PDA

View Full Version : Responding to Reviews

mbuhmann
06-03-2015, 11:32 PM
I read that we're not supposed to respond to reviews, good or bad, because it has the potential to promote trolling. That said, I submitted my book for review on a site at the beginning of May. No one claimed it for review until the end of May, by which time several readers alerted me to a handful of errors I missed through countless read-throughs. Had there been a way I would have submitted the updated version of the book prior to the reviewer taking it on.

The review was generally positive, though he did mention that it wasn't as polished as it should have been which is fair. He still gave me a glowing review with 3 out of 4 stars, being docked the one because of those errors. Since the review is on a forum is it okay to respond to alert readers he had an older release and has since been corrected, or is it best to just stand back and let it be?

veinglory
06-04-2015, 12:08 AM
I think that situation can go either way. It depends on whether the forum is frequently visited by the authors and that is considered okay, versus being more of a reader's-only zone.

brainstorm77
06-04-2015, 12:24 AM
I don't respond to reviews good or bad. Whenever I see an author responding to reviews to me it comes across as being a bit 'off'. Also, I have seen too much conflict online from others doing so to have learned not to bother no matter what the review is.

Jamesaritchie
06-04-2015, 04:37 AM
I don't even read reviews, so I can't respond.

Brightdreamer
06-04-2015, 04:47 AM
I think that situation can go either way. It depends on whether the forum is frequently visited by the authors and that is considered okay, versus being more of a reader's-only zone.

+1

Personally, I'd be inclined to leave it be. If you do respond, keep it nice and simple, mentioning the cleaner update, then get out. You got three out of four stars even with errors, which is darned good IMHO; you do not want to come across as a nitpicker or an overbearing author, here, or readers will remember that more than the review. (You also don't want to put off that reviewer...)

mbuhmann
06-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I've elected to just let it be. Why poke the hornets nest. :)