Share your tagline!

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got this idea browsing the "Share Your Work - Query Letter" forum.

I've heard mixed things about whether or not to include a "tagline" in your query letter, but I thought "Wouldn't it be a fun exercise to see all the different taglines AW writers can come up with and/or share in one thread?"

Here are the rules:

1)The tagline has to be short(ish)
2) The only other information you can have in the posting is the title.
3) GRAB US
biggrin.gif

Have fun everyone!

Here is mine, for starters:

A maverick lady mage.

…a bastard swordsman…an outcast archer.

…and a villain who never got the chance to be a hero.

THE RESPEN REBEL

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. What I am writing now:

TITLE: Whom the Gods Destroy
TAGLINE: What if the greatest love of your life existed only in your own mind?

urk, that could be improved, but you (hopefully) get the idea.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
For the social outcasts and the working poor, heroics are necessary just to lead a normal life. Three children of demons live and love in a town that would burn them alive for the crime of existance.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
Shades of Gray:

A gang seeped in tradition. A family with one goal. A hunt that has lasted since the world was young. And the girl who walked away from it all.

This is actually not exactly right, but i'll come back to it.

T G McKenna

Registered
Reaction score
The Sword and the Scepter:

Gaulth finds himself faced with questions of morality far more complicated than his simple view of life has allowed. Can he afford a conscience when his foe is amoral? Will his stubbornness cost him his life? And will his companions’ secrets shatter him, or save him?

... or something like that.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these. I'm unpublished, so take my advice with a grain of salt (maybe more!), but I thought it might be helpful to critique as well. Taglines can be useful in query letters, elevator pitches, or just honing your idea to a fine point when talking to agents, editors, or even friends.

I'm going to do this one at a time, so look for yours later on. People can keep posting too! Or share their own critiques. I know mine needs help, so if anyone wants to pick at it, feel free!

Paint wrote:

Renegade Artist
Warrior of Truth
Mother of Teenage Energy Leech
Living just outside the boundaries of Reality.
Child of an adult body

This is similar in style to mine, so perhaps I could turn this critique back on myself
wink.gif

This feels kind of choppy, and I'm not sure if this is all the same person or five different characters. I think you have to ask yourself, could you hear some guy saying this in a voiceover doing a movie trailer? It needs to be somewhat cohesive, with a clear beginning middle and end. You especially want the end of it to have some kind of punch.

Two particular problems:
1) Mother of Teenage Energy Leech--this is so specific that I don't get any kind of feel for the tone of the story. Teenage Energy Leech makes me think of a YA book ("I was a Teenage Energy Leech"), or even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

2) Child of an adult body--ok so technically, we're all children of adult bodies. You can't have a kid until you're physically able. So do you actually mean that this is a child *in* an adult body? I would make this clearer, but I also wouldn't make it your closing.

I'd be interested to see a new version
smile.gif

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You guys prompted me to think up a good tagline for the novel I am really trying to get finished at the moment--and I ended up really liking it and getting a better feeling for what this book is about. It doesn;t really describe the plot but does indicate the tone.

TITLE: The Wicca Man I: Tongue Tied
TAG: If you love something, let it go -- if it comes back and kills you that was probably a mistake.

Yep, Emily the angst queen is trying to write something light-hearted...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Killing comes easy when you’re the daughter of a mob boss, even if you're a strawberry blond whose education peaked in home economics.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Hmm. What I am writing now:

TITLE: Whom the Gods Destroy
TAGLINE: What if the greatest love of your life existed only in your own mind?

urk, that could be improved, but you (hopefully) get the idea.

veinglory said:
You guys prompted me to think up a good tagline for the novel I am really trying to get finished at the moment--and I ended up really liking it and getting a better feeling for what this book is about. It doesn;t really describe the plot but does indicate the tone.

TITLE: The Wicca Man I: Tongue Tied
TAG: If you love something, let it go -- if it comes back and kills you that was probably a mistake.

Yep, Emily the angst queen is trying to write something light-hearted...

I LOVE the 2nd tagline. There's only one little burr in the saddle, I think, and that's the word "that" in the last part. I'm trying to think how to say it any better, but I don't think I can. You could even say "If you love something, let it go -- if it comes back and kills you, that was a mistake." with the same effect and it's a little more concise. Brevity is everything with taglines.

Good job! I'm curious now, which is the point
tongue.gif

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
Is it too late to add mine? I really need help.

About a repressed woman in her forties, who, after her husband dies, finally learns to live.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
This is a toughie, especially since it keeps changing on me, but I'll give it a shot.

TITLE: Key Witness
Tagline: A ghost insists on speaking with a rookie FBI Agent about a series of cross country murders, but is she only a witness or a perpetrator?

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
veinglory, I love your tagline. I played a bit and came up with:

If you love something, let it go -- if it comes back and kills you, you made a mistake.

or,

If you love something, let it go -- and hope it doesn't come back to kill you.

or,

If you love something, let it go. Just hope it doesn't come back to kill you.