PDA

View Full Version : Romance Contest Score Sheets

seaaircarol
04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have entered contests, how long did it take for you
to receive your score sheets? A week, a month? I entered the Yellow Rose Contest and can't seem to get an answer from them.

Thanks!

Susan Gable
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have entered contests, how long did it take for you
to receive your score sheets? A week, a month? I entered the Yellow Rose Contest and can't seem to get an answer from them.

Thanks!

This varies greatly. Is this your first contest? Score sheets are never sent out until the finalists are announced. (Usually) Once the finalists are announced, it's common practice to then send out the score sheets for the entrants who didn't final. (usually by then, contest coordinators are happy to get the stuff out of their houses. <G>) If you finaled, you generally won't get your score sheets until after the final judging has been completed, and the winner results announced.

Please bear in mind that running a contest is a huge undertaking. (Been there, done that as a category coordinator for one.) Bear in mind that the contest coordinator is a volunteer who's juggling her own life, her own writing, and is possibly scrambling trying to get judges to mail the scores back to HER. (For the life of me, I don't get people in writing who don't understand DEADLINES. <sigh>)

Are they totally ignoring you? Or do they just not have a firm answer? Ignoring you is not a good thing.

I think I have a friend who might know who the contest coordinator is for that group. Let me see if I can dig up more information for you.

Susan G.

seaaircarol
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks very much for your input, Susan. Since the time I first posted, I *have*

heard back from them...they said they would begin sending the score sheets to

non-finalists in the middle of this week. So I guess they're starting now.

You're right--I'm sure it is a big undertaking for the volunteers.

Thanks again.

Susan Gable
04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks very much for your input, Susan. Since the time I first posted, I *have*

heard back from them...they said they would begin sending the score sheets to

non-finalists in the middle of this week. So I guess they're starting now.

You're right--I'm sure it is a big undertaking for the volunteers.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Try to remember that one judge's opinion is just that - an opinion. You're free to agree or disagree with them. But do understand that most judges put a lot of effort into judging, and most of them don't mean to be hurtful, although at times comments can feel hurtful.

If more than one judge makes the same comments, then that may (MAY! <G>) signify that it's something you should consider.

No matter how hard people try, judging writing is always a very subjective experience. Some people like certain things that other people hate, some people get annoyed with certain craft issues (more than one POV per scene, for example) that other people don't mind at all. (When done well, I don't mind a POV switch in a scene at all. Don't like head-hopping, though.)

Best of luck to you, and I hope that you find your scoresheets offer you some helpful information on how to improve your craft/story!

Susan G.