PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Help?

KDude
04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I've looked everywhere to find the correct way to write this line, but I can't find any help, and now it's bugging me.

Perhaps one of you kind souls can help?

Should it be: "He hasn't the time or inclination."

Or: "He hasn't the time nor inclination."

I could write: "He has neither the time nor inclination" which would be correct, but now I'm curious to know how to write the original.

Gah!

Any ideas?

three seven
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
He hasn't the time or the inclination.

Aconite
04-08-2006, 03:29 PM
KDude, check out our Grammar for Grasshoppers board, too.

KDude
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Many thanks.

reph
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I could write: "He has neither the time nor inclination" which would be correct....
It would have to be "He has neither the time nor the inclination." What follows "nor" is grammatically parallel to what follows "neither." Those two parts of the sentence should therefore have the same structure.

Schools should never have dropped sentence diagramming from the English curriculum.

James D. Macdonald
04-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Is it meant to be dialog?

What's the character, class, education, and region of the person speaking the line?

Jamesaritchie
04-09-2006, 12:59 AM
What reph said. "He has neither the time nor the inclination" is correct.

It's either/or, neither/nor, and since you write "the time" you need to write "the inclination."

Parallelism at work.

James makes a good p[oint about who the character is, but as a writer, you need to know the correct way of writing, you need to know what parallelism is and how to use it, or you can't get it right for various characters, either.

emeraldcite
04-09-2006, 01:11 AM
we'll get our grammar gurus on this.

reph
04-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Emerald, the grammar gurus have come, deposited their (our) droppings, and flown away.

James makes a good p[oint about who the character is, but as a writer, you need to know the correct way of writing, you need to know what parallelism is and how to use it, or you can't get it right for various characters, either.
You'll also need to know the correct way when you write narration and the narrator is not a character in the story.

Jamesaritchie
04-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Emerald, the grammar gurus have come, deposited their (our) droppings, and flown away.

You'll also need to know the correct way when you write narration and the narrator is not a character in the story.

Yes, good point.