Former US Speaker Dennis Hastert indicted

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
SO, if you make an agreement to pay someone to keep quiet on something, and you pay them the money "in good faith", if they then fail to keep quiet, can you sue to get your money back?

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
5 questions from the Hastert indictment

I haven't yet read the indictment, but from media coverage, those were my questions.
That link doesn't work for me.

Those aren't really facts, just unconfirmed claims. Though I have to say, it's pretty much what I expected. Didn't know if A would be a male or a female, though.

Regardless, blackmail is still blackmail. It's illegal and a confessed blackmailer shouldn't get a pass here, imo.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
SO, if you make an agreement to pay someone to keep quiet on something, and you pay them the money "in good faith", if they then fail to keep quiet, can you sue to get your money back?

- - - Updated - - -

You can say that again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bufkus

Registered
Reaction score
Blackmailing isn't illegal, don't know why you're so insistent on that person being charged with a crime.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Blackmailing isn't illegal, don't know why you're so insistent on that person being charged with a crime.

Um, yes it is.

Blackmail is the crime of threatening to reveal embarrassing, disgraceful or damaging information about a person to the public, family, spouse or associates unless money is paid to purchase silence. It is a form of extortion. Because the information is usually substantially true, it is not revealing the information that is criminal, but demanding money to withhold it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to get good links on Hastert right now with page after page on Google swamped with his current woes, but these little nuggets are fairly indisputable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Hastert

As speaker, Hastert shepherded the
USA Patriot Act in October 2001 to passage in the House on a 357-66 vote.[SUP][32][/SUP] In a 2011 interview, Hastert claimed credit for its passage over the misgivings of many members.[SUP][32][/SUP]Fourteen years later, federal prosecutors used the Patriot Act's expansion of currency transaction reportingrequirements to indict Hastert on federal charges.[SUP][32][/SUP]
[SUP]

[/SUP]Heh.

Hastert was known as a frequent critic of Bill Clinton, and immediately upon taking speakership "played a lead role" in the
[SUP]

[/SUP]Seems a bit hypocritical in light of what we now know. But what's much, much worse in light of the possibility that Hastert raped young boys:

In a December 2006, the House Ethics Committee determined that Hastert and other congressional leaders were "willfully ignorant" in responding to early warnings of the Mark Foley congressional page scandal, but did not violate any House rules.[SUP][46][/SUP][SUP][47][/SUP] In a committee statement, Kirk Fordham, who was Foley's chief of staff until 2005, said that he had alerted Scott Palmer, Hastert's chief of staff, to Foley's inappropriate advances toward congressional pages in 2002 or 2003, asking congressional leadership to intervene.[SUP][47][/SUP] Then-House Majority Leader John Boehner and National Republican Congressional Committee chair Thomas M. Reynolds stated that they told Hastert about Foley's conduct in spring 2005.[SUP][47][/SUP] A Hastert spokesman stated that "what Kirk Fordham said did not happen."[SUP][47][/SUP]

Turning a blind eye, and all.

ETA: I don't know why, but I've had issues with the quote function since the site's makeover. I didn't insert end quotes in the middle of the copied text, and each time I delete them, they come right back.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I don't know why, but I've had issues with the quote function since the site's makeover. I didn't insert end quotes in the middle of the copied text, and each time I delete them, they come right back.
They're so well placed you could pass them off as dramatic pauses.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
This whole thing has me completely nauseous. And the icing on the cake is that I'm a Devil-worshipping Commie* and can't even enjoy the hypocrisy of this "conservative" being exposed. Cos I'm also a gay man and all I can think is how this just reinforces every twisted stereotype all the people who hate me already believe.
the possibility that Hastert raped young boys
I feel compelled to state your phraseology disturbs me. It strikes me as unnecessarily inflammatory--designed to elicit the most emotional of responses. I can not, however, dispute the facts (with the caveat of the "possibility" included, that is). In that same vein:

*I may have overstated my political/religious beliefs for effect.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Regardless, blackmail is still blackmail. It's illegal and a confessed blackmailer shouldn't get a pass here, imo.

It occurs to me that we don't know that it WAS blackmail, at least not from the information presented thus far. We have it alleged that he was paying someone off. It is not alleged that the payoffs were due to blackmail. A payoff doesn't always equal blackmail.

ETA: The OP is where the assertion of "blackmailer" comes from. But the link doesn't quite support that--
"in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct against Individual A."
Doesn't say whether it was extortion or payoff.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
It occurs to me that we don't know that it WAS blackmail, at least not from the information presented thus far. We have it alleged that he was paying someone off. It is not alleged that the payoffs were due to blackmail. A payoff doesn't always equal blackmail.

ETA: The OP is where the assertion of "blackmailer" comes from. But the link doesn't quite support that-- Doesn't say whether it was extortion or payoff.
As in he may have entered into a contractual agreement of silence with his victim? That's certainly a possibility.

The phrase is certainly disturbing. The act, more so.
And when it comes to light I say label it so. But there are a wide range of possible indiscretions/acts of horribleness that could be behind this, none of which could challenge the resonance of a phrase like "raped young boys". Those three words seem more appropriate just before we pull the offender from his home, douse him in oil and set him on fire. But maybe because I've had people scream similar things in my face while, y'know, I was speaking in support of a gay/straight alliance at my high school, YMMV.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The phrase is certainly disturbing. The act, more so.
We don't know the particulars of the case.

If a teacher has a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old, it's certainly inappropriate and quite possibly criminal. However, to describe it as "raping young boys" is, I think, emotionally charged and is an assumption that so far we have no facts to support.

There have been many cases of male (and female) high school teachers having sexual relationships with 17-year-old girls. Seldom if ever have I seen that referred to as "raping young girls." I believe that is what is upsetting that Johnny, and I believe rightly so.

Let's wait until we find out exactly what happened before we see if that's really an appropriate description.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I say "possibility" because, at this point, all we have is allegations. Those allegations, however, is that he committed - quote - "sexual abuse" against a younger male during his time as a wrestling coach at a high school.

Sexual abuse does not, to me, sound like a consensual relationship. And he was in a position of power over these children - as a wrestling coach, likely physical as well as in other ways.

But yes, I will concede that we should wait and see.

Last edited: