What exactly is cult sci-fi?

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
I'm scanning Netflix in the sci-fi category. There is also a sub-category called cult sci-fi. I tried to google it but can't come up with a clear definition.

What exactly is cult sci-fi?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
My guess: a sci-fi film, likely low-profile when released, that has - for whatever reason - developed a cult following.

IMHO, it seems about as useful a classification as some of Amazon's "categories" for its movies, like "Feel Good" and "Exciting" and so forth... in other words, rather useless, and occasionally misleading.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess: a sci-fi film, likely low-profile when released, that has - for whatever reason - developed a cult following.

Yup, that's it. Firefly is a great example of a cult sci-fi TV series.

IMHO, it seems about as useful a classification as some of Amazon's "categories" for its movies, like "Feel Good" and "Exciting" and so forth... in other words, rather useless, and occasionally misleading.

I think it's okay. I think it shows what movies/tv shows were found and turned out to be good/popular. Though sometimes it's nostalgia or because it was so goofy.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Where are the mods here? I remember we used to have one here who would point out that this is a subgenre of WRITING genres, and it's about WRITTEN SF (AND FANTASY).

Here we are, a more recent mod's admonishments:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/announcement.php?f=39&a=221

With the mention of the Netflix category, this thread is DEFINITELY about movies. I started to write a response to the topic, but I'll wait for this to get moved somewhere appropriate.

Now for me to report myself ...

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Where are the mods here? I remember we used to have one here who would point out that this is a subgenre of WRITING genres, and it's about WRITTEN SF (AND FANTASY).

One is dealing with a critically ill beloved pet and the other is dealing with a massive influx of relatives for their kid's graduation tomorrow.

Seriously, that was an absolutely uncharacteristically assholish post from you, Ben. I'm happy to move the thread, but may I strongly suggest you consider the merits of an apology.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'll move this to TV/Movies.

edit I'll let Zanz do it. Mostly because I'm exhausted from losing said pet.

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Cult sci-fi could very well be written rather than filmed. All it takes is to have a small, but very enthusiastic, audience.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Bruce Campbell, Lord of the B Movies, once described mainstream cinema as the sort of movie that a million people watch once, whereas cult cinema is the sort of movie one person will watch a million times.

Anything that garners an enthusiastic, but smallish, following, could be described as cult-like. It's not so much the quality or elements of the thing itself, but the way people react to it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firefly = cult.

Star Trek =/= cult.

(Not taking the number of fans of both into the equation)

While both groups are eternally faithful to their source, the numbers are against Firefly. It was canceled after one season, Star Trek survived three, plus gained four spin-offs (not counting the myriad web series that have popped up) and a Saturday morning cartoon. Firefly fans lucked out with an extra movie, Star Trek has 11? 12?, with one more coming next year.

Of course, Star Trek also has the history behind it, first broadcast in 1966, but unless something happens with TPTB, Firefly will probably maintain its cult status for years to come.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Cult movies are one of those things that are hard to pin down, but we can generally recognize them when we see them. Many are low budget and campy, but many are not. Generally, none of them are huge commercial successes, though. But I guess even that's not a hard-and-fast rule.

One thing they all have in common is that their "cult following" knows a given film inside and out, can quote most every line from it, and is given to glorifying it whenever given the opportunity.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that garners an enthusiastic, but smallish, following, could be described as cult-like. It's not so much the quality or elements of the thing itself, but the way people react to it.

I would tend to agree with this. I think a cult film is defined more by its following than by its content.