Grammar Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDude

Registered
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere to find the correct way to write this line, but I can't find any help, and now it's bugging me.

Perhaps one of you kind souls can help?

Should it be: "He hasn't the time or inclination."

Or: "He hasn't the time nor inclination."

I could write: "He has neither the time nor inclination" which would be correct, but now I'm curious to know how to write the original.

Gah!

Any ideas?

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
KDude, check out our Grammar for Grasshoppers board, too.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
KDude said:
I could write: "He has neither the time nor inclination" which would be correct....
It would have to be "He has neither the time nor the inclination." What follows "nor" is grammatically parallel to what follows "neither." Those two parts of the sentence should therefore have the same structure.

Schools should never have dropped sentence diagramming from the English curriculum.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Grammar

What reph said. "He has neither the time nor the inclination" is correct.

It's either/or, neither/nor, and since you write "the time" you need to write "the inclination."

Parallelism at work.

James makes a good p[oint about who the character is, but as a writer, you need to know the correct way of writing, you need to know what parallelism is and how to use it, or you can't get it right for various characters, either.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Emerald, the grammar gurus have come, deposited their (our) droppings, and flown away.

jamesaritchie said:
James makes a good p[oint about who the character is, but as a writer, you need to know the correct way of writing, you need to know what parallelism is and how to use it, or you can't get it right for various characters, either.
You'll also need to know the correct way when you write narration and the narrator is not a character in the story.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
grammar

reph said:
Emerald, the grammar gurus have come, deposited their (our) droppings, and flown away.

You'll also need to know the correct way when you write narration and the narrator is not a character in the story.

Yes, good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.