PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] Inkwell Management

Pages : [1] 2

erich v
11-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Carlisle & Company literary agents, on their website, require writers who submit their product to agree to certain terms. Most of these terms seem fine with me, except this following stipulation:

"Carlisle & Company and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motifs, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes; and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by Carlisle & Company and/or any of its clients or that may or may have come to Carlisle & Company and/or any of its clients from any other independent source."

Does this seem fishy to anybody else but me?

I would appreciate some input on this.

Thanks,
erich v.

emeraldcite
01-11-2004, 12:31 PM
erich: you might want to post that as its own topic on the board. you might get more responses that way.

omega12596
04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
This is a recommended lit agency, according to Pred & Ed. I actually found it because I was looking up information on Michael Carlisle. At any rate, they have a "release for unsolicited mss.[sic] via electronic submission"

http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/submissions.html

I was okay with most of it until I came to part under the "I agree that..." parts three through five. I read it as an 'just in case one of our peeps comes up with a story pretty much identical to yours, you can't touch us' but it seems to me it has an underlying implication that, if by chance one of our clients shoud accidentally see your stuff, and decide to write the same damn story, we aren't liable.'

Is this the norm?

CaoPaux
04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Such CYA clauses aren't uncommon with agencies that deal with a lot of script/screenwriters (which are even more paranoid than print writers about idea theft). Whether such clauses are effective, enforceable, and/or something to be concerned about, I dunno.
:Shrug:

victoriastrauss
04-17-2006, 11:50 PM
That clause isn't there to enable the agency to rip off your work with impunity; it's to protect the agency against frivolous claims of infringement. It's routine in the film industry; you don't run across it all that often in the book world, except, as Cao says, where agencies deal with a lot of film/dramatic stuff.

- Victoria

stepephen
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
This is definitely a legit agency. They represent The South Beach Diet Books, Shopaholic series, Anthony Bourdain, etc. They also do lots of celebrity memoirs, such as Tina Turner and an upcoming Andre Agassi.

Bealeblast
06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Has anyone heard of Melissa Mickelson at Inkwell Mangement Co?

I queried two other agents there over the past four months, and received two rejections from them. Then a month later received a request for a full from Melissa whose name is not on the website. I'm guessing either a new agent there or an assistant. I know it's a top agency. Any other specific info appreciated.

BrookieCookie777
06-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Can't say that I"ve heard of her - but usually if there are complaints on someone they will be easily found. I would trust but check around just to be sure. I can't see Inkwell hiring someone who would bring their name down.

Heck Why not?
08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello... newbie here. Was just wondering what the typical turnaround time is for snail mail submissions to Inkwell? Thanks, all.

jchapin
10-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi, new writer, just finished my first novel and am now in the process of flogging it to agents in NYC and environs (am in Nova Scotia). I opened the site for Inkwell Management, www.inkwellmanagement.com (http://www.inkwellmanagement.com), and see under their submission heading a great little disclaimer that includes the following: iii) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may use without obligation to me any material which is not legally protected; (iv) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes; and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients or that may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients that may have come to InkWell Management and/or any of its clients from any other independent source.

Now, I know I'm new and all that, but what I think I'm hearing here is that if you happily sign this and send in your cherished work, they can steal it. Am I wrong here? The larger query is, what does everyone do to copyright their stuff??

Many thanks!
Jennifer

Pamster
10-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Supposedly it's copyright protected by putting your legal name to it as soon as you've written it, but it sounds like from that it is no longer the case and they are trying to push the legal issues to make us go to extreme lengths to copyright protect our work. I wouldn't sign such a document...

herdon
10-05-2007, 12:31 AM
First, in the United States anything that is copyrightable is automatically copyrighted when it is created. For a writer, that means it is copyrighted as soon as it is written. Note: I said anything that is copyrightable. Ideas are not copyrightable. Only the execution of ideas (i.e. the actual story or article) is copyrightable.

Second, it's tough to say from just that snippet of the contract. It *sounds* like they are protecting themselves if you submit something similar to what someone else has already submitted that is in the pipeline to be published. It's not common, but I've seen it done. I think it is more common on the screenwriting side of things.

There is nothing in that wording that leads me to believe they are trying to grab any rights. For example, (iii) is really just saying "if you send us something that is public domain we can use it without your permission". (iv) is what I said above: two works on a similar idea. (v) is just protecting them where (iii) or (iv) are concerned.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so these are just my opinions.

jkorzenko
10-05-2007, 12:45 AM
iii) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may use without obligation to me any material which is not legally protected;

You're already legally protected. The moment you write something, as long as its original, it's yours.

(iv) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes;

This is what Havlen said -- it's a simple disclaimer that you can't sue them for similar or like work that's already been bought, being bought, almost bought.

and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients or that may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients that may have come to InkWell Management and/or any of its clients from any other independent source.

You can't sue them for a project that sounds like yours.

There really is nothing wrong with any of the above clauses. To me, I'd guess Inkwell has run the legal gambit at least once and their attorneys have determined that these statements are worthy disclaimers.

Julie

James D. Macdonald
10-05-2007, 01:02 AM
It means they spent too much time in Hollywood.

KikiteNeko
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about Londi Gamedze over at Inkwell Management? I can't find any information on her at all.

Twizzle
05-22-2008, 07:55 PM
hmm.

so, one site says Kim Witherspoon takes snail queries only. another site says she's not taking any unsoli queries. and inkwell's site just gives addresses.

anyone? Bueller?

*sigh*

I hate querying.

Vandal
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM
hmm.

so, one site says Kim Witherspoon takes snail queries only. another site says she's not taking any unsoli queries. and inkwell's site just gives addresses.

anyone? Bueller?

*sigh*

I hate querying.

I sent her snail mail. She sent a rejection three weeks later.

Twizzle
05-23-2008, 01:04 AM
hi ho hi ho it's off to snail I go then. thank you!

euclid
07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
You're already legally protected. The moment you write something, as long as its original, it's yours. Julie

Is this true? Following cancellation of my contract with 'Writers Literary Agency', I paid $70 to CRS / IPRO for copyright protection of my manuscript. I can't believe I was ripped off again?

euclid
07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a question (well, several questions) about Inkwell.

1. Are they new?
2. Does Michael Carlisle work there?
3. Does he represent Robert Harris (who wrote Fatherland)? I thought I read somewhere that he did/does.

I found Helen Zimmerman's agency. She lists Robert Harris as one of her clients. I read somewhere that R. Harris's agent (along with about 20 other agents) was leaving PFD and taking Harris with him/her.

4. Is Helen Zimmerman's agency new?

It's all very confusing

IceCreamEmpress
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Is this true? Following cancellation of my contract with 'Writers Literary Agency', I paid $70 to CRS / IPRO for copyright protection of my manuscript. I can't believe I was ripped off again?

Sadly, you were ripped off again.

There's no need to register the copyright of an unpublished work.

Also, if you filed yourself, the fee would have been only $35.

I strongly recommend that you read The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book by Susan Page and The Street-Smart Writer by our own Jenna Glatzer. Both books are really helpful in outlining the process and pitfalls of getting published.

CaoPaux
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a question (well, several questions) about Inkwell.

1. Are they new?
2. Does Michael Carlisle work there?
3. Does he represent Robert Harris (who wrote Fatherland)? I thought I read somewhere that he did/does.

I found Helen Zimmerman's agency. She lists Robert Harris as one of her clients. I read somewhere that R. Harris's agent (along with about 20 other agents) was leaving PFD and taking Harris with him/her.

4. Is Helen Zimmerman's agency new?

It's all very confusing1. No
2. If you mean this Michael Carlisle (http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/about_bios.php?id=2), yes.
3. Mr. Harris a client of Inkwell's, so it's possible.
4. No. Check the Index to find the thread for her agency.

There's no need to register the copyright of an unpublished work.

Also, if you filed yourself, the fee would have been only $35.It's $45 now, alas. But still way less than $70.

