Questions to Ask a New Agent?

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the querying process again after leaving my agent, who was new when I signed with her. That experience made me a little wary of new agents, though I know everyone has to start somewhere. I've gotten a few partial/full requests, and a new agent at a small but respected agency just upgraded it to a full, seeming very enthusiastic. I've done enough research to know that she could be a great fit for my MS, even though she doesn't have any success stories yet. I'm definitely not taking her out of the running, but I was wondering if there are any questions I should ask if she wants to talk further.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she offers, you could ask stuff like...

-What are her plans for the book? How much editing does she think it needs and what direction is she thinking of taking it in?
-What is her submission strategy? Does she have a list of editors in mind to submit your book to?
-How closely does she work with the more senior agents in the agency? (Basically you're trying to find out if she'll have their contacts as well.)
-How long has she been in the biz?
-What would plan B be if your book (knock on wood) doesn't sell?

Actually, come to think of it, these are probably questions you want to ask any offering agent, new or experienced. Aside from the one about how closely she works with the senior agents, that is. I've asked all of these questions and found the answers to be very helpful in helping me decide which agents to go for in the past. Mind you, I did end up leaving my old agents anyway, even after a 1-hr long face-to-face meeting after which I was SO SURE that they were the perfect fit for me, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
New agents are typically enthusiastic.

Ask her about her experience. Degrees, training, if she has her own works, who did she apprentice under, who might be helping her out at the agency.

Then ask her what she has in store with your book. How experienced is she in your genre, does she have editors in mind.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
All of the above and anything else pertinent to your career and relationship. Does she want to see other stuff you've written? If it's another genre, can she rep it? Ask to speak to other clients of hers too. Find out her preferred communication strategy and time frame so you know what to expect. Some people are e-mail people, others like to get on the phone. Some use a combination.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
New agents are typically enthusiastic.

Do you mean in general (re: submissions)? Because if so, I disagree. Being relatively new, I'm as enthusiastic about a submission/manuscript as if warranted. I look for, and know, good writing. Most slush is not.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
There's a really good list of questions to ask at the Association of Author Representatives FAQ page. Look in the right hand column, about halfway down. While membership in the organization itself isn't that big of a deal (because, like any trade organization, not every agent sees a need) the group has a terrific Canon of Ethics that they hold members to. There's also a search engine to look for an agent from among their members. Good luck!