PDA

View Full Version : Agents, do you have a favorite query yet?

Quilliam
05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
The title says it all, I believe. But I will expand it a little.

1) Do you remember the best query you've read?

2) What did you utter to yourself when you felt you've struck gold?

3) Why did you like the query?

4) What was the story about? Is it a book that's already out there?

Thank you for your time.

Old Hack
05-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Quilliam, agents can't answer your question. It would be akin to announcing who their favourite client is, which could cause all sorts of problems.

There are lots of places you can read successful queries, and learn how some queries can be improved (QueryShark is the obvious one): you might find it useful to hunt them out.

Quilliam
05-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Understood, but I'm talking about the query, not about the client itself. A query, in my opinion, is like a first impression. What kind of relationship you build afterwards is a totally different thing.

cornflake
05-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Understood, but I'm talking about the query, not about the client itself. A query, in my opinion, is like a first impression. What kind of relationship you build afterwards is a totally different thing.

Your opinion aside, agents probably aren't going to publicly announce their favourite query, then wait for their other clients and random people to say things like, 'you liked THAT better than...' or 'if that was your favourite, how come it took so long to sell...' or sixteen other things.

Marian Perera
05-08-2015, 03:35 PM
There's this analysis of a query letter (http://www.jessieburton.co.uk/1/post/2013/08/dear-juliet.html) by the agent who sold the book, but I'd be very surprised if agents went any further than this.

Yes, it's a first impression, but I wouldn't want my supervisor to say, at a staff meeting, whose resume she found the most impressive. Even if she did have a favorite, telling us all what it is wouldn't be a good way to make us enjoy working with her.

whiporee
05-08-2015, 04:20 PM
I see what everyone's saying, and you're right about no agent is likely to answer but I thought it was a pretty good question. Would have been fun to see what the responses might have been.

Usher
05-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Juliet Mushens is fab! She liked my query, didn't ask for a full but was so supportive of me over a couple of emails that I have never completely lost heart in the process.

I'm willing to say that she wrote the nicest and most considered rejection I've had.

Old Hack
05-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I've chaired a couple of panel discussions at writers' conventions where Ms Mushens was on the panel.

She is wonderful. Thoughtful, funny, kind, and very knowledgeable. I am a big fan.