IceCreamEmpress
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
It's $45 now, alas. But still way less than $70.

If you file online (http://www.copyright.gov/register/), it's still $35. :)

Crinklish
07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
3. Does [Michael Carlisle] represent Robert Harris (who wrote Fatherland)? I thought I read somewhere that he did/does.

Michael Carlisle at Inkwell represents Robert Harris, author of Fatherland and, more recently, The Ghost. Helen Zimmerman represents Robert W. Harris, author of 101 Things Not to Do Before You Die.

andracill
07-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Is Catherine Drayton of Inkwell living in Australia? I heard somewhere that she was, and I'm curious how this affects her business dealings in the U.S.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
07-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm interested in this as well. The website says she moved back but she's on my query list. Anyone?

Marva
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Is Catherine Drayton of Inkwell living in Australia? I heard somewhere that she was, and I'm curious how this affects her business dealings in the U.S.

Yes. She lives in Australia. Apparently, in this crazy electronic age, it doesn't affect her business dealings at all. She's made US deals recently (March?) for publication in 2009. Of course, Inkwell is located in NY.

andracill
07-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Thank you, Marva! I'd heard good things about her, and she has a full...I guess I won't worry about the distance thing, in this case :)

FionnJameson
07-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Sent off an equery yesterday and got a form rejection email a few hours ago.

andracill
07-21-2008, 04:51 AM
It was a no today.

Mr. Anonymous
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Charlie Olsen gave me a nice, personalized rejection on my 100 page partial. Said he'd be willing to take another look at it if I went through with a rewrite I've been pondering.

Marva
07-26-2008, 09:42 PM
It was a no today.
Sorry to hear that. A full request tends to get hopes up.

I sent a requested partial on 7/16, but no answer yet. I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad sign. I know she received it since she emailed an acknowledgment.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
07-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Keep us posted, Marva. I sent my partial on 7/22.

Marva
08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Keep us posted, Marva. I sent my partial on 7/22.

I still haven't heard back as of 8/7/08. I wonder if that's a good sign? Anybody else heard back on partials?

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Nope. I've been watching for you with fingers crossed.

Marva
08-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Nope. I've been watching for you with fingers crossed.
I have seen only a couple of responses to submissions on Query Tracker. Of course, that doesn't account for everybody submitting. We'll keep fingers crossed for each other.

nerds
08-08-2008, 01:36 AM
I got a timely R from them on a query today, turnaround time was about sixteen hours. A form R but so nicely phrased it didn't hurt at all.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Catherine rejected my partial tonight. Just shy of a month.

Marva
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Catherine rejected my partial tonight. Just shy of a month.
Sorry to hear that, MovieGuy.

I still haven't heard, but if she got to yours, then I should be hearing something soon.

Marva
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Ms Drayton asked for my full on 9/5. Sent it 9/6. Particularly nice of her, she sent a 'got it' note back. I really appreciate that. At least I won't have any nailbiting over whether she received it or not.

JenWriter
09-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Okay, now I hope she got mine. She asked for it Friday and I sent it that night, but I didn't receive a "got it" note so I hope mine didn't get eaten by the email goblins.

Marva
09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay, now I hope she got mine. She asked for it Friday and I sent it that night, but I didn't receive a "got it" note so I hope mine didn't get eaten by the email goblins.
I don't think she'd get mad to ask her if she received it. Maybe she's working through them in some order and mine happened to be first in the list. Maybe wait a couple of days, then check with her by replying to her original request for the ms and just say you're checking if it arrived.

Why am I giving advice? I know nothing!

remembermee
09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Catherine seemed quite nice. After I sent a query email she got back to me within one day. She said she didn't think the subject of my YA novel would sell but given my publishing history she would like to see the first 20 pages. She rejected it. Overall time scale of this was approx 3 weeks.

lisalaura
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Any updates from people who have work submitted to Catherine Drayton? I just sent her a partial on Friday, but never received a confirmation e-mail from her. Hopefully she received it. Sounds like most people hear back from her in a few weeks? She's my dream agent, so we're waiting on pins and needles.

Have other queries, partials and fulls out too, so hopefully someone will bite. The waiting is tough!

andracill
10-02-2008, 02:27 AM
I sent a partial and then a full to CD in July. She was pretty fast with her polite no -- and then yesterday, I received a form reject for the query (which I'd sent in July, as well) from Inkwell Management, in general. :)

Currently, CD is considering a partial for another ms of mine.

Marva
10-02-2008, 02:30 AM
She still has my full since 9/6/08. No news is good news?

lisalaura
10-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the info Andracill. Good luck on the partial! Does she always send a "got it" response when you send her materials? I'm a little worried that my partial didn't make it because I never heard back from her that she received it.

Marva - No news is definitely good news (at least that's what I keep telling myself!) especially on a full. Please keep us posted on how it turns out. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

JennyCP
10-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I got a "got it" e-mail from her as well when sending my partial, so I'd maybe make sure she got yours. She's only had mine a few days now, but I can't help but obsessively check my e-mail.

JenWriter
10-02-2008, 03:06 AM
I didn't receive a "got it" email from her, but she did receive the partial because she later asked for a full. So, in my case, she didn't respond but it went through fine.

andracill
10-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I never received a 'got it' for either partial (or the requested full). I usually assume they did get it, I guess :) If I haven't heard a thing after 2 months (on either partials or fulls), then I'll SQ with a simple, "Wanted to make sure you received this" type note.

Marva
10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Catherine Drayton rejected my full a bit over one month after submission. Rats!

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry, Marva. Thanks for sharing. I wondered how you fared. Keep popping them out there!

lisalaura
10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Marva - She rejected our partial in just under 2 weeks. We were disappointed, but I guess she just wasn't "the one"...

MagicProduct
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
I thought I'd share my statistics, to contribute to the general pool of data. I sent my query to Richard Pine at Inkwell in early December. The turnaround was:

snail mail query ---> request for full mss = 6 weeks
mss emailed ---> "mss received" email = 1 week
"mss received" ---> no thank you, not for us = 1 week

I will say that Pine['s assistant] did send an awfully nice & reasoned justification for why they were passing. Still smarts, of course.

Erin
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I queried Alexis Hurly on 11/16...still waiting for a response. I may chalk up it to being lost and requery her this weekend.

balletgirl
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Sent off query 10/20/08.
First response - a request for a full ms on 2/23/09!!
:)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
good luck balletgirl!

Marva
02-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Thought I'd update. I queried to Catherine Drayton (a new book) on 1/24. She requested a partial on 1/25, which I sent immediately. She responded with Thanks! on 1/28.

Now I wait. When I hear from her, I'll post again.

Erin
02-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Awesome, Balletgirl & Marva. Good luck!

I requeried Alexis last weekend. It looks like she might just be behind if she's now responding to Oct. queries.

Tuuli
04-04-2009, 12:30 AM
I queried Catherine on April 1st and received a request for a partial less than 24 hours later. Now I'm ready for a long wait. :)

Marva
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Followup: I asked Catherine for a status on 3/25. She asked me to resend the file. Methinks it was misplaced. I resent and she acknowledged receipt on 3/30.

Tuuli
04-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Followup: I asked Catherine for a status on 3/25. She asked me to resend the file. Methinks it was misplaced. I resent and she acknowledged receipt on 3/30.

Good thing you did a status check, Marva. What's your genre? Mine's a YA urban fantasy romance.

Marva
04-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Good thing you did a status check, Marva. What's your genre? Mine's a YA urban fantasy romance.
Upper MG fantasy. No sex. No swearing. :)

AngieStone
04-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi all...long time reader, first time poster :)

Anyone have any information about Elisa Weeks? She works at Inkwell Management and just requested a partial from me. I can't seem to find any info on her, although I'm really excited all the same!

para
04-08-2009, 01:42 AM
This inkwell Management? http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/
I don't see a Elisa Weeks on the staff list but there is an Elisa Petrini - perhaps she got married or divorced. http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/about_bios.php?id=31

ETA: There is already a thread perhaps on this agency perhaps there is some info on her there.
<snip>

Giant Baby
04-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Received request for the full off a partial from Catherine Drayton this morning. This evening she took that extra 4-5 seconds to confirm she'd received it.

It really doesn't bother me much that so few do this, but man do I appreciate it when they do!

Rebecca_Rogers
05-14-2009, 04:46 PM
GOOD LUCK Giant Baby! I just received a request for a partial today from Catherine. I just queried her a few days ago.

steampunk
06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Just adding my stats...I email queried Catherine on May 11th and she requested the first 50 pages on May 15th and I got the "no thank you not for us" ejection on May 31st. Pretty quick turn around (though it always feels longer when you are waiting doesn't it?)

AKB
06-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I sent an equery in Jan 2009 and got a request for 50 pages on 6/11/09. Catherine indicated my equery got lost in the slush pile; in the email trail there was a message from Charlie Olsen stating he "liked the voice on this one." Of course, my hopes shot right up....I just hope that doesn't make the fall hurt that much more.

Vermilion
06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Anyone dealt with Alexis Hurley recently?
I'm thinking of e-querying her but not sure if I should use her personal e-mail or just the general submissions email.

alias octavia
06-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I equeried Alexis 4/30 and got an R today from Jacqueline Kang. I used the submissions address.

loriwriter
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I queried Alexis on 6/15 and got a form rejection from Allison Zimmer (intern? assistant? she's not listed on their website) on 7/6.

AKB
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Okay. The fall hurt.

After sending an e-query to Catherine along with the first three chapters, I received a request for the MS' first fifty pages. I sent the partial and a few days ago received a rejection from Catherine saying "it isn't for me." Interestingly, in response to the request for a partial I only sent another 20 pages in addition to the first 30 I originally sent. Those last twenty must have really sucked.

Sadly, that same day I got an R from an agent who - based on my query and first three chapters - said the piece was "incredibly poignant...the MC's voice resonating with the reader immediately..." BUT she wasn't taking on any new clients due to the slowdown.

Ouch....

Well, nothing else to do but working on my current WIP.

Marva
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Going through again, I realize I didn't post my eject on the last partial. Oh, well. What's past is past.

HOWEVER, I equeried Catherine on yet another book. Apparently, she's not sick of hearing from me since she asked for a 50-page partial the same day. 8/5/09. Or is that next day in Australia?

Erin
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Awesome, Marva! Good luck. When you queried her did you use the general submissions email address or her "personal" Inkwell address?

Marva
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Awesome, Marva! Good luck. When you queried her did you use the general submissions email address or her "personal" Inkwell address?
Personal. I figured we had corresponded enough in regard to the previous subs that I could do so. I believe that first timers should go through the Inkwell submission guidelines, however.

Erin
08-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks, Marva! You're right...we must follow the rules! I just didn't have much luck (no response) using their generic submissions address once before.

Marva
08-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks, Marva! You're right...we must follow the rules! I just didn't have much luck (no response) using their generic submissions address once before.
The first query, I did use the generic, but put Attn: Ms. Drayton at the top, then personalized my first paragraph for her. I think if you name the agent at the top, it will get through to the one you want.

Erin
08-08-2009, 02:06 AM
The first query, I did use the generic, but put Attn: Ms. Drayton at the top, then personalized my first paragraph for her. I think if you name the agent at the top, it will get through to the one you want.

That's what I do. My first one was was addressed to another agent, though. I just sent new one to Catherine at the main email. Got my fingers crossed!

ETA: no problems on this query getting thru. I just got a partial request from her!

Juneluv12
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
That's what I do. My first one was was addressed to another agent, though. I just sent new one to Catherine at the main email. Got my fingers crossed!

ETA: no problems on this query getting thru. I just got a partial request from her!

Me too! Good luck, Erin.

I had also had trouble getting it to go through before. I requeried, and on the same day, I got the request.

Anyword on how long her wait time is for partials?

Erin
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Me too! Good luck, Erin.

I had also had trouble getting it to go through before. I requeried, and on the same day, I got the request.

Anyword on how long her wait time is for partials?

Good luck on your submission, too!

I have no idea on turnaround times for her. From reading this thread a while ago, I had in my mind that it was a month. I could be wrong, though.

SJWangsness
09-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Am I the only one who finds their website frustrating? Their bios don't really give any indication what their interests are and half of them aren't listed on Agent Query and/or QueryTracker and they just list the reather nebulous formulation "commercial fiction" which can mean just about anything. I know Michael Carlisle handles some suspense because he reps Robert Harris (and I only know that because of page 1 of this thread), but who else there in that stable is into mysteries/suspense/thrillers? I haven't a clue. And it's not clear if you're supposed to send your query to a particular agent or just throw it into the Inkwell Management hopper....

Phantom Writer
09-22-2009, 06:57 AM
fast fast fast turn around. queried Catherine 9/17 got rejection 9/18.

sveltskye
09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I was interested in Mairead Duffy's bio on their website because she minored in philosophy and my book has some philosophical themes, but now that I'm not sure she's an actual agent. Does anyone know?

AshElizabeth
09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Which agents represent YA? I was going to query Ms. Drayton, but she's moved to Australia.

Giant Baby
09-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Which agents represent YA? I was going to query Ms. Drayton, but she's moved to Australia.

Catherine Drayton still works with US authors (although, I suppose it's assumption that you're in the US?). She's made quite a few US sales since moving to Australia (PW), with a lot of YA in the mix.

She's also quite thoughtful and generous with her time and attention, in my experience. Go for it, AE.

AshElizabeth
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Catherine Drayton still works with US authors (although, I suppose it's assumption that you're in the US?). She's made quite a few US sales since moving to Australia (PW), with a lot of YA in the mix.

She's also quite thoughtful and generous with her time and attention, in my experience. Go for it, AE.

okayy. i'll go for it! I'm going to send it out later today!

codytull
10-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Can I ask how you know she moved back to Australia? She just emailed me yesterday (we've been going back and forth with my ms) and she hasn't mentioned anything. Although, I'm not exactly a client yet - so I guess it's information she doesn't technically have to give me!

Also, it doesn't say anything on the Inkwell website. I see it says it on her agentquery page, but I just thought that was old information since it doesn't list her recent sales either.

Thanks!

Giant Baby
10-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Can I ask how you know she moved back to Australia? She just emailed me yesterday (we've been going back and forth with my ms) and she hasn't mentioned anything. Although, I'm not exactly a client yet - so I guess it's information she doesn't technically have to give me!

Also, it doesn't say anything on the Inkwell website. I see it says it on her agentquery page, but I just thought that was old information since it doesn't list her recent sales either.

Thanks!

Hi Cody,

This is from the "About Us (http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/about.php)" page on the Inkwell website: "We also join forces with leading literary agencies in every foreign market and we have a full-time agent based in Australia." Her Agent Query page identifies her as that agent.

Three deals by Catherine were posted to PW in September--to Delacourt, Citidel, and Dial. Two were on behalf of Australian houses, and one (Nathan Bransford's book) not. So, she's doing okay from afar. :Thumbs:

-GB

Sarah Christine
10-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm a little baffled. I sent Catherine a query 9/20, and since everyone's reporting fast turn-around and I never rec'd a response, I queried again 10/19 with an attention to her name in the subject.

Maybe things have slowed down?

bclement412
11-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Sarah Christine: I've had a similar experience. I originally queried Ms. Drayton 9/14, and when there was no response, I requeried 10/20. I used the submissions email, but have others been using her personal email?

rtrgirl
11-11-2009, 05:32 AM
RE: Ms. Drayton

I equeried Catherine on September 17th to the submission email for Inkwell and put Attn: Catherine Drayton in the subject line after the normal subject stuff. I got a request from her the next day (that has since been rejected.) The staff at Inkwell had immediately forwarded the query to her.

