Introducing my hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelaalize

Registered
Reaction score
For homework, my editor asked me to tell her the name of a book where the hero was introduce late in the book. I know I have read at least two, but I can't recall them at the moment. Can anyone help me out? My book is Women's fiction, not strictly romance. Thanks

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moving to Roundtable

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas (contemporary romance, but reads a bit like women's fiction to me)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How late in the book? I've read several thousand novels, and I can't remember a case where the actual protagonist was introduced very late in the book. There have to be a few, but, again, how late?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
An editor assigning homework that doesn't entail fixing the things they've pointed out in your manuscript? They do this? Is this an editor in a publishing house, or one you've hired?

What does your editor mean by "late in the book?" As in, past the first chapter? More than 10-15% in, or more than halfway through?

And what do they mean by "hero"? As in the plot-driving protagonist, or as in someone who emerges as a major driver of the plot later on in the story, or do they mean as the male love interest for a female protagonist, or do they mean someone who saves the day for the main characters?

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I would think, if this is homework, your editor wants you to consider books you have read. You can't learn a thing from repeating suggestions made by strangers on the internet, but you can learn from thinking critically about books you've read.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are we talking about "hero" as in main protagonist, or "hero" as in love interest?

Because the main protagonists in Outlander and Jane Eyre appear on the first page; hard not to, when they're the first-person narrators. The love interests appear somewhat later.

Status
Not open for further replies.