Submissions question

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure this is the right place for this one, please advise if not.

So I'm readying my query 'pack' and I've noticed that agents ask for 'double space' documents.

Not a problem but I have noticed that it effectively doubles the number of pages of everything I do - my synopsis goes from one to two and my MS goes from 190 to four hundred!
Should I be concerned by this?

And also - Do I need to rewrite my synopsis to be one page in double spacing?

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscripts are documented in word count anyways so the page count doesn't really matter. For the synopsis, agents will usually specify the length they want. Which may mean that you need a 3-5 page version and a 1-2 page version, or none at all.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If an agent is requesting a certain page number excerpt from an MS (like "50 pages" or something), assume it is double spaced pages. However synopses are a little different, and in that case I'd assume it is single spaced. But yes, double spacing does double the length. And agents know that. When they are requesting MS pages they have that in mind. So they don't want 50 pages single spaced, that's twice as long as what they are requesting.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you for the clarifications. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis is usually single spaced. I usually just have the tabs set to indent at the beginning of each new paragraph, but I have run across them with no indents and an empty line between each paragraph. (I think that's non-standard, but it may also have to do with particular agent preference.)

You should probably check out any of the articles on Standard Manuscript Format (AKA William Shunn Manuscript Format). It's straightforward, but it sounds like you may be unfamiliar with it and making sure you have your pages formatted correctly will help pull you out of the vast pile of folks who haven't a clue.

Best of luck with your querying! :)