Good luck getting through.

AuntB
11-19-2009, 04:15 AM
I queried Catherine though the general inkwell email on 10/24 with an attention to her name. I received a reply on 10/27 asking for a 30 page partial. I emailed it that day, and am now awaiting her reply.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

AuntB
11-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Catherine is going to be in Philadelphia this weekend.... where I live! I found out because Becca Fitzpatrick (author of Hush, Hush) is in town for a conference, and she said on her lj that she was excited to see her agent again.

Is it a bad idea to stalk them? akljdflakd!!!

egtalbot
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
It is a little frustrating not to be able to determine which agent wants what from their web site, but perhaps they figure that with a single query email, work will get funneled to the right person. I've gone to AQ, but even some of their records there are a bit sparse, and a number of them say not accepting queries, which is not indicated anywhere on the agency web site. I will most likely submit to Richard Pine based on his bio indicating he has repped thriller authors.

One other note - on the agreement on the submissions page that people mentioned. It occurs to me that it would be pretty easy to submit to the agency without ever having gone to their web site, given how many other places the information is located on the web. In which case the agreement probably couldn't apply. In any case, for the reasons stated by others on the thread, it does not seem like a problem.

AuntB
11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
RE: Ms. Drayton

I equeried Catherine on September 17th to the submission email for Inkwell and put Attn: Catherine Drayton in the subject line after the normal subject stuff. I got a request from her the next day (that has since been rejected.) The staff at Inkwell had immediately forwarded the query to her.

Good luck getting through.

How long did it take her to get back to you after the request, rtrgirl? I'm sitting at just a little over a month, trying not to get impatient.

litgirl
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Nov 21 query to Catherine Drayton
Nov 30 rejection

Alas.

rtrgirl
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
How long did it take her to get back to you after the request, rtrgirl? I'm sitting at just a little over a month, trying not to get impatient.

Hello - Exactly one month.

AuntB
12-02-2009, 03:35 AM
*Sigh*

She didn't specify how long it would take her to review the partial, so I guess I should wait until the standard 3 months. I just hate not knowing if it went astray in cyberland.

HMS
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Inkwell has had my full MS for over 2 months. I checked a month ago and was told it was going through "several reads." From the threads, they seem prompt about rejections, so let's take waiting as a good sign.

AuntB
12-05-2009, 06:49 AM
HMS,

What agent has your full?

AuntB
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!

rtrgirl
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!

OMG - Lucky you! That's awesome. Yay you!

AuntB
12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks rtrgirl!

I'm beyond excited! This is the first full I've had requested off of a partial rather than just a query. And Catherine's definitely at the top of my list!

akaSylvia
12-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Has anyone had any interactions with Nathaniel Jacks of InkWell Management? He appears to be interested in sci/fi and fantasy but I'm struggling to find out anything specific.

Suzan
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm interested in querying Mr. Pine at Inkwell. Anyone have any response times for this agent?

djaffe
02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
hey folks

I know Catherine Drayton has a reputation for being FAST but I think I've got you all beat. She replied with a request for 50 pages 1 minute after I sent my query. I thought it was an automated response and was stunned to see a human reply :)

Will let you know if I get the big "R" or a request for full.

Sage
02-01-2010, 06:27 AM
This speed everyone's reporting is making me afraid mine got lost. It hasn't been a horribly long time so I'm not too worried, just longer than it looks like she usually takes.

djaffe
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
hey Sage

Good luck! I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.

Sarah Christine
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Sage, I FINALLY got a rejection from my 10/19 resent query to Catherine on 1/20 by what must have been her assistant.

I guess she only replies right away when she's interested. But by the time I received the rejection, I was like, "..........Why bother?" I had already checked her name off and started querying an entirely different project.

ILove2Write
02-11-2010, 12:24 AM
To all of you who queried Catherine Drayton, did you email her through the general submissions from their website or her personal email listed on AgentQuery?

nash
02-11-2010, 01:09 AM
@ILove2Write: I e-queired on 1/26/10 and sent to submissions@inkwellmanagement.com. No reply yet.

AuntB
02-11-2010, 08:16 AM
I also queried at the general submissions email, though I put Attn: Catherine Drayton after my title in the subject line.

That was on 10/24
rec'd partial request on 10/27
full request on 12/08
emailed full on 12/09 and rec'd confirmation of receipt same day

Just over two months now... and I have no nails left to bite. :)

Sage
02-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.
I've gotten enough requests after a few months (one after a year) that I don't do this. The only time I do consider it (considering it now), is with the next project.

AuntB
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Got an email from Catherine today. My heart jumped into my throat thinking it was a reply to my full, when in reality... it was another email saying she liked my partial, and asking for the full(which she already had). I was so confused, and was stressing trying to figure out what to say in a reply, but luckily she emailed back shortly apologizing and saying it was a mistake. She then said she was about to start reading and wanted to make sure I hadn't accepted representation.

I have to say though... now, at least, I know the upgrade from partial to a full wasn't a fluke, because she's done it TWICE.

:)

Also, now I'm panicking everytime my phone vibrates with a new email. Urgh.

Roly
02-15-2010, 09:30 PM
lol how strange, AuntB, but congrats...again! ;)

Sarah Christine
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Just an update, I queried Catherine this time on 2/11, and received a remarkably speedy rejection the next day. Maybe they're a little disorganized?

mtrenteseau
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.

SJWangsness
03-02-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.

Let us know if you ever do figure out who's the "mystery agent" there.

sarahfru
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Does anyone have any experience dealing with Inkwell? After querying the agent, I got an email over 2 weeks ago from Ethan Bassoff asking for the first 100 pages of my novel. I haven't heard back. After a week, it felt promising. After 2 weeks, I think he passed on the novel without ever letting me know. Anyone else get this kind of brush-off?

amergina
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm sure a mod will be along to move this to here--> <snipped>

But in general (that is, in the industry), responses to partial submissions can take months to receive.

I'd wait before writing this one off. But keep querying in the meantime.

Momento Mori
03-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi, Sarah, and welcome to AW.

There's a thread on Inkwell Management here.

There's also a general index to pre-existing threads here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792) so you can see if an agency is being discussed.

It usually takes agents a while to give a response after they've asked for a partial so a fortnight is nothing. Personally, I'd give it a couple of months and then nudge to see if he's had a chance to read it.

MM

Sara Lou
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I queried Catherine on the 16th of March (submissions@inkwellmanagement.com) and have yet to receive a reply--I know it's still early. The posts are confusing and the agency seems a little inconsistent. I have no idea when I should expect a response.

Sage
04-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Huh, I still haven't heard after 2.5 months.

Roly
04-02-2010, 02:02 AM
I had to query Catherine twice. I queried her at the beginning of Feb and then again mid March. She got back to me within three days the second try.

Beckstah
04-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I queried Catherine last Friday and haven't heard anything yet... let me know if y'all hear from her so I know if I have to send again.

Sara Lou
04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I sent her a query almost a month ago and have heard nothing. I am wondering if she even got it. Should I resend?

TerryRodgers
04-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Requested full from partial request. Mailed on 3/10/2010. Agent I queried was David Forrer. Person who responded was Allie Greenwald.

Roly
04-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Anyone have recent dealings with Nathaniel Jacks?

a. climacus
04-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Or Ethan Bassoff?

shinta
04-10-2010, 01:09 AM
EB asked for my full, I e-mailed it as requested, and when he found out that I had another finished novel, he asked me to e-mail that one as well. I was most excited( he was the only one who asked to see both the books) and waited to hear back from him for nearly two months. I got a couple of offers in the meantime, and when I wrote to him asking for his feedback,he said he hadn't received either one of my novels (which may be the case, I just find it hard to believe especially since he had corresponded with me after he received my first full.)

Take home. If you send him a full, please verify that he has indeed received it.

SJWangsness
04-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Queried David Forrer in early February. Still no word. Putting him in the non-responder bin.

TerryRodgers
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
You've given up way too soon Traven. It took 3-1/2 months for someone to get back to me.

augusto
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I queried David Forrer 10-30-09, rejected 1-19-10.

SJWangsness
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
You've given up way too soon Traven. It took 3-1/2 months for someone to get back to me.

All right, maybe I'll take him out of the bin for awhile, however, it's been my experience that if you haven't heard within a couple of weeks, the answer's gonna be "no" whenever it finally dribbles in.

a. climacus
04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I think for the most part that two week window is true, but I've also gotten some full requests after a month so I don't think it's an absolute. Querytracker's data explorer offers a pretty good gauge of who slides in that 2 week window and who hovers outside.

Krista G.
06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Posted an interview with Ms. Drayton on my blog today:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2010/06/interview-with-agent-catherine-drayton.html

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from her, or anyone else at InkWell!

Beckstah
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Catherine Drayton has the unusual distinction of being the only agent to ever reject me twice on the same query. The first time she rejected me personally, and the second time a few weeks later must have been an assistant. I thought it was pretty funny, though.

Dorothy
06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Do you think four months is a long time to have a full? Charlie Olsen has had my full ms that long. I nudged him last month with no response. I know it can take six months sometimes ... maybe I should give it a couple more months?

TerryRodgers
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately yes it can take that long. Established agents spend maybe 5% of their time seeking new clients. The rest of their time is with their published authors. It's very frustrating, I know. Especially if you are waiting for feedback from each agent. That's why sometimes it takes years for that first novel to find an agent.

I have five fulls out right now and it's driving my bonkers. Mainly because I've spoken to two of the agents via phone and made some substantial edits. And I know through email that another of the agents has read my manuscript three times. Three times? I use to have hair.

Keep sending out queries and keep on writing.

Dorothy
06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks, Terry. I'll hang in there then. Good luck with those agents. Sounds promising!

Appalachian
06-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I queried him three months ago and he asked for a partial within a few days. I sent it but have not heard back from him since then. Am hoping he received it, but am afraid to be pushy. Just wondering what is the right amount of time to wait before sending the follow up... thoughts anybody?

Sushi
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I queried him on May. He replied within 24 hours requesting the first 100 pages of my manuscript. I sent it on May 24. I sent a query status on 7/12 but haven't heard anything.

For what it's worth, my first dealing with Nat was about two years ago when he read a short story I had published in Glimmer Train. I sent him the novel that I was shopping around at the time. Stylistically it was VERY different from the story, so I knew it probably wouldn't be a good fit but it was all I had to send him. He read the full manuscript pretty quickly--I'd have to go back to check but I think he read and responded within a month. He rejected it (it ended up getting published by a small press last year, so all's well that ends well). At the time (2007), I got the feeling that he was a newish agent looking to make his mark. He's clearly more established now.

<continues to wait>

AlishaS
07-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I e-queried Catherine Drayton a couple of days ago, got a request for a partial the next day, sent off partial, got a note saying she had received my work, and now the waiting begins. From what I read, she tends to vary with response times but in both e-mails I received from her, she was very polite, which I like a lot.

Kaitlin Bartlett
07-25-2010, 07:00 AM
I just sent in my query to Catherine. Fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone else querying agents from Inkwell! :)

AlishaS
07-26-2010, 06:57 AM
I am happy to say, that Catherine has requested a full off the partial I sent her July 20th. As it would seem I am experiencing some very quick turn around times and am thankful.
The real nail-biting begins :)

Kaitlin Bartlett
07-26-2010, 07:26 AM
I am happy to say, that Catherine has requested a full off the partial I sent her July 20th. As it would seem I am experiencing some very quick turn around times and am thankful.
Congratulations!!! My fingers are crossed for you! :)

Dorothy
07-26-2010, 09:57 AM

That's awesome! Congratulations! And good luck! :)

Dorothy
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
At five months and one week, I sent Charlie Olsen a status query on my full. He responded promptly, apologizing and saying that he's had the busiest year of his career. He said he'd get back to me next week with some feedback.

I guess you can add me to the list of nail-biters.

Wayne K
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Me too. I sent off requested proposal this morning.

Dorothy
07-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Me too. I sent off requested proposal this morning.

Good luck! :)

Sweet Tea
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Good luck to all the Inkwell hopefuls. I want to equery, just not sure who to direct it to...narrative non-fic

Sushi
07-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Sent a status query to Nat Jacks last night (he requested partial, which was sent 5/21). He replied this morning with the following:

"After reading, my initial reaction was that it's probably not right for me. But I'd like to get a second opinion. Will let you know."

<sigh>

Here's hoping whatever associate he shows it to LOVES the premise and the writing.

Dorothy
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Sent a status query to Nat Jacks last night (he requested partial, which was sent 5/21). He replied this morning with the following:

"After reading, my initial reaction was that it's probably not right for me. But I'd like to get a second opinion. Will let you know."

<sigh>

Here's hoping whatever associate he shows it to LOVES the premise and the writing.

Good luck!

lm728
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Sending a query to Catherine right now.

Dorothy
07-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Sending a query to Catherine right now.

Good luck, and come sit next to the rest of us nail-biters. ;)

John Dillon
08-05-2010, 02:39 AM
I got this polite rejection today after a request for the full manuscript on 7/10. I suppose it's a form rejection. Regardless, I appreciate the kind sentiments and responsiveness of Kim and her co-agents.

"Thank you for sending me [Title]. You are clearly a talented and imaginative writer – there is much to be admired in this book. Your writing is bold and idiomatic and, in the best sense, youthful. It was a pleasure to live in [Place] with your characters.
That said, in today’s crowded marketplace, I just don’t feel confident that I would be able to place this with a major trade publisher. Given these reservations, I am going to pass on these so you can go ahead and find a representative who will give your work the full enthusiasm it so richly deserves.
I am sorry to disappoint you, and to pass on such original works. Others will surely feel differently and I certainly wish you the best of luck in finding the right agent and publisher."

AlishaS
08-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Wow that is a very nice rejection. I must say, with all the praise that was said, it really does kind of suck that they turned down your novel. It must have been a great read nonetheless.

Remember, it only takes one agent to fall in love with your book, best of luck as your search for representation continues.

John Dillon
08-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Alisha,

You're too kind. I suspect Kim's message was a form rejection. Indeed, I posted it here because I'm curious if anyone else has received a substantially similar rejection from Kim Witherspoon. I would have appreciated some constructive criticism, but I recognize that agents have only so much time, especially to spend on rejections. This whole process is so exciting, frustrating, depressing, etc. Sigh.

/s

living to query another day

honeysock
08-05-2010, 07:58 AM
John Dillon, I like thee.

I suspect an agent will too, very soon. : )

rifferaff
08-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Catherine Drayton read my partial pages and wants a full! I'm so excited. I've had other full requests, but they came straight from the query. This is the first time an agent has requested a partial then asked to see more. It's a great feeling. Here's the timeline so far:
Query - Jul 29
Partial Request - Aug 5
Full Request - Aug 8

Mr. Anonymous
08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
John, that is not a form rejection.

Form rejections are much more general.

Dorothy
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Catherine Drayton read my partial pages and wants a full! I'm so excited. I've had other full requests, but they came straight from the query. This is the first time an agent has requested a partial then asked to see more. It's a great feeling. Here's the timeline so far:
Query - Jul 29
Partial Request - Aug 5
Full Request - Aug 8

Sounds great! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I'm still waiting for Charlie to get back to me about my full. I'm running out of nails to bite, lol.

rebelcheese
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Question: as the "submissions" email is generic (all of the agents read from the same email), who should I address it to, a specific agent anyway, or a plain "Inkwell Management"?

augusto
08-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Always a specific agent.

AlishaS
08-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Each Agent usually has a set genre they like to stick with. Some are adult, some prefer young adult... check out their website and read the agent bios. Always a specific agent.

Good luck on the Full rifferaff, I'm still patiently waiting to hear back on my full that Catherine has.

rebelcheese
08-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Thank you both. Almost blew it there. I'm having trouble figuring out the agents' likes and dislikes though from their tiny profiles. Probably will query Catherine too though because she does make her preferences known.

Should I attach a sample chapter to my query? Again, it's difficult to tell whether it's a good idea or not.

rifferaff
08-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Rebelcheese, if you don't already know about QueryTracker and Agent Query, these are great sources of info. Looking up Ms. Drayton on Agent Query, it says under her submission guidelines that she wants to see only the query, so that's what you should send.

Don't rely only on the agent's profiles on their website, do some Googling and find interviews with them all across the web. In this way, you can find more specific likes and dislikes.

AlishaS and Dorothy thanks and good luck to you too!

Sushi
08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Sent a status query to Nat Jacks last night (he requested partial, which was sent 5/21). He replied this morning (7/29) with the following:

End of this story: Received a polite rejection email from Nat Jacks on 8/6:
"Your premise is original, entertaining and inspiring. You've constructed a
genuinely heroic protagonist; I was rooting for her more and more with each
sentence. But despite the positives, I could not connect enough with the story to
justify taking on the book."

Back to the query slough...

rebelcheese
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Rebelcheese, if you don't already know about QueryTracker and Agent Query, these are great sources of info. Looking up Ms. Drayton on Agent Query, it says under her submission guidelines that she wants to see only the query, so that's what you should send.

Don't rely only on the agent's profiles on their website, do some Googling and find interviews with them all across the web. In this way, you can find more specific likes and dislikes.

Thank you. I need to read up on Agent Query more often when checking agents. I rely too much on their profiles and P&E.

I did query Catherine Drayton. Must cross fingers and hope she's interested, or finds someone in Inkwell who is . . .

mairi
08-27-2010, 11:13 AM
e-queried Ms. Drayton 8/23 for YA Horror / Romance but haven't heard back yet. Wonder if she's still on vacation or something? She's usually lightning fast with queries, isn't she?

rifferaff
08-27-2010, 05:08 PM
she's fast, but it took me 6 or 7 days to get a response (which was a request) earlier this month.

Empress Awesome
08-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about Charlie Olsen, Kristan Palmer, Julie Schilder, Lauren Smythe, or Jenny Witherell? None of their interests are posted on the site. Do you guys know if any of them are interested in YA fantasy?

mairi
08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
she's fast, but it took me 6 or 7 days to get a response (which was a request) earlier this month.

thanks for sharing, rifferaff.

AlishaS
08-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Well Catherine's had my full for over a month, her response time previously has all be super fast. Now I'm worried... I hope she is one of those agents who sends out rejections when she has a full that she doesn't like.
Fingers crossed still for me.

rifferaff
09-17-2010, 04:12 AM
I'm still awaiting a response on my full from Catherine Drayton that I sent in early August. But I just checked PM and see she's been involved in five deals (!!) over the past week. So she's been busy!

SeymourPats
09-18-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm a contracts lawyer and I would be very, very VERY worried about this clause.

First off, the provisions are VERY broad, and much more broad than anything else I've seen. This goes way beyond the standard "some of our clients might have come up with something similiar" clause. They basically say that they can take anything that isn't "legally protected.

Second, they use defined terms like "legally protected" without ever explaining what that is. By "legally protected" do they mean "copyright" or do they mean "protected under the law (and under which law)?

Third, copyright suits are incredibly difficult to win. Plots and themes aren't owned by anyone (for example, no one can copyright the theme of a love triangle). To win a copyright suit, someone basically needs to take your whole story.

rifferaff
10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
finally heard back from catherine drayton on my YA urban fantasy - rejection. here's the timeline of events:

equery - 7/29/10
partial request - 8/5/10
full request - 8/8/10
full rejection - 10/8/10

Ruth2
10-08-2010, 05:02 PM
finally heard back from catherine drayton on my YA urban fantasy - rejection. here's the timeline of events:

equery - 7/29/10
partial request - 8/5/10
full request - 8/8/10
full rejection - 10/8/10

:Hug2: Keep going! You'll find the right agent!

Datahog
11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, no one with any bites/news on Inkwell since August?

Well my coauthor and I got a full request on a thriller from Kim Witherspoon a couple weeks ago, and we've tentatively got a phone meeting Friday with her. (We have an offer on the table from another agency and she knows that and had liked our opening chapters and wants to keep reading.) Fingers crossed!

midazolam
11-03-2010, 03:32 AM
I have a full out with Catherine Drayton. First she requested the partial, then the full about 10 days later - I sent it earlier this week. I'll post with any updates!

H_SCAR
11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow, no one with any bites/news on Inkwell since August?

Well my coauthor and I got a full request on a thriller from Kim Witherspoon a couple weeks ago, and we've tentatively got a phone meeting Friday with her. (We have an offer on the table from another agency and she knows that and had liked our opening chapters and wants to keep reading.) Fingers crossed!

I sent out to Inkwell in June and signed w/ them in August. They were slow to initially respond (2 months) then fast to read and make an offer once I emailed I had other interest elsewhere. Don't know what difference it would make to others querying InkWell, but I write voice-driven literary fiction.

Dr. Johnson
11-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I sent out to Inkwell in June and signed w/ them in August. They were slow to initially respond (2 months) then fast to read and make an offer once I emailed I had other interest elsewhere. Don't know what difference it would make to others querying InkWell, but I write voice-driven literary fiction.

Hi H Scar,

I'm querying on a voice-driven literary historical. I've looked at the Inkwell bios. and I can't tell who would be best to query. Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Doc

H_SCAR
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey Doc,

I'd read the bios, send it along to who you think it'll match, and say something like, "if you feel this project might be a better fit for another agent at InkWell, then I'd certainly be grateful if you would pass it along."

I sent mine to a specific agent, but it went into the general inquiry pool and a reader (not an agent) snagged it from there and then sent it to an agent.

Hi H Scar,

I'm querying on a voice-driven literary historical. I've looked at the Inkwell bios. and I can't tell who would be best to query. Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Doc

Krista G.
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Queried Ms. Drayton 11/4
Rejection received 11/15

YA science fiction

Dr. Johnson
11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey Doc,

I'd read the bios, send it along to who you think it'll match, and say something like, "if you feel this project might be a better fit for another agent at InkWell, then I'd certainly be grateful if you would pass it along."

I sent mine to a specific agent, but it went into the general inquiry pool and a reader (not an agent) snagged it from there and then sent it to an agent.

Thanks for the tip, H Scar. I'll give it a try. And best of success with your book!

Doc

H_SCAR
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, H Scar. I'll give it a try. And best of success with your book!

Doc

No worries and best of luck to you, too.

Empress Awesome
11-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Just queried Charlie Olsen. Yay! I'm wondering what his response time is like...

moorockmomma
11-22-2010, 07:37 AM
I wanted to share my experience with Catherine Drayton:

EQ: 11/13
Partial request (30 pages): 11/18
Pass: 11/21

"Thanks for sending me a sample of your work. Unfortunately it isn’t for me.
good luck,
Catherine"

Thirty pages. Three days. Quick and easy. She sent the partial request at 11pm at night and when I replied with the submission, she even took the time to reply back a few minutes later to let me know that she got it. It was after 12 a.m. I couldn't ask for anything more. All I kept thinking was: wow, this is how she treats people who query? Instant replies? Her clients are so lucky.

I know it may not seem like a big deal, but little things like that really help this process feel like a well-oiled machine. Ms. Drayton is a class act. Not to mention, she has some really awesome books that she's recently sold. I feel so great right now and I'm not really sure why. lol.

Onward and upward! And good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back from any of the agents at Inkwell. You can do eeeeeeit!!!

angelfrancis
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I saw that Jacqueline Murphy is with them, but haven't seen anything on what she is looking for. Has anyone?

happywritermom
12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Catherine Drayton represents a good friend of mine, a debut author whose first novel has hit the NY Times Best Seller list a couple of times. She got her a large advance and two amazing book tours --one for hard cover and one for paperback. She's definitely worth waiting for. Even if you even got a full request from her and she rejected it, I would count that as a success. If she was interested enough to make the request, you'll likely find a good agent for your work eventually. Just keep trying.

C.H. Valentino
12-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Anyone had any dealings with Julie Schilder at this agency? She requested a full June 30th 2010 with a note saying she'd share it with David Forrer (who I originally queried) and now, her name is no long listed on their site and her profile with them is gone.

Does any one know if she went somewhere else, or have any dealings with her? I can't turn up any info on her.

CHV

C.H. Valentino
12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Nevermind ya'll : Sent her a nudge and here's the auto-response via email:

"As of November 19th, I will no longer be at InkWell Management.If you need assistance at InkWell, please contact William Callahan at william@inkwellmanagement.com, ext 212. "

Nice.

JulietG
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Perhaps since she was going to share your full with David Forrer, you can email David and/or William to ask about your manuscript? Chances are that it might be with someone else, and if not--and they know a full was requested--they'll probably ask you to resend. Good luck!

Dorothy
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Just queried Charlie Olsen. Yay! I'm wondering what his response time is like...

His response time is really slow. He's had my full since February, if that gives you a clue.

Empress Awesome
12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, crap... won't bother holding my breath then. On to other agents :)

augusto
01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
AQ page says: "Please note: despite what is stated on InkWell's website guidelines, Ms. Drayton manages her own submission emails and prefers to receive emails directly to her individual email address [catherine@]." There's also a Sept '10 deal listed, so it seems current. QT and the website list a 'submissions' address. Where have you folks been sending your queries?

Krista G.
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
AQ page says: "Please note: despite what is stated on InkWell's website guidelines, Ms. Drayton manages her own submission emails and prefers to receive emails directly to her individual email address [catherine@]." There's also a Sept '10 deal listed, so it seems current. QT and the website list a 'submissions' address. Where have you folks been sending your queries?

August, I sent mine to the personal e-mail you mentioned and received a rejection in 11 days back in November. However, other people over at QT said they sent to the general submissions address and also received a reply, so she probably looks at both.

richcapo
01-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Hello, board:

Just wondering, if you had to choose between Wylie and Inkwell to represent a work of unusual literary fiction, which agency would you go with? Both are reading my full and have been extraordinarily pleasant to deal with. Wylie represents several authors whose work is similar to mine, but Inkwell was really just so warm and enthusiastic about accepting my full that I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

Thanks, guys,

Richard

pollymilton
02-08-2011, 02:39 AM
equeried Catherine Drayton today and got a partial request 20 minutes later. Women's fiction - bookclubs/upmarket, blerg....

ILove2Write
02-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Congrats pollymilton! That's such an awesome feeling when someone wants to read your work. And she's such a big agent.

Chumplet
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
equeried Catherine Drayton today and got a partial request 20 minutes later. Women's fiction - bookclubs/upmarket, blerg....

Nice! I can't believe I hadn't queried them yet, so I threw my hat into the ring. Good luck to all of us!

bunderful
02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Me too! Thanks for the tip on her personal e-mail - I had only queried the general one at Inkwell...

pollymilton
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I've gotten two partial requests in the last 2 weeks but just can't help giggling to think of these nice women opening the actual document and screaming "my eyes! my eyes! why!"

But good luck to all of us, indeed.

angelfrancis
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I queried Catherine 1/20 and got an email this morning saying that it wasn't for her but she was going to pass it along to Charlie Olsen. Anyone have experience with him?

Kmarshall
02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I was going to query them, but it doesn't look like they take fantasy.

Doobie Cantrip
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I sent an e-query to Catherine Drayton about 2 weeks ago and got a one line rejection this morning, no comment about passing it on to anbody else, then i just recieved another rejection from Charlie Olsen??? I know I didnt query him, does this mean that she passed it on to him for a look?

angelfrancis
02-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I sent an e-query to Catherine Drayton about 2 weeks ago and got a one line rejection this morning, no comment about passing it on to anbody else, then i just recieved another rejection from Charlie Olsen??? I know I didnt query him, does this mean that she passed it on to him for a look?

That's quite possible

Miss_Marcelle
02-20-2011, 07:34 AM
I queried Catherine 1/20 and got an email this morning saying that it wasn't for her but she was going to pass it along to Charlie Olsen. Anyone have experience with him?

Same here. I queried Catherine 1/24 and got the same email on 2/12 that she would pass it along to Charlie Olsen. I'm wondering how Charlie Olsen is too? By the way, this is my first post! Hi everyone!

bunderful
02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Queried Feb 2, rejected Feb 10 - but I had originally queried at the main address and it did get forwarded to her because she responded to the forwarded query...FYI

Rowan
02-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Same here. I queried Catherine 1/24 and got the same email on 2/12 that she would pass it along to Charlie Olsen. I'm wondering how Charlie Olsen is too? By the way, this is my first post! Hi everyone!

His bio is here, from the agency website:
http://www.inkwellmanagement.com/about_bios.php?id=37

Charlie Olsen attended Rider University, where he earned a B.A. in Print Journalism. Prior to joining Inkwell, he covered a beat at a newswire in the District of Columbia and wrote for two newspapers in New Jersey.

angelfrancis
02-22-2011, 10:57 PM
By the way, this is my first post! Hi everyone!

Welcome!!!

LadyLex
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Welcome Miss_Marcelle! I am new here also!

LMILLER111
02-23-2011, 12:23 AM
From query to rejection in less than 4 days. Speed counts for something I suppose. :( ....... how do I make a face that cries?

pollymilton
02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
No no, there's no crying in baseball! No shame in getting rejected. This is an adventure.

Miss_Marcelle
02-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you Rowan! And thanks for making me feel very welcome angelfrancis and LadyLex! And don't cry. I'm sure there is an agent out there who will love your work. Just keep trying! Rejections are a part of the journey.

Balthane
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Some stats for this one for Catherine Drayton.

Query sent 2/14
Partial request 2/17
Rejection with a note that she'll pass it to Charlie Olsen 2/27

DocsLadie
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Hello! I am new here but not to Catherine Drayton, and thought you might like to hear about my own experience with her, which began when Inkwell was still the Arthur Pine Agency. I was, at the time, partway though a huge historical fiction and was referred to the agency by one of their bestselling authors. With a copy of the letter of recommendation (the only way to approach the agency, at the time), I wrote a query about my project and received a very nice letter back from Catherine, inviting me to send a sample of my writing. I sent the eight-page Prologue to my book, then waited – things were slower in the world of snail mail and paper submissions.

On a visit to New York awhile later (she was still living there then), I called to see if she had received my sample, and was told she had it but hadn’t had time to read but would do so immediately. “Call me back in thirty minutes,” was her suggestion – so I sat in my hotel, watching the clock. The good news thirty minutes later was, “You’re a really good writer. Can you come by to meet me?” So off I went to the Fifth Avenue offices of Arthur Pine and met the very lovely Catherine Drayton. She asked me to send her a longer sample – say one-hundred pages, and asked me not to show it to anyone else for a month. I could have flown home without a plane! A real New York agent liked my writing, and for a month after sending the requested hundred pages, I could pretend I was a real author! But sadly, my one month of bliss ended one day after she received my sample, when she called asking for the rest of the book – which wasn’t yet in a presentable form. So I went quickly back to work to finish what was to be Part One of a very, very long novel, and sent that 450 pages along. Back came her answer, “It’s great!” with a request for me to send eleven copies of the manuscript for presentation to the top eleven publishers in New York. Wow!

