PDA

View Full Version : The AW vBulletin upgrade

Gale Haut
05-11-2015, 08:12 AM
I approve. And I haven't tested on my phone yet but this looks mobile responsive. Anyone else excited about this change?

:)

MacAllister
05-11-2015, 08:14 AM
It should be MUCH more mobile friendly - it's one of the reasons we bit the bullet and did the big upgrade. The actual LOOKS of the place may well evolve (okay...WILL evolve) over the next few days -- but we didn't want to keep the community locked out any longer than we absolutely had to. :)

lilyWhite
05-11-2015, 08:15 AM
The font still isn't Comic Sans MS.

...but that's okay, I have a Chrome plugin for that. =^_^=

cornflake
05-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Haaate it. I much prefer the clean, er, classier look and better readability, to my view, of the old forum. This just looks like every forum with 42 blinkery, sparkle sigs where each page is 2% text, 98% everything else.

Wanderluster
05-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I love the "new posts" feature that shows the latest activity. Is that new?

Has anyone found where the link to our CP is hiding? I feel a bit lost without it!

Wanderluster
05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
But how do you really feel, Corny? ;)

ETA: ah! weird, unfamiliar emoticons!

lilyWhite
05-11-2015, 08:27 AM
At the least, it could use a tweak so that the signatures aren't fixed below user details (i.e. the vast gulf of blank space between this sentence and my signature).

cornflake
05-11-2015, 08:28 AM
It's also so squidgy!

There was always new posts? What about this new posts am I missing?

MacAllister
05-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Cornflake, the looks will change significantly -- but we can do that without locking everyone out. Just running the scripts to convert the database took the better part of two days. So we're a quite a bit behind where we'd wanted to be.

Putputt
05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
There has always been a New Posts button.

I haven't checked the site on my laptop, but it looks good on my phone. It's all shiny and I like the color scheme. Yay!

Wanderluster
05-11-2015, 08:33 AM
It's also so squidgy!

There was always new posts? What about this new posts am I missing?

I don't know if it existed before, but it wasn't there, where it is now. Now it's occupying the spot where the link to CP used to be, so I clicked it, and voila, it shows the latest activity. Cool, but I also want my CP link back where all my subscriptions 'n stuff are...

cornflake
05-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Oh, okie. I'm somewhat mollified this isn't the final design. :)

In other news - get off my lawn!

Maggie Maxwell
05-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Has anyone found where the link to our CP is hiding? I feel a bit lost without it!

Found it! Our CP and more importantly, our reps are hiding under Settings in the upper right.

Wanderluster
05-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Found it! Our CP and more importantly, our reps are hiding under Settings in the upper right.

Yay!! Thanks, TA!

AW Admin
05-11-2015, 08:38 AM
It took 11 hours last night just to update the database.

I've started posting Tips in My AW is Different (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?306502-My-AW-Is-Different!&p=9416881#post9416881). I'll be adding to it.

And there will be new FAQs, 'cause who doesn't love those?

And Mac and I will be customizing templates, but It's Complicated.

Mostly, I wanted to have better support for Cells/smartphones/mobiles, so that's one of the first things.

Gale Haut
05-11-2015, 05:29 PM
It took 11 hours last night just to update the database.

I've started posting Tips in My AW is Different (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?306502-My-AW-Is-Different!&p=9416881#post9416881). I'll be adding to it.

And there will be new FAQs, 'cause who doesn't love those?

And Mac and I will be customizing templates, but It's Complicated.

Mostly, I wanted to have better support for Cells/smartphones/mobiles, so that's one of the first things.

Which I wholeheartedly approve of for my own selfish reason.

I just had to help my company move to a mobile design a few months back. It was a headache and I'm still having to train everyone on the new CMS. I'm sure migrating a forum has all of its own tedious obstacles, so good luck!

Oh, and, did this decision have anything to do with the misnomered "mobile apocalypse" from a couple months back?

Alessandra Kelley
05-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Try this address: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/usercp.php