Write 50 pages in a week challenge- Starting Saturday, June 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting lazy and need a boost. Let's do another 50 pages in a week challenge.

Write anything you want, your choice. Or a lesser amount or number of pages of editing or whatever, just so you state it at the start.

Sign up here and get your screen name posted when Friday 6/12 turns to Saturday 6/13. It starts Saturday, 6/6, whenever the clock hits midnight where you live.

Everyone is welcome, of course.

WHO'S IN?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, you have to check in here at least once a day.

Anyone? :)

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna do this, but I start summer camp next week, so no promises. :p

What kind of 50 pages do you mean? Microsoft Word pages, Google Doc pages, 250-words-per-page pages? Or is it just up to the person?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I go by 250 words= a page but it's up to you. Or you could sign up for less than 50 pages if you want!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm in, although it's already 2pm on 6 June where I am. (Blasted time zones.) Imma finish this cup of coffee before I start, though.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I just set myself a goal of 10,000 words a week until my WIP is finished. 50 pages might be a bit of a stretch, but what the heck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, but that's been my exact average for about fifteen years. I wrote more before that, but I find fifty pages per week perfect for long term writing without burnout.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! Anything to kick my arse into getting started on this book.
Keep getting interrupted to edit the last one.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, everyone!

Well, Mr. Ritchie, that is why you support a household on your writing while, so far, I get about $100 a month from my three books. Perhaps you will share your daily methods, tips and such as we go through the week? (Really, I think you should write a how-to book about it).

If anybody else wants to participate, feel free to join in.

Don't forget to check in with your daily update!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I aim for ten handwritten pages a day (ordinary ruled; if I'm using narrow-ruled paper, I go for eight) and sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. I don't beat myself up when I fail to make that goal, though, because often, thinking about what I'm writing and how to focus it is far more productive.

The thing to do is to try to silence that inner voice which tells you that the words you're getting down aren't good enough. Just get those words down and then deal with making them good later. You'll be surprised how much better your work becomes when you stop worrying about it. If you struggle then write that down: "I'm trying to get ten pages down today but I can't seem to write a single one and I keep on worrying that I'm writing crap but I am going to keep writing no matter what and there's a dog barking over there in my neighbour's garden and that's distracting me, and that neighbour is an absolute bastard because of that thing he did with the bins and I suspect he steals things from my garden when I'm out..." It's amazing how much this paying attention to distractions and problems by pinning them down to the page sparks my writing. Try it. And good luck!

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Though I need to edit 35 pages so I'll be aiming for that.

I may have been putting this off... :gone:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I didn't have much luck with this the first time I tried it, but my work schedule is finally less crazy, and I have a lot of writing I want to do.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, count me in too. I need to chisel my way out of a mental block.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's everyone doing so far?

I'm going though my notes but no new words yet. I'm in a motel suite (one large room) with DH and son and they are watching basketball. There's still hope for after they go to sleep though.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Well, I haven't written a thing yet and I don't think I'll get anywhere today, because some arsehole has decided that today (a public holiday) is the best day ever to bring in a portable sawmill.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
^ Helix, that's been happening in my neighborhood just about every day for the last two weeks. And if we don't have someone sawing wood, the lawn mowers are buzzing.

I didn't have much writing time this weekend. Managed to squeeze out 500 words this afternoon. It's a start. I'll buckle down tomorrow.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm hoping that it'll break down irreparably. These are the folks who clear their drive with a leaf blower. The drive is 130m long. It's also in a rainforest.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I got 8 pages edited yesterday. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I was lazy and only edited two pages today.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
With five days down, I've written 6,900 words. That puts me on track to exceed my regular target of 10,000 words for the week, but I don't think I'm going to hit the 50-page / 12,500-word mark.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see someone is getting ahead!

Usually starting a challenge either motivates or shames me into writing, but this week I've been far too busy being ridiculous to bother. :(

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Same, Fruitbat. Murphy's Law has struck my entire house hard this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.