Translation Game! (No special language skills needed)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Is it me, or are automatically generated translations hilarious? Where else can you read Little Town (the famous Shakespearean tragedy) or learn about "the governer's car" (the political machine).

To celebrate the hilarity, I propose the following game.

Step 1: Select a random passage from your WIP.
Step 2: Paste that paragraph into Google translate
Step 3: Translate it to whatever language strikes your fancy.
Step 4: Copy the translation and paste it into the left-hand box (it should detect the language automatically).
Step 5: Translate to a second random language.
Step 6: Copy that translation into the left-hand box.
Step 7: Translate back into English.
Step 8: Post your results.

The results should look something like this:

Original Text:
They had another battle over tooth-brushing and, just when Fiero thought they were done with the lessons for the night, Shadow urinated in the corner of the living room, prompting a lecture on basic toilet-training. By the time the family meeting began the next day, Shadow was clean, dressed, presentable, and dancing with excitement. Fiero was exhausted.

Translation:
They brush your teeth, there was another battle of the above, Fiero, when promoting the corner of the living room, in a speech in the shadow basic toilet training, believed that they were made in the lessons for the night to have, urination. The next day, presentation, conference wearing beautiful clothes, shadow, was the beginning, and I was dancing with excitement. Fiero was tired.

Have fun!

Last edited:

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
They went under the stars, go to even take before the military. Almost burned the recent months. Still trying Amsukhar to go to the top of the hill, next to the depth of the pain and got up to give you the rest of the time, against him on the shoulder itself. The mountains of the region, lost in the dark, had fled.

​I could spend hours doing this :D Must… resist…

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The mountains of the region, lost in the dark, had fled.

:roll: While I love the idea of mountains being afraid of the dark, I'm dying to know what this was supposed to say!

Last edited:

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: While I love the idea of mountains being afraid of the dark, I'm dying to know what this was supposed to say!

I loved that sentence too, such a great image :D The original was He only stopped when a mist plunged the mountains into darkness.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Original text:
It wasn't until she turned onto the street she allowed herself a single wordless scream. It helped, although her throat ached. At least there were no tears left, so she could see to drive. Night fell early now, and she could barely make out the puddles in the Jade Garden's parking lot. The day had been cool enough to break out the red suede pumps, not yet waterproofed for the season. Dorothy Gale Goldgier Cullen owned quite a few pairs of red shoes, but these were her favorites.

After translation to and from Hmong:
It was not until he turned to the way he allows himself a single wordless scream . It helps , even if her throat ached . In the end there were no tears left , so he can see to drive . Night fell early now , and he could barely see the puddles in the Jade Garden station . The day was cool enough to break out of the red , have not been waterproofed for the winter . Dorothy Gale Goldgier Cullen with a few pairs of shoes , but these were his favorites . Interesting that the spacing with periods is off and that the translator cannot keep the feminine pronoun.

After translation to and from Turkish:
It was not until I returned to the street IITs ​​allowed himself only a wordless scream. Despite throat he ached helped . At least there were tears left , so I could see the driver. Late night fell early and puddles in the parking lot he can barely Jade Garden . Day red suede pumps, waterproof for the season had not erupted yet cold enough. Dorothy Gale Goldgar Cullen is pretty pair of red shoes , but these were his favorites. This was even better. It turned she/her into both I and he/his. It also lost negatives and misspelled proper nouns.

Maryn, remembering Firesign Theater's "Three New Words in Turkish: Towel. Bath. Border."

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Original:
“Wise, men, wise.” Vardan placed one hand on each of their backs and, at the doorway, bowed to allow them out first. The second they were both outside, he slammed the door shut, grabbed a chair from the table, and rammed it under the doorknob. Then, for good measure, he tipped the table up and leaned it against the door as well just as the guards tried to shove the door open. “Move fast, Boy of Ashes. Who knows how long until they break the door in.” He jangled a ring of keys he’d slipped off the old guard and tossed them to him. “Find our man’s cell and let us in.”

English to Finnish, Finnish to Maltese, Maltese to English:
"Wise, the wise." Vardan positioned on the other hand each of their backs, and at the door, bowed to them ensin.Toinen were both out, she slammed the door shut, grabbed a chair from the table, and crashed under the doorknob. Then, for good measure, he reached the table and leaned against the door as well as the guards tried to push the door open. "Moving quickly, the Son of ashes. Who knows how long until breaking the door." He jangled the keys to the ring was dropped off old guard and threw them to him. "Find our human cells and let us know."

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once crashed under the doorknob. Not my finest hour.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is entirely too much fun. I could see an entire writing session disappearing...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Original text:

“What did Rock tell you?”

“He said they beat you up, carved up your face and left you for dead.”

He flinches as I say that, but then he looks right into my eyes. In them burns the fire of a man intent on surviving no matter what. “I didn’t die. I lay there like I was dead until they were far away. My face was burning and I could hardly see - blood was in my eyes, but I could see enough to find the stream. The water made my face burn less. I found yarrow too. I kept walking upstream, further and further into the hills. I had nowhere else to go. I had to stay by the water - it was the only thing that eased the pain in my face. It was spring so it wasn’t hard to find food, but I was hunting alone so it was all small game.

Translation:

" What rock do ? "

" He said he was beaten , cut his face and left for dead . "

Shudders him as I do , but just look in the eyes . Among them the fire of burning man would be the total price . " I did not die, I stood there with the dead until they burned my face , and he could not see - . . . And the blood in my eyes , but could I see well enough to find out who made ​​the present consume less my face I saw yarrow keep me going up deeper and deeper into the hills to where I go I sitting in the water - . . . . . it is the only thing that eased the pain in my face in the spring to prevent it difficult to find food , but I only catch , and therefore less game .

-----
ETA: seen errors in my paragraph - I only wrote it yesterday so excuse the lack of editing!

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can hear Yoda saying "Shudders him as I do..."

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! The first translation turned my sarcastic schoolteacher into a would-be assassin, and the second one turned him into a taco! And somehow a guitar crept in there.

Original text:

Think what a paltry, threadbare criterion that is for classifying oneself a good man - I've never killed. But I teach, so it's probably only a matter of time.

Especially now.

It was Sunday, and I was as close to heaven as I am likely to get, which is to say I was at my kitchen table in a pair of boxers eating a folded waffle full of jam like it was a taco. My phone bingled.

Once through the wringer of Afrikaans:
Consider that a mere, worn criterion for classifying yourself a good man - I've never killed. But I'm learning, so it is probably only a matter of time.

Especially now.

It was Sunday, and I was so close to heaven as I tend to get, which is to say I was at my kitchen table in a couple of boxers eat a folded wafer full jam as it was a taco. My phone bingled.

Once through the wringer of Maori:

Imagine what an old criteria for depression and a group a good guitar - has not killed me. I was taught, and it's probably only a matter of time.

Especially now.

On Sunday, when I was as close to heaven as I could get in if I kitchen table in the second by the boxers waffle roll filled with jam as it was I am a taco. Bingled my phone.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is a scream.

English > Gujarati > Irish > English. I'm surprised how much of the gist, even the snappiness, of the conversation was preserved.

No city inspector. "Ah. Here beak. '

Sergeant bristled but ignore provocation equinox. Now, more power than they worked for the Empress. What is the story? '

"The woman wanted for murder learned at least four, that's what. A bloody captain of the secret police yesterday after releasing him in our custody, all I'll tell. The end is your captain, on one of the victims that I have but little consolation. '

Quicksilver snorted. "I have already explained what -"

'Shut up,' the inspector nose across her swiping, shrieked.

"Four?" Equinox asked.

"At least. First, we called her apartment was a bloody scene. There was no body, but still looked like a murder scene. We then immediately down apartment in a poor, defenseless old lady in search of body. It would pithed. Pithed!

"Then, after the explosion, there was a brawl near the campus. The suspect, and the captain was seen at the time of symmetry. Constable murky circumstances of my penalty, ended up dead. We are still interviewing eyewitnesses.

