PDA

View Full Version : Introducing my hero

Lelaalize
05-30-2015, 11:59 AM
For homework, my editor asked me to tell her the name of a book where the hero was introduce late in the book. I know I have read at least two, but I can't recall them at the moment. Can anyone help me out? My book is Women's fiction, not strictly romance. Thanks

regdog
05-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Moving to Roundtable

LJD
05-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas (contemporary romance, but reads a bit like women's fiction to me)

Jamesaritchie
05-30-2015, 11:17 PM
How late in the book? I've read several thousand novels, and I can't remember a case where the actual protagonist was introduced very late in the book. There have to be a few, but, again, how late?

Roxxsmom
05-31-2015, 12:38 AM
An editor assigning homework that doesn't entail fixing the things they've pointed out in your manuscript? They do this? Is this an editor in a publishing house, or one you've hired?

What does your editor mean by "late in the book?" As in, past the first chapter? More than 10-15% in, or more than halfway through?

And what do they mean by "hero"? As in the plot-driving protagonist, or as in someone who emerges as a major driver of the plot later on in the story, or do they mean as the male love interest for a female protagonist, or do they mean someone who saves the day for the main characters?

jjdebenedictis
05-31-2015, 01:11 AM
I would think, if this is homework, your editor wants you to consider books you have read. You can't learn a thing from repeating suggestions made by strangers on the internet, but you can learn from thinking critically about books you've read.

Katharine Tree
06-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

autumnleaf
06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Are we talking about "hero" as in main protagonist, or "hero" as in love interest?

Because the main protagonists in Outlander and Jane Eyre appear on the first page; hard not to, when they're the first-person narrators. The love interests appear somewhat later.