PDA

View Full Version : Military deployment into a city

kelzey2
05-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone

I'm writing an urban fiction story where I need the army to become involved in fighting a faction of supernaturals that have started attacking the capital city. I'm would like it to be at least semi-realistic so I have a few questions for those who can help.

Who makes the decision to send the army in? Is there one person who would make the final call or is it a joint decision between multiple people?

What would warrant deploying an army into a populated city?

What actions would they take to stop a group that was just out to wreak as much havoc as possible?

Sorry for the lack of details, but I'm planning to adjust them based on how I decide the military intervention will go, so any rough generalisations will be appreciated.

Thanks

benbenberi
05-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I think before the experts weigh in they're likely to need more information, such as --

What's the setting like? - contemporary? future? historical?

What's the political/military context? Whose army is it? Who's in charge? Do they care about public opinion, legal justifications/formalities, etc?

What's the nature of the military intervention you're contemplating? What kind of forces are available to you? What's the tactical situation?

badwolf.usmc
05-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Like benbenberi said, we need much more info. Look at the wiki page for the 2nd battle of Fallujah, that was one of the last major city battles the US has fought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Fallujah

King Neptune
05-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Or you could model it on the riots in St. Petersburg in 1917 that ended with the Bolsheviks taking over. Will the Cossacks fire?

Helix
05-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone

I'm writing an urban fiction story where I need the army to become involved in fighting a faction of supernaturals that have started attacking the capital city. I'm would like it to be at least semi-realistic so I have a few questions for those who can help.

Who makes the decision to send the army in? Is there one person who would make the final call or is it a joint decision between multiple people?

What would warrant deploying an army into a populated city?

What actions would they take to stop a group that was just out to wreak as much havoc as possible?

Sorry for the lack of details, but I'm planning to adjust them based on how I decide the military intervention will go, so any rough generalisations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Where is this set?

kelzey2
05-31-2015, 05:27 AM
I think before the experts weigh in they're likely to need more information, such as --

What's the setting like? - contemporary? future? historical?

It's a large, fictional city, in modern times. The army barracks are just outside the city, so its their own city that they're being deployed into. I would like it to be semi-realistic, so the relationship between the army and the government would be the same as in the UK. As for the government structure, I'm not sure, but simplicity's sake, let's assume it's like the UK.

What's the political/military context? Whose army is it? Who's in charge? Do they care about public opinion, legal justifications/formalities, etc?

The government/army does care about legalities, and about the opinion of the non-supernatural public. In the past, there has been no threat of an attack from the supernatural population, but the government and the non-supernatural public are very fearful of the supernatural population, and are very strict on them and very controlling - supernaturals must register their abilities with the government, they're not allowed to use their powers in public, they are punished very harshly for crimes they commit, even if the crime didn't involve them using their supernatural abilities. Overall, the supernaturals comply to the governments rules, and there is an organisation for supernatural rights that is trying to get equality for the supernaturals.

The group of supernaturals that launches the attacks against the city appear very suddenly; there's no warning, threats, or anything that indicated it was going to happen, and nothing like that has happened before. I feel like the government would go for the shoot first, ask questions later approach, whilst still operating within the law.

What's the nature of the military intervention you're contemplating? What kind of forces are available to you? What's the tactical situation?

I would like the military to be spread throughout the city, trying to stop the supernaturals involved, which, in their mind, is every supernatural. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by the kind of forces and the tactical situation. It's a large army, and they have some knowledge as to how to stop and capture supernaturals. The supernatural population is around a quarter of the entire population, but its only a small faction that is behind the attacks, however they have managed to access some very strong magic, so the limited knowledge the army has on defending against supernaturals isn't very useful.

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks

waylander
05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
If it is similar to the UK then central government makes the decision, technically the Home Secretary after consulting the Chief Constable of the Police Authority

Helix
05-31-2015, 01:04 PM
"Jenkins! Chap with the wings there. Five rounds rapid."