"And, in kidney pie, after briefly behind a fishmonger, his head missing, and the damned Woman with practical knife was sitting there, you've got the Captain! '

'Where is the head?'

'Well, it's a good question, is not it? We'd had time to think it was not enough to eat, but you know what? '

"You think I cannibal?" Quicksilver asked. At the equinox stared. He is caught in a hunter's fleeting gaze was uncomfortable sensation.

'Do you?' He said.

'Yes,' she fix him his eyes, he said. "I cut it into bite-sized pieces, sliced ​​symmetrical head out before the cops came, then I hurriedly swallow them. To hide the evidence, you see. I did not have enough time to go to work on the body. '

The inspector said: "What? Is there a receipt! He confessed. '

"You idiot," said Quicksilver and equinoxes later. At each other as they stared, then chuckled Equinox. Quicksilver blinked.

I think the second last line is actually an improvement. The original was 'The inspector said: 'what? That's a confession! She confessed to it.''

I'm impressed how far machine translation has come in a few years. I had to run a lot more iterations of translation into and out of Basque, Bulgarian, Yoruba and Japanese to get the kind of magnificent gibberish that Babelfish used to give.

"Where is the head?"

"Well, that's a good question, is not it? We are, but I think that should be enough time to think it did not have to eat what you want to know?

"What do you think? I and Cannibal" I asked Quicksilver. I stared at equinox. He was involved in a fleeting glance was Discomfort of Hunter.

"Are you?" He says that below.

"Yes," she corrected him in his eyes, he said. "I, I am in a hurry to devour them, slicing down a symmetrical head before the police come to hide the cut. Evidence in bite-sized pieces, please see. I want to go to work the body There was not enough time."

Inspectors said: "The receipt he acknowledged"?!.

"Idiot" Quick Silver and the vernal equinox, and he said later autumnal equinox. Each other as they stared, then laughed at the vernal equinox. Quicksilver blinking.

I like that Equinox's name has variously become a reference to both the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Ok, this is far too much fun.

Original:
Daniel lay back in the interface cradle and waited for the machine to replace his mind.

"Replace" was the wrong word – he could picture the dev team rolling their eyes – but that was how it felt to him. The system did more than augment, it consumed and possessed him, and he shook at the thought of it, begging it to begin.

The first blast of information alone was worth all the pain afterwards, all the paperwork and hanging around. He'd tried to shift his name up the rota a dozen times or more, but everyone else was trying the same thing. Four days he'd waited this time: four days hoping and praying one of the others would get hit by a car, or a bus, maybe a passing meteorite on leave from the Kuiper belt. Anything to move his name up the list. But no miracles had occurred, and he'd hidden his disappointment beneath friendly smiles and hellos, and wondered if you could go to Hell for wishing debilitating accidents on your co-workers.

Translated, via Burmese and Cebuano:
Daniel interface back to the cradle. His replacement devices monitor.

The roll their eyes dev team picture - "place" is the wrong word, but I felt him. The systems also increase. Therefore seized with a burning him, he began to ask, because I never shook.

Singles first explosion of data, then all the documents and all the pain is worth hanging around. He Rota dozen times or more open, tried to change his name, but others to try the same thing. This four-day wait time: a four others in prayer is expected to be hit by a car or a bus, the Kuiper belt to pass a bill that would allow meteorite. Open list nothing to remove his name. But no miracle happened, a friendly smile and a lower part of the Hello, hide his disappointment on your Co-workers and discouraging accidents if we go to hell for him.

I love the idea that the Kuiper Belt has to pass a bill to allow meteorites through...

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man. I plugged in a verse from a PB manuscript and the results were...disturbing. It sounds like a kidnapper went antiquing with his abductee in tow.

Original Text:
She found some old pieces of hummingbird egg,
and fashioned a sort of a carrying keg.
Her waist was so round
that it kept sliding down,
so she tied it instead to her leg.

Translation (via Finnish and Japanese):
He found an old piece of hummingbird eggs
Old-fashioned kind of barrel of book value.
Her waist was very round
It was going down the drag,
He tied her legs instead.

Last edited: