Sewing machine help? Singer T&S

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Heya, all knowledgeable sewers! I'm 100% newb at sewing machines, making 100% newb mistakes.

I bought an old Singer Touch & Sew 645 yesterday and cannot figure out a few things about it. The machine worked at the buyer's house. I could have knocked something around during transport to my house.

I do have a manual, but it still confuses me.

1. I cannot get the bobbin thread to "catch" and pull up with the needle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The manual says to load a bobbin with the thread facing left and close the panel with the thread in the notch. Okay, done.
Crank the wheel towards you, the needle will go down, but it doesn't catch.

2. When I was able to get the machine to run, it wouldn't stitch. The fabric would feed through, but there weren't any stitches. I attempted to adjust the tension. No improvement. I ran it on "fast" stitch, no improvement. I wonder if it has something to do with the wheel inside the casing?

Anyone have experience with an old "Touch and Swear", I mean Touch and Sew?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
First thought for you is that your bobbin is backwards. I know it sounds stupid, but 9/10s of the time when my machine isn't stitching that's the answer.

Leave a long bobbin thread (like 4"), and a long top thread. I hold the top thread down on the plate when I wheel the top thread down to pick up the bobbin. If it's the kind of model you can leave the door open while you pick up the bobbin thread, try watching to see what happens.

For #2 - the machine should still be advancing the fabric if it's threaded or not. Are you saying it only sometimes advances the fabric, or it tries to make a few stitches, and then only advances the fabric?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
It only advances the fabric and doesn't make stitches at all.

And as for the bobbin, on the T&S machine, the bobbins are larger on one side (top side). On this model, I can't leave the door open. The "notch" the bobbin thread runs through is on the door itself, not the bobbin.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so drop in bobbin? I will still suggest trying winding it the other way.

As for "Doesn't make stitches" is the needle still going up and down? Or literally the fabric just moving? If the needle is moving, I'd say problem 2 is directly related to problem 1.

You saw the machine fully operational at the sellers' house? (They are finicky beasts, but most are hard to kill.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect you're putting the bobbin in the wrong way round.

Have you tried looking online for threading diagrams, or for YouTube help?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Unfortunately, we (my mom and I) weren't able to get the machine running again. :( So we bought another vintage machine at Goodwill for $10 and I've been getting by with it.