First draft by my birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
It occurred to me today that if I write 500 words a day starting tomorrow I can have my first draft finished on my birthday. So that's my goal now. 500 words a day, every day, no rewriting or second-guessing, and a complete first draft ready to be revised and rewritten in November. 500 words a day isn't much, but it's more than nothing, which is what I'm presently doing.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
500 words this morning. Trying very hard not to think of how they could be better words.

500/80,000

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is totally doable, even by a busy person with a job, family, and plenty of other commitments. About how long does it take you on a typical day?

Maryn, nosy

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
That is totally doable, even by a busy person with a job, family, and plenty of other commitments. About how long does it take you on a typical day?

Maryn, nosy

Around an hour. As a time commitment, it's more than doable (for me). The low word count for me is more to avoid burnout and getting overwhelmed.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Around an hour. As a time commitment, it's more than doable (for me). The low word count for me is more to avoid burnout and getting overwhelmed.
Exactly the right approach for a huge task. When our kids were little, their rooms' chaos was way beyond their ability to tidy up. But they could find all the books and put them on the shelf, or find all the dirty clothes and drop them down the chute. Break big jobs into doable tasks and they get done!

Maryn, pleased for you

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray, Liz! You'll be in good company, too, since I read that 500 a day was Terry Prachett's word count. :)

beccajw2

Worshiper of the Krispy Kreme
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great goal! Rooting for you :)

LeilaH

Registered
Reaction score
That's what got me my first draft, though I started even lower at 200 words (had a 4 month old at the time, just writing each day was an achievement!). I found I gained momentum and finished before my goal, and though rewrites are taking longer than hoped (more burn out from life than writing, though), slowly chipping away does way more than waiting for big chunks of time, imo.

Good luck with it all :)

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :) And this:

Hurray, Liz! You'll be in good company, too, since I read that 500 a day was Terry Prachett's word count. :)

Made me feel great! I'm sure my words aren't as good as Sir Terry's, but he wrote an awful lot of really wonderful stuff at that pace, so I don't feel like such a snail now.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
It's 100% possible, and a lot more realistic than my current crunchtime goal (2k a day).

Keep it up, keep it up! Print out a calendar, and write your final wordcount for the day on it. That's what helps me (most of the time) :D

Gogogogo!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
2000 words in, I can't help feeling like I've made a huge mistake. This chapter is not very good; in fact, it's bad, and not an improvement on the original. I suppose I should keep going but it's getting harder because the writing's not getting better.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
My writing skills have steadily improved in recent times, but I'm not sure you could tell that by reading my first drafts. The important thing is to have a first draft. Keep going. You're doing the right thing by going forward.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but it's a rewrite of sorts. So shouldn't there be at least some improvement? I'm going to keep going but it's hard to escape the feeling that I'm just making it worse and that the rewrite of this draft will also be bad. I just foresee an endless loop of rewriting and not really fixing anything.

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
You have been so vicious with yourself lately that I think you ought to consider that you're not the best person to judge whether your work has improved or not.

Personally, I like to swing between viciousness at myself and delusions of grandeur while I'm writing. Neither one serves me to write better; only pushing forward serves me. I know this, and it doesn't stop me from indulging in thoughts that I am either terrible or wonderful. But I also don't allow those thoughts to keep me from pushing forward. I consider it my only hope.

If I had the words to inspire you to treat yourself more gently, I would say them. But I'm not sure that I have that kind of power. I can only assure you that you deserve to treat yourself more gently and I hope that you find me trustworthy enough to believe that I mean it. And I don't know that I have the appropriate words to keep you moving forward, either. I can only advise you to keep putting one foot in the front of the other, and don't look back. Not now.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
It's just a bit depressing to realize I'll spend the next several weeks working on something that isn't very good and isn't likely to get better. I can fix it later but odds are I won't really know how to do that either.

Last edited:

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
I think now's a good time to take a look at the quote you've got in your signature.
"Keep going. Finish what you start."
Just keep powering through and remember that everything can be rewritten and worked upon later. First drafts are always terrible.
There's another quote I like to think about when I'm feeling that way: "Nothing begets nothing while something might beget something good".
Just keep writing and you'll discover the beauty of your writing in the rewrites. All the first draft has to do is exist. That's its only job!
You've got this!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
One week update: 3000/80,000. Which puts me 1000 words behind pace, but I'm sure I can make it up somewhere.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, 3000 new words means you're not stalled anymore. My week was similarly slow, but it seemed necessary. Keep going. You can do this. :)

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't update yesterday because I didn't write anything, but here's the two-week update: 8000/80,000. I'm ten percent done!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Now you only have to do that nine more times and you'll be done!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
12,000/???. I think this draft is going to fall well short of 80K.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep going. If I was telling the story of me writing, the title would be something like 57 Ways Not to Write a Novel. Seriously. Queries are even worse. I screw up all the time and go back and fix it later. I like the Thomas Edison comparison. When asked how he felt about his failure rate (and it was up in the tens of thousands), he said something to the effect of: I haven't failed. I've discovered ways not to make a light bulb.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
15,500 words. Not much to show for four weeks, but at least I'm writing.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
20,000 words. 1/4 of the way through, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.