• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Review Expectation

Status
Not open for further replies.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I belong to a different group where there was a discussion of beta readers. One person said that there is an expectation that the beta readers you give your book to before it's out will leave a review on Amazon or elsewhere once the book is actually published and that you, the writer, should be emailing them to remind them, since people forget or get bogged down with other things.

I'm very new to beta reading but I've been doing some research and I don't recall every seeing anything like this.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to "expect" people you've asked to beta read your book before publication to leave a review once the book is published as a way to start gathering reviews. Yes, it would be nice if beta readers would do this on their own because they liked the book or think it deserves a review or just want to help out the writer (provided the review is an honest one, of course). But I don't think I would ever expect them to do this and I certainly wouldn't nudge them about it. This goes doubly for beta readers who might be kind enough to review my work even though the genre might not be one that they would naturally go to on their own (for example, I write historical fiction, so someone who is more of a thriller kind of person who might agree to beta read for me). I would feel like I'm forcing them out of their element, which just isn't fair.

Thoughts on this?

Djuna

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
No, I do not believe there is any such expectation. This person is already doing something immensely valuable for the author, no need to develop a sense of entitlement about getting even more. They may of course signal that they want to, or do so spontaneously.

I would add that I have beta-ed for several authors and in at least half of those cases I would not give a glowing review if I was being honest. Beta is not the same as fan.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
No, I do not believe there is any such expectation. This person is already doing something immensely valuable for the author, no need to develop a sense of entitlement about getting even more. They may of course signal that they want to, or do so spontaneously.

I would add that I have beta-ed for several authors and in at least half of those cases I would not give a glowing review if I was being honest. Beta is not the same as fan.

+1

To both statements. I'm thankful enough that they help me deal with issues in my writing. I wouldn't think of asking for more. Aside from anything else, it seems rude and ungrateful.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Is this person confusing beta readers and ARC reviewers?

I would never give a review based solely on a beta read, even if I liked it, because I would expect the book to change significantly between the beta stage and publication.

I also wouldn't ask someone for a review without offering a free copy of the finished book. I like to support writers I know, but it seems unreasonable to expect someone to buy and review your book simply because they beta read for you or know you in some other way.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Is this person confusing beta readers and ARC reviewers?
That was my first thought as well.

I'd feel really uncomfortable writing a review for something I beta'd. I'm not going to give them a glowing review just because we're friends.

If I really enjoyed a particular story and wanted to recommend it, I might, but even then... it would feel weird.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think there's an expectation. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone whose book I've betaed and LOVED asked me if I could write a review at my own time, but if someone were to come to me and be like, "Hey, you betaed my book last year...what happened? Why aren't you reviewing it?" I'd be pretty weirded out. And pissed off. And if it's a book I betaed and hated...well, that's just awkward. :D

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you thought, Djuna. I don't "expect" anyone who's read my MS to give me a review if I ever get it published. It would be an added bonus/favour if they chose to. Also, I've betad one or two books that I probably wouldn't go ahead and review because I didn't enjoy them that much. And I don't think the writers of those have expected me to do so.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Personally I like to pick up the 'final' version of works I've beta-ed for friends, and will review after checking out the shiny final stories*. But I don't feel any particular obligation to do this, it's just something I enjoy. I would never ask my beta readers to do it.

(*Honesty time: it's never a particularly critical review, because I've already read the story and am fond of it. But I always disclose that I beta read the manuscript and that the author is a friend.)

Last edited:

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
that brings up a interesting idea, ask beta readers who loved your book to review it again once it is published..
make sure they read the final or that you have not changed to much or the review could be different to the final story.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that expecting beta readers to review your books is not fair.

I know I'll sound like a total idiot, but what is ARC reviewer? Is that like someone you've asked to review an advanced copy of your book and provided them with a free copy of the book? If so, how might you go about getting these reviews (or is that only for established writers)?

Djuna

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is anyone who review an advance copy prior to publication. More commonly for a trade publisher or some other publisher set up to have a period of at least three months between the book being complete and the actual release.

Status
Not open for further replies.