Got Myself Into a Bit of a Rhubarb

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my mother in law sold her parents' home after her father died at 95, there was one interesting clause in the contract. She retained the right to harvest up to half the rhubarb she and her daddy had planted when she was a little girl. As long as she lived in the area, once each spring she would phone to see how it was coming and arrange a time when she might come over without bothering anyone.

So Mr. Maryn likes rhubarb, without the adulteration of raspberries or strawberries. I made a from-scratch cobbler yesterday that came out really well even though I did modifications to make it healthier. I figured I'd share it.

Maryn's Rhubarb Cobbler

1 C. sugar (or 1/2 sugar and 1/2 bakeable sugar substitute like Splenda)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 1/2 C. rhubarb, fresh or frozen, cut in 1/2"slices (about 1 - 1.25 lb)
1 1/2 C. water
few drops red food coloring
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine (substituting low-fat margarine works)

1 C. flour
6 T. sugar (or 1/2 sugar and 1/2 bakeable sugar substitute)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. butter or margarine (I used 3 Tbsp.)
6 T. milk or almond milk
1/3 C. chopped pecans
3/4 tsp. grated orange peel (orange zest)

Preheat oven to 400F. Measure stick butter or margarine for topping and set out to soften.

In saucepan, combine sugar and cinnamon. Add rhubarb, water and coloring. Cook and stir until mixture boils; cook 2 min. more. Stir in 2 T. butter until it melts. Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 - 2 qt. casserole or baking dish. Keep bubbling hot in oven. (Or prepare the topping first, then do this step.)

For topping, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in softened butter with pastry blender or two forks; stir in milk, pecans and orange peel. Push topping from soup spoon in dollops atop hot fruit, leaving only small gaps. (It will spread to close or nearly close them.) Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 min. Serve with cream or ice cream. Or without.

It was quite tasty, and with reduced fat and sugar, not especially unhealthy.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why you torture me?

PS: Adding berries to rhubarb anything is an abomination and an admission of cowardice. Embrace the rhubarbiness!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to try this. I planted rhubarb last year as an experiment and the plant is huge and vigorous this year. I've been looking for a berry-less rhubarb recipe and this looks like it will fill the bill. Thanks!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to make this, put together the topping first. It takes longer than boiling the rhubarb, by a pretty good margin. And it was good without any ice cream, too!

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Rhubarb doesn't need stewing first - it'll cook over 30 minutes in the oven.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds absolutely delicious. I have a baking-savvy partner ... hmm. *prints the list and leaves it about the house*

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All this hatin' on stuff in rhubarb . . . I feel like I've come home! It's perfect as it is, without need for strawberries!

But really, you don't need to reduce the rhubarb? I made my first rhubarb pie this past weekend, and even with boiling down the juice to a syrup it came out way too runny. Was there something else I messed up?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't reduce it at all. It was about as runny as a cherry pie, able to hold the basic shape of the cut serving but with some thick juice leaking out the edges.

Thanks for the link to the original rhubarb thread. I'd looked for it but failed to locate it earlier. Much appreciated.

Maryn, who served it on plates rather than in bowls

Jack Lebowski

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great recipe Maryn! My family made homemade rhubarb pie when I was growing up. From rhubarb growing in our back yard. No additives either! Just rhubarb as rhubarb! Hated it most severly!:cry:

Oh well, different strokes as they say.

Still remember the Benny Hill joke about the bad chef who made a rhubarb pie. Three foot long and two inches wide.:ROFL:

Jack-Cooked Dandelion greens taste pretty much like any other greens to me. Including lawn clippings.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone here at AW tells a story about her grandmother taking her along when she was collecting dandelion greens for a salad. Apparently treated lawns were unsafe or untasty, so they'd seek a neglected cemetery. I always wanted to use that in fiction.

Maryn, story stealer

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting about the rhubarb.

Dandelion roots can be roasted, ground, and made into coffee. Which had a popcorny taste, actually.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had chicory "coffee" before--I wonder what part of the plant it's from? It's not like there was this gigantic and capable means of looking things up at my fingertips...

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't had rhubarb in years. My grandad grew the stuff as I recall and it was a treat to eat it raw with a sugar dip.

I don't think the boys have tried it yet.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Someone here at AW tells a story about her grandmother taking her along when she was collecting dandelion greens for a salad. Apparently treated lawns were unsafe or untasty, so they'd seek a neglected cemetery. I always wanted to use that in fiction.

Maryn, story stealer

Too funny!
And yeah, a perfect bit in a story.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Wotta Rhubarb! Liked the cat--hate the plant. Grandma used to cook it down and slather it on home made bread with butter and sugar. Sorry folks, maybe it was the soggy bread, but I hate the stuff even in pie. --s6