PDA

View Full Version : Fitbit is really disappointed in me. :(

mccardey
06-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Let me just say here that it's not my fault. I paid for my gym membership, but none of the members of my gym did any stepping on my behalf.

Bloody slackers.

So going to sack them. :(

Forbidden Snowflake
06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Next time you enter the gym just give someone else your fitbit, ask them to wear it for you, while you go and have tea or a sauna/steam session.

mccardey
06-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Thank you. I'll do that. :Hug2:

mirandashell
06-02-2015, 07:49 PM
:D Has it told you off?

I hate machines that tell you off. The automatic till in the supermarket told me off the other day. I told it what I'd do to it if I ever buy a screwdriver. ....

EMaree
06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Ah yes, the Fitbit sad face of shame. Just hop around on the spot for a bit, that'll sort it! :D

mirandashell
06-02-2015, 09:00 PM
If you throw it out the window and then run over it in the car, does that count?

asroc
06-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Is that one of those things that counts steps based on wrist movement? If so, do you have a teenage boy around you can give it to?

DancingMaenid
06-04-2015, 02:01 AM
:D Has it told you off?

I hate machines that tell you off. The automatic till in the supermarket told me off the other day. I told it what I'd do to it if I ever buy a screwdriver. ....

Me too.

Several years ago, I was using the Wii Fit game, and one time when I turned it on, it told me that I'd gained a few pounds since last time. Then it gave me a list of options and made me choose which one I thought was the reason for my weight gain. I chose "I don't know" because frankly, I wasn't too worried about a few pounds and wasn't going to justify such a small gain to a video game. Then the game said something like, "Really? Are you SURE you don't know?" Hmph.

mirandashell
06-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Oh my lor... a machine trying to make you feel guilty. That would be straight into the bin. Fecking cheek!

mrsmig
06-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Me too.

Several years ago, I was using the Wii Fit game, and one time when I turned it on, it told me that I'd gained a few pounds since last time. Then it gave me a list of options and made me choose which one I thought was the reason for my weight gain. I chose "I don't know" because frankly, I wasn't too worried about a few pounds and wasn't going to justify such a small gain to a video game. Then the game said something like, "Really? Are you SURE you don't know?" Hmph.

I still use my Wii Fit faithfully, and the weight gain reasons make me crazy because there's no option for "I had a drink with dinner last night; so WHAT?" or "I'm post-menopausal, BITCH," or "I ate my feelings yesterday; THANKS SO MUCH for your support."

Actually, none of that bothers me as much as the little moan it gives off occasionally when I step on the scale. For those of you who don't Wii, I'M NOT KIDDING.

mirandashell
06-04-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry... it moans when you step it? Seriously? With the passive agressive nagging it seems it was programmed by a Jewish Mother.

mrsmig
06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry... it moans when you step it? Seriously? With the passive agressive nagging it seems it was programmed by a Jewish Mother.

Not all the time. Sometimes it'll say "GREAT!" in its high squeaky voice. There's a third option but I can't remember it for the life of me at the moment. (Like I said, post-menopausal.)

ETA: Remembered the other option - it's a surprised-sounding "OH!" Could be interpreted as "OH! You've lost so much weight!" or "OH! You're so much fatter than you were yesterday!"

mirandashell
06-07-2015, 03:18 AM
Hell yeah, straight in the bin!

CassandraW
06-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Yes, that would go straight in the bin for me too. I hate perky, and I hate nagging. That's why I won't do fitness classes and trainers. I certainly don't want a mechanical thing doing it.

Mccardey, do you wear the fitbit all day, or just at the gym? Wearing it all day might give you a better feeling about how much exercise you're getting in a day, and it might be more than you think. I'm quite athletic, so I use mine more for fun (and because I get reimbursed on my health insurance if it tracks 10,000 steps a day). But it's been quite interesting to see how many steps I actually take in a typical day, even without formal exercise.

Yesterday, for example, I did a five mile run. That got me around 10,000 steps. But you know how many I steps I logged for the day? Over 20,000! Granted, yesterday I cleaned my apartment, went to the farmers' market, and walked to the grocery store, so it was certainly more steps than usual. Still, I've found it's a rare day when I don't get in at least 6000 -- just living my life. And that stuff counts, too -- walks to the store, going up and down stairs, gardening, housecleaning, pacing while on the phone. Heck, I pin mine on as soon as I get up in the morning!

FYI, I've also found it matters where I wear the fitbit. If I attach it to my shoe, it tracks more steps. (Wrist is second -- unless I'm doing something like upper body weights where my arms move more than my feet. Hip is third.)

Oh, and strange but true -- it logs more steps if I walk 5 miles than if I run them. About a thousand more! I'm sure it's because my running stride is longer than my walking stride, hence fewer "steps."

ETA:

I live in NYC, don't own a car, and walk or take public transport everywhere, which probably means I walk more in the average day than most. Still -- my 70 year old mom, who lives in the 'burbs and drives everywhere, wore my fitbit thing for a couple of days while I was visiting, and found she chalked up 3000 steps just doing housework and laundry in a house with a basement and a second floor. She typically does a 2 mile walk most days -- that gets her up to 7000-8000 steps.

kuwisdelu
06-08-2015, 06:57 AM
I live in NYC, don't own a car, and walk or take public transport everywhere, which probably means I walk more in the average day than most.

Yup. My daily walking step count (excluding running) shot up dramatically after moving to Boston for the summer.

Sage
06-08-2015, 07:08 AM
I like my fitbit for the challenges, though I was not happy that "steps" are counted by wrist movement, since often when I'm seriously walking, I'm moving my arms to the music I'm listening to. But give my a quantifiable challenge, and I love to beat it. Give me a person to defeat in a quantifiable way, and I'll keep going.

OTOH, I quickly figured out problems with my shoes after a few days of exceeding 10K steps, and I haven't found replacements that don't kill my feet with these challenges.

As for the Wii, all I can say is: :Wha:

mccardey
06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
I think part of the problem is that I stopped wearing it. Also I stopped walking, because of the Terrible Laziness. :(

ETA: On the plus side, I lost a kilo, because absolutely not one muscle. Not one. :Sun: (Muscles are terrible things.)

CassandraW
06-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Do you have a pet? Attach the fitbit to the pet's collar and watch those steps add up! Or perhaps a ceiling fan.

Gilroy Cullen
07-14-2015, 11:18 PM
If you drive, just rock your wrist back and forth a little. It counts steps.
I know. I tried it. :)

I debated putting it on my cat, but those lazy buggers would lose me steps.