everything else.

And that's if this is even taking place in 1999 when the NMW started. If you're thinking earlier 90's, you can get away with setting him at a lower wage.

You can also fudge his heroin intake a little. How dependant is he? Maybe he takes about 3.2grams or 3.5grams every 10 days. Fudging a few decimal points can help increase the price.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Thanks - he's a crook so his income isn't a steady wage anyway, I guess I can make him have a bad week or something so he's not got much money. Cheers.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, crooks might not have a steady job to go to. Happy to help. :D