Well, sort of wow. As the story was overly long and I only had Part One of four parts finished, Catherine had suggested publishing it as a series instead of one book – but none of the editors who read it wanted to tackle it as the proposed three or four books. So heeding my agent’s very good advice (“slash and burn!”), I went back to the keyboard and finished the whole saga, then cut it down to one novel of a more reasonable size. It’s taken years – long enough for the Arthur Pine Agency to become Inkwell Management and for my favorite agent to move to Australia. Would she even remember me if I sent her an email with the happy news that our ill-fated book was finally done?

On February 8th of this year I sent an equery to Inkwell’s main address, and received a very nice reply from Catherine the next day: “Victoria! How nice to hear from you!” She asked me to send the final manuscript along, which I did on February 18th, and now I join the rest of you in waiting to hear what she thinks about my work. Just because she loved it once doesn’t mean she will love it now – or that the publishers will be any more willing to take on a still very large book. Submitting, like writing, never gets easier! Best wishes to all of us!

setchmo
03-15-2011, 07:43 PM

I queried Catherine on 2/9 and got the same email. Have not heard anything from Charlie yet. Going to mark as no reply.

ronempress
03-16-2011, 01:24 AM
From one Victoria to another, Docs, I'm surprised they didn't want your historical saga as it was! It sounds like it was well-written (thus far) and they always say they want sequels! Sigh.

Well, good luck. You have made it obvious you're willing to work, so I can't imagine you'll have to wait much longer.

And on a completely separate note, Rowan, your Arabian is drop-dead GORGEOUS!! That's the sort of horse I used to dream of riding everyday. LOL

Gravity
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Rejection today on my SF novel; six week turnaround from query to R; not bad, time-wise.

shari
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I queried Catherine at the Catherine@ address 2/21/11 and haven't heard anything. People here seem to be getting faster response times. Should I resend?

augusto
03-27-2011, 03:25 AM
I queried to Catherine@ on March 7, rejected (passing along to Nathaniel Jacks) on March 13.

Carrie-Anne
04-01-2011, 06:49 AM
I sent a query and synopsis to them at the beginning of March, addressed to Kim Witherspoon, since I noticed that she was the agent for Julie Orringer, whose debut novel was well over 100,000 words and that told me that she was open to longer than average books. I got a reply from another agent in less than 24 hours saying he'd love to see the manuscript. Unfortunately, a few weeks later I got a rejection saying they found the story itself very interesting, and they admired my inspiration for it, but they weren't emotionally moved by the characters and so couldn't take it on. I wish they'd told me exactly why they hadn't felt moved, in case that's something I need to work on, but I thought it was nicer than a form rejection.

DocsLadie
04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Sent Catherine my manuscript February 18th, received a quick "Thanks!" the next day...and still waiting to hear more. It is a very long manuscript (450,000 words), so I figure she'll need at least two months to get through it, with the rest of her busy schedule. Noticed she just had a major signing last week. Go Catherine!

TerryRodgers
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
450k? Wow. Even at 300 words per page that's 1,500 pages? She agreed to see the whole thing even though you indicated the size in a query? You can make 4 books out of that. Two months may be on the low side. Good luck.

kaitie
04-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Sent Catherine my manuscript February 18th, received a quick "Thanks!" the next day...and still waiting to hear more. It is a very long manuscript (450,000 words), so I figure she'll need at least two months to get through it, with the rest of her busy schedule. Noticed she just had a major signing last week. Go Catherine!

Did you include the word count in your query?

In any case, some people take a long time to get to fulls, even if they're shorter. I generally wouldn't consider nudging until after 3 months had passed unless I was told specifically that they would be back in less.

DocsLadie
04-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Actually, it's 1118 pages space-and-a-half. Huge! Read my post above for the previous submission on this story. I probably won't nudge her at all, knowing that she knows me and my work and will definitely give the work the attention it needs. She's awesome and I am willing to wait for her. Thanks!

DocsLadie
04-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Update: Two months April 18th and still waiting. No news is good news, I'm told...

DocsLadie
05-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Three months on Wednesday, and still no news -- until a very nice, very brief email in the middle of the night last night (Australia is 14 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time): "I'm afraid that I haven't started yet. Too many manuscripts, too little time!" Then some legal advice on sending it to "readers" via Kindle, and signed "Warm regards." All in all, a very nice update -- though of course, I'd rather she'd have read it already and found me five or six competing publishing offers! Though long as it is, I'll be happy with one brave editor at one forward-thinking publisher who knows that in an eBook world, length matters little, and that Gone With the Wind and Lonesome Dove were both epic and huge bestsellers in print. So I will remain patient and wait on Catherine, the best agent in the business, who happily still has "warm regards" for me! Another update at Month Four or (hopefully!) sooner! But for now, back to Stede Bonnet, the erstwhile owner of a Barbados sugar plantation with a love of sailing in his heart!

AntheaL
05-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Queried Catherine Drayton 5/8, form R 5/11. At least it was quick!

DocsLadie
05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Another nice note today (5/30), apologizing for taking so long, and freeing me to query other agents if I am tired of waiting. And still "warm regards." I'll wait!

Grover
07-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Last summer, I received a request for my full manuscript from Ethan Bassoff along with a favor. He mentioned that he'd be travelling, but that he'd printed the manuscript and put it in his bag to read and asked for an exclusive so that he would have sufficient time. A year has now gone by with no word. I followed-up after the one-month exclusive period, but didn't receive a response. All follow-up emails have gone unanswered.

ScribeLady
07-31-2011, 05:12 AM
Elisa Petrini is no longer at Inkwell; appears to have left a month or so ago. Does anyone know if she's with another agency?

Scribelady

JoyMC
08-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Any quick responses from Catherine Drayton lately? I e-queried on 7/18 and am still waiting. Not long for most agents, I know, but she's reputed to be so fast!

Barber
08-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Any quick responses from Catherine Drayton lately?

Yes. I e-queried July 28 and was e-jected Aug 2.

JoyMC
08-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Yes. I e-queried July 28 and was e-jected Aug 2.

hmmm ... thanks. wonder if i didn't go through? or if no news is good news ...

bershka
09-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know if Richard Pine is accepting submissions or not?

On all the pages I have searched online so far, it says that he does not accept unsolicited queries.

Cheers!

JoyMC
09-10-2011, 03:09 AM
i don't know, but since Inkwell is bumped up, any other responses from Catherine Drayton lately? i queried her in mid-July and got no response. requeried in mid-August (thinking it hadn't gone through, since others had queried and gotten responses after me and she's reputed to be sooo fast) and still no response. has she turned non-responder? or does her email hate my email?

JoyMC
09-25-2011, 07:22 PM
i finally heard from Catherine Drayton - equeried 7/18, rejected 9/25.

Kitty27
09-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I queried Catherine Drayton on 9-19 and received a request for a partial on 9-20.

Wish me luck!

MysteryScribe
09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I queried Catherine Drayton on 9-19 and received a request for a partial on 9-20.

Wish me luck!

Yay! Good Luck :)

ScribeLady
09-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have any experience with David Hale Smith -- his response times, etc? I believe he's relatively new at Inkwell; had his own agency before that.

Scribelady

sanssouci
09-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Wish me luck!

Damn. You have great stats, Kitty!

Kitty27
09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Damn. You have great stats, Kitty!

Thank you! I sweated blood and cried a river for that query letter of the damned. Hopefully,I am getting close to the next step aka a request for a full.

happywritermom
09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
About 6 weeks for a response from David Hale Smith, but worth the wait. He did not offer representation for this novel, but is willing to take a look at revisions of another when I done. My interactions with him this time and when I first queried him on another project two years ago have been nothing but positive. Inkwell is fortunate to have him on board.

ScribeLady
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
After 3+ months, I received a personalized rejection from David Hale Smith's assistant.

Scribelady

bershka
11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you! I sweated blood and cried a river for that query letter of the damned. Hopefully,I am getting close to the next step aka a request for a full.

Out of curiosity, have you received a request for a full from Catherine Drayton?

pavtbr
11-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

pavtbr
11-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

Received a polite and complimentary rejection today. I was quite pleased with it in a strange kind of way...