PDA

View Full Version : Abortion counseling

lacygnette
05-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Has anyone been counseled before an abortion? I don't need to know your decision, just what counseling was like. It would help me to know the date and state also. I have an MC who wants to become a counselor; she's thinking Florida. It's after Roe but before the violence started.

Also, did you encounter any protestors when you went for your appointment?

And if anyone is actually a counselor and would like to share that experience a little, it would be so helpful. I have a good imagination but don't want to imagine an untruth.

Thanks.

Lauram6123
05-27-2015, 03:51 AM
I don't know if you saw it, but Salon had an article on Sunday that may prove helpful to you. http://www.salon.com/2015/05/25/working_at_an_abortion_clinic_challenged_my_pro_ch oice_views_%E2%80%94_and_confirmed_them/

lacygnette
05-27-2015, 04:48 AM
Thank you Laura. I had not seen that.

WeaselFire
05-28-2015, 01:56 AM
How long after Roe v. Wade? In the late 1970's or early 1980's, counseling consisted primarily of getting a list of available options in a pamphlet, along with a medical evaluation. In the mid 1990's, it started moving deeper into anti-abortion counseling and eventually became mandated in Florida. Current counseling must include a thorough explanation of all of the process, including what happens to the fetus, as well as counseling toward other options.

This also depends on the type of counseling service. Many are thinly disguised clinics run by religious groups with an extreme slant to preventing abortion. There are pretty much no government run or supported clinics or counseling programs, and none are currently run by abortion providers. In Florida, the least biased is Planned Parenthood, although in many areas Planned Parenthood has closed its offices. The backlash in Florida, and much of the South, is too heavy. Quite a few women are choosing to travel out of state, or even out of the country, to avoid the stigma. Not that this is really that new a development.

Lastly, why not simply call a Planned Parenthood location and ask them? Describe what your character is planning and ask if they think it's realistic.

Jeff

lacygnette
05-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Thank you Jeff. It's the late 70's and most of the information I've found is for later. Your timeline was helpful. It depresses me that women are still going out of country. I know Mexico used to be a place of choice, but with the current drug war, I can't imagine it now.

mayqueen
05-29-2015, 04:58 PM
What do you mean by counseling? There's like actual clinical provider counseling. That's fairly uncommon. And then there's the counseling that happens at the abortion clinic when the person goes in for the appointment.