calling mechanics!! hotwiring an old ford?

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
So, a little (operative word) bit of mechanic knowledge but not much and I need my MC to be able to hot wire an old Ford 150 (actually, it does not have to be a ford but needs to be an older truck - I have - sadly - been around a bunch of old fords so was staying with what i'd seen but flexible on that!)

This is what I came up with but I need to know what i'm missing! Would the thing actually, really turn over? It is an old pickup that has been sitting for a while.

- connect positive side of the ignition coil to the positive battery wire with...? a stretch of wire? then find the battery cable and follow it to the starter solenoid. Use a screw driver to touch the wire (which wire?) coming from the solenoid and...?

do I need to do anything about the steering column (I had not thought about that but found something that mentioned it)

also, I am thinking that if it DID turn over, you don't want to run it for long because that battery is not recharging...is that correct? So that if my MC needs to do an errand she should leave the thing running? And when she removes the screw driver....it should cut off?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!

I am NOt writing a manual on hotwiring but I need the general process to be correct!!! ;)

Dinkydau

Registered
Reaction score
To clarify what Bombergirl wrote, is that the screw driver is only used to activate the starter. Once the engine fires, remove it just as you would when you allow your key to spring back to the neutral position. The wire from the batter + side activates the coil which gives energy to the system which makes the engine run. When removed, the engine will quit.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I don't think I'll be hotwiring anything soon but great information and videos - although I'm not good enough to go under the dash!!! And thanks for hte bit about removing the screw driver!!! So the wire has to go from the ignition coil to the + bat side, right? and the screwdriver would just short the terminals on the solenoid, which is on the side of the truck(firewall)?

Maybe I'll go try it out on a neighbor's...:)