William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats dealt a stinging blow to President Barack Obama Tuesday by blocking legislation that would grant him authority to fast-track international trade deals.

Democrats, including several who favor Obama's trade agenda, banded together to prevent the Senate from considering legislation that grants the president so-called Trade Promotion Authority, which would bar Congress from amending or filibustering trade agreements negotiated by the administration.

Fifty-two senators voted to start debate on the bill, short of the 60 needed to overcome a Democratic filibuster. Forty-five senators voted against the plan.

The fast-track bill is seen as essential to passing the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a secretive trade deal the Obama administration is negotiating with 11 other Asian-Pacific countries. Obama's rejection at the hands of his own party follows his bitter public feud with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) over his trade agenda. Republican leaders in the House and Senate support both TPA and TPP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/12/senate-democrats-trade-promotion-authority_n_7267600.html

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
YAY!! I was furious about fast-track and not very keen on the details - More air & sunshine needed on this "deal" for sure!!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just one more reason those of us in Massachusetts are proud to have voted for Elizabeth Warren, and unlike Obama she has
been very public on what's going on.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Never in my lifetime have I been so disgusted by someone I voted for.