PDA

View Full Version : Is this a "maybe later" or a "go away"

rohstod
05-12-2015, 09:05 PM
I've had a few responses trickle in so far (about five). Most of them were of the thanks-but-no-thanks variety, but I've been picking my brain about this one. Is it a another polite "no thanks" or should I resubmit to them a few months from now?

"Thank you for submitting XXXXX. Unfortunately, we do not feel this is the right fit for our agency at this point in time, considering our current clients and their upcoming projects."

Thanks for any insight!

Taylor Kowalski
05-12-2015, 09:15 PM
That's a standard form rejection. It's a polite "no thanks," full stop. I wouldn't requery them with the same manuscript unless it (and likely your query letter) has a substantial structural overhaul, as in a total or near-total rewrite. :) Good luck querying!

mayqueen
05-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I think it's a polite no thanks.

waylander
05-12-2015, 10:09 PM
What they said - form rejection

rohstod
05-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Sort of what I figured. Thanks for the help, guys!

Ravioli
05-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Think dating site. They have their profile up. They're active. Only YOU don't fit in their agenda "at this point"? So in a year they MIGHT BE into you, because only "at this point" they ain't? Yeah, no. If they might be into you in a year, they might be "at this point".

heza
05-15-2015, 11:00 PM
I wanted to say something about this earlier, but I couldn't log in... so this is late and probably not helpful. By the wording, it could be just a form rejection, but it sounds to me like it could also be implying that one of their current clients is already working on a book that sounds too similar to yours.

Roxxsmom
05-23-2015, 04:25 AM
I don't know enough about agenting to say whether most agents have several pre-fabbed form rejections they choose between, so the particular one they chose for you actually means something (as whether they actually have a different one for manuscripts that are well written but not what they want right now versus ones that are the kind of thing they'd be interested in but the writing wasn't up to their standards). I suspect most agencies just have a single politely worded and vague form letter then use for all though, and it doesn't matter if the query and sample pages were "not ever in a kajillion years" versus "oh so close but not quite the sort of thing I'm looking for right now."

I know some people place a lot of importance, for instance, on whether or not the rejection invited them to query again with their next novel. But if it's a form rejection, I don't think it really means anything (and anyway, I've never heard of an agent who said that the authors of unsuccessful queries weren't welcome to query them again with a new project sometime down the line).

I do know a couple of people who have gotten personalized rejections on queries, ones that specifically mentioned something about the story or a character. But in the absence of something very specific, I'd just assume a rejection message you get on an unsolicited query is the same one they send to everyone, and unless they specifically say it's okay to revise and resubmit the same manuscript (or say on their site that it's okay to do so), I'd assume a no on this version is a no for that manuscript for forever.

Old Hack
05-23-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't know enough about agenting to say whether most agents have several pre-fabbed form rejections they choose between, so the particular one they chose for you actually means something (as whether they actually have a different one for manuscripts that are well written but not what they want right now versus ones that are the kind of thing they'd be interested in but the writing wasn't up to their standards). I suspect most agencies just have a single politely worded and vague form letter then use for all though,

I know several agents and agencies which have a selection of form letters, all of which mean "no thanks". They have different ones which they use in turn, because when they use just one they will get writers complaining about having received identical rejections for different books, which apparently shows how unprofessional or uncaring or incompetent the agents are. It is quite extraordinary what people will complain about.

and it doesn't matter if the query and sample pages were "not ever in a kajillion years" versus "oh so close but not quite the sort of thing I'm looking for right now."

True. The response was "no", just the same.

I know some people place a lot of importance, for instance, on whether or not the rejection invited them to query again with their next novel. But if it's a form rejection, I don't think it really means anything (and anyway, I've never heard of an agent who said that the authors of unsuccessful queries weren't welcome to query them again with a new project sometime down the line).

Spot on.

I do know a couple of people who have gotten personalized rejections on queries, ones that specifically mentioned something about the story or a character. But in the absence of something very specific, I'd just assume a rejection message you get on an unsolicited query is the same one they send to everyone, and unless they specifically say it's okay to revise and resubmit the same manuscript (or say on their site that it's okay to do so), I'd assume a no on this version is a no for that manuscript for forever.

Spot on again. You are on fire today!

Roxxsmom
05-23-2015, 12:44 PM
I wish my inbox were on fire instead of filled with bored, melancholy crickets.