Querying two different books, agent question

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to even type this because I am probably jinxing myself.

I'm currently querying two different books in two different genres. Agent 1 has book A, agent 2 has book B.

I'm having really positive conversations with agent 2 regarding book B. I didn't query agent 1 with book B or vice versa. If Agent 2 makes an offer on book B, do I talk about book A? How does that work? Do I tell Agent 1 about the offer (assuming it happens) on book B even though that's not the one they're considering?

I know this would be an awesome problem to have, just starting to freak out about everything.

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Does agent B rep the other genre at all? If they make an offer, I would definitely mention the other book and ask if they would like to see it, as well. Most authors only have one agent as far as I know. Otherwise it seems like you could end up competing with yourself.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
If they are completely different genres, the agents shouldn't care.

However, if these agents (or others) do end up representing you at the same time, I suggest you inform them that you're being represented by another agent in a different genre. For whatever reason. Not a big deal, but it's a heads up.

kenpochick

Registered
Reaction score
Agent 2 (who I am having great conversations with) does rep both genres. Agent 1 (who has the other book) does not.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Agent 2 (who I am having great conversations with) does rep both genres. Agent 1 (who has the other book) does not.

Yeah, it would be worth informing Agent 2 if Agent 1 offers rep. Since you're on good speaking terms, might also be worth telling them that you're querying another novel as well.

What genres are these books? Because if they are so close that an agent can rep both, I don't suggest querying both at the same time.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
First, congrats! That is awesome.

I had a similar issue earlier this year. I had the full for book 2 out with an agent when I got an offer for book 1. I DID contact the agent who had book 2 and she asked to see the other MS as well. So I would definitely tell the interested agent that you have another book out in queryland. Chances are, s/he will want to at least take a look at your other work, and you might end up with an offer (or 2)!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents tend to represent writers, not single books: and writers are better off with one agent taking care of their whole career, and not just one book, or one genre.

Be careful if an agent offers to represent you for just one book, and refuses to rep your other works. That could leave you in a very sticky position, unable to sell anything outside of a very narrow focus.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Agents tend to represent writers, not single books: and writers are better off with one agent taking care of their whole career, and not just one book, or one genre.

So true. When considering non-fiction, I ask the author if this is a one trick pony, what else they are working on, and if they are interested in other genres. I want to represent authors.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
So true. When considering non-fiction, I ask the author if this is a one trick pony, what else they are working on, and if they are interested in other genres. I want to represent authors.

Interesting. I write romance, horror, tragedies, thrillers ... Just about everything, really. I've been wondering how I'll ever find an agent who could represent me since what I do varies so much book to book.

object of my charm

Registered
Reaction score
Agents have their soft "genre" spots - query anyone you want with book 'A' or 'B' - until there's an offer of representation on the table… you're a free agent, baby

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I write romance, horror, tragedies, thrillers ... Just about everything, really. I've been wondering how I'll ever find an agent who could represent me since what I do varies so much book to book.

Tragedy isn't a genre per se. But to answer your question, if there's a genre I don't rep then I would it pass on to an agent at my agency who does rep it. However, that's just The Seymour Agency. I can't/won't speak to how other agencies work. I do know several writers who have an agent for one genre and an agent for another genre.

kenpochick

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the support! I've accepted representation from the second agent who has been super enthusiastic. I did tell her about the other book (and my other manuscript that isn't quite ready) and she did ask to see the one that was out in our talks prior to the offer. I'm pretty thrilled! :)

Last edited: