empathize

Groundbelow73

Registered
Reaction score
And the next question that is bothering me. :D

He had seen how he empathized the situation of the girls.

The meaning is that he felt sorry for them, but he didn't pity them, he empathized, felt with them, put himself into their position. I know "empathize" is the right verb, but I'm not sure how to use it.
"He empathized with the girls" sounds wrong. "He empathized the situation of the girls / the girls were in" sounds pretty "German". :D
How would a native speaker express it?

slashedkaze

Smutter
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong about "He empathized with the girls." Although you might want to use sympathize here to get across that he feels sorry for them.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
In English, it's 'empathized with'. The 'z' makes it American English rather than British English.

apchelopech

Registered
Reaction score
And the next question that is bothering me. :D

He had seen how he empathized the situation of the girls.

The meaning is that he felt sorry for them, but he didn't pity them, he empathized, felt with them, put himself into their position. I know "empathize" is the right verb, but I'm not sure how to use it.
"He empathized with the girls" sounds wrong. "He empathized the situation of the girls / the girls were in" sounds pretty "German". :D
How would a native speaker express it?

Actually, the meaning isn't to feel sorry for someone - that's sympathise. To empathise is to recognise and relate to someone else's situation, without necessarily feeling sorry for them.
And as has been noted, 'empathise' is invariably followed with 'with' - so your 'sounds wrong' version is actually right. :)

Groundbelow73

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the meaning isn't to feel sorry for someone - that's sympathise. To empathise is to recognise and relate to someone else's situation, without necessarily feeling sorry for them.
And as has been noted, 'empathise' is invariably followed with 'with' - so your 'sounds wrong' version is actually right. :)

Yes, that's what I was trying to express - "relate to someone else's situation".

Thanks to everyone! :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is with your sentence construction, not with the word "empathize". American or British, it doesn't work.