Self-defense move

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I've been doing some research on self-defense but I'm looking for a move that is quick, and when performed by a woman, can knock a big dude out for around twenty minutes...
Anyone know of one that could do that?
The female character is strong, lean and athletic. She's comfortable with self-defense and sparring. The male character is strong, tough, too, but the move is unexpected.
TIA!

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I would think any blow to the head would do it. Whether that be a kick, a knee, an elbow, or a punch. Or even the man hitting his head when being taken to the ground by a legsweep or a throw.

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
Personally, I suggest that you really need several girls for this scenario to be effective. Think of Bruce Lee surrounded by the Chinese gangsters. My wife says she would drop a printer on my head + a baseball bat.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
A rabbit punch to the back of the head, just above the joint with the neck, would put him out for a while.

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers, guys and lol. TBH, this woman is STRONG. I think there's a move where you lift the arm and do something to the armpit? I don't know if that's urban legend though...

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
I think, it's called the Japanese stranglehold. Goes to wiki ;)

Last edited:

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is or not TBH. Anyone know? Thanks

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think you can put a knife into a lung through the armpit. But you need the right length of blade.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it have to be unconsciousness? Because movie unconsciousness is rare. Usually, you'll be addled for a bit, or you'll be out for a lot longer, with potential for permanent damage. How realistic do you need to be? How dramatic? Is she well-trained? Confident? Or desperate? How even is the fight, training-wise? Be aware that if her opponent is anywhere near as well-trained, she's not going to be able to take him down with one move, unless she catches him totally by surprise.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Angry Guy is right about movie unconsciousness. Most of the moves that produce unconsciousness in the movies will only induce pain in the real world. That's why pieces of wood or iron pipe are good to have handy for situations like your character's situation.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Realistically, I think it would be difficult to knock someone out for twenty minutes unless you caused a serious injury. In real life, unconsciousness doesn't tend to work like it does in movies, where people get knocked out for a convenient amount of time and then come to and are more or less fine.

But if you only needed a few minutes, a chokehold could work. When I took Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the triangle choke was a popular move (here's a wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_choke). It can be effective if you're a smaller person fighting with a larger one because you use your legs, which are usually pretty powerful. It's also a good defensive move because you can often do it when an attacker has you on your back and is hovering over you. I think it can work fairly quickly, too, though since it's not instantaneous, there's a window where the attacker can defend against the move.

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input :)
Basically, she's REALLY well trained. Expert level. Her opponent isn't a bad guy but she needs to knock him out so she can tie him up. She doesn't want to hurt him, just stun him for the length of time she needs to prepare him.
She's semi-desperate. She has to contain him before he can contain her. But she isn't fighting for her life. The guy is strong, but it's aesthetics more than physical strength.

I wrote it so she crept up on him, and he thought she was in bed so he really didn't hear her coming, slammed the side of her hand into the side of his neck and it stunned him...then, grabbed his arm and basically did the choke hold thing.

I'd like it to be realistic, so if that isn't, then feel free to say what a load of crap. Haha. It's important that she's in control of the next thing that's going to happen.
Cheers :)

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Surprise was, without doubt, on her side, but she trains every day. It's a control issue for her. :)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The classic move would be Hadaka-Jime, or the rear-naked choke.

I know from experience that, properly applied, it can subdue your opponent in seconds, but they're only out for ten seconds or so.

If he's not too much taller than her, and if she's got zip-ties ready, he can be taken out that way.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
Any strike of sufficient power to the head can cause unconsciousness, but not for twenty minutes. That is a very long time to be out and probably indicates a very serious injury. Most strikes cause a K.O. not from sheer damage but through shock value: the head takes a hit and rebounds off the skull, causing shock to the brain, which "reboots" after the shock. Such a hit usually results in a very big headache and a disoriented fellow waking up anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes later, but not likely twenty minutes. The fellow also does not wake up fully functional and will suffer a variety of ill-affects for some time.

A particularly common strike known to cause instant K.O. is a punch to the side of the jaw. But the fellow will only be out for a minute or two at most, and more often only fifteen seconds.

The forehead is the most reinforced part of the skull, and thus the least likely target for a K.O. The temples on either side can be used, and the back of the skull is the weakest and therefore best target to injure someone.

Striking the ears can result in disabling a person instantly, though not usually from K.O. The inner ear handles balance. Striking both ears simultaneously will cause the person to drop like a rock and be disoriented for several minutes. It can cause intense nausea and vomiting as well. Striking just one ear is less effective but still powerful. Again, however, this will not last a full twenty minutes.

The chokes that work best in combat are not air chokes. A person can stay awake in an air choke for upwards of two minutes. A blood choke cuts off blood supply to the brain and causes unconsciousness within seconds. Blood chokes are something only trained combatants use, however. A person on the wrong side of a blood choke will wake up within a minute or so unless the choke is maintained after he falls unconscious. The amount of damage done then is dependent upon the duration of the choke, up to permanent brain damage or death.

If you just want the person disabled for a long time, shatter the knee. A kick targeting a straight knee will force the knee back. If the knee can't go back (you are bending it the wrong direction, after all), it will break. This is incredibly painful and that alone will immobilize most people, either through pain or the resultant shock. Hardier folks still won't be able to use the leg, and it will probably never heal fully. (This is one reason why fighters lower their stance and bend both knees.)

Hitting the side of the knee can also break it, whether the knee is straight or bent. It requires more training to do, particularly if the target is facing you head-on, but it is certainly possible. This type of break won't be as debilitating (usually a break, not a shatter) but is nearly as disabling.

I could give more ideas, but this is already kinda long, so...

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the consensus is a stunning blow to the head. Given that, if she's as tall as him, use a horizontal elbow strike. You have to get in close, but you said she was sneaking up on him.

Punches can be weakened by the wrist folding, and you generally can't get your full weight behind them because of the elbow absorbing some of the impact, but an elbow strike can deliver basically your full body weight, and you can deliver them with minimal windup. You want his brain rattled, that'll do it.

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
The only problem is, and apparently this isn't realistic lol, the heroic wants to tie him up to have sex with him. Yeah, I know it sounds weird :p So, I don't want to kill, maim etc, just stun him until she can tie him up. :/ poss or impossible, that is the Q.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
...how long does it take her to tie him up? Legitimate question, that. If she has no interference or complications, it shouldn't take more than a few moments, up to a minute or two. Assuming she came prepared with handcuffs, zip ties, and/or rope, anyway.

A blow to the head is plenty sufficient to knock a feller out long enough to get tied up. Such a blow will likely give him a mild concussion, with all associated issues (like a headache and disorientation), but shouldn't cause permanent damage.

If the twenty minutes was so she can move him, he doesn't have to be out for that. Tie him, gag him, and move him; he'll wake up in-transit, but you said she was strong, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you wanted him unconscious for the sex, you'll need to use drugs. Twenty minutes is simply too long a duration for physically-induced unconsciousness that doesn't have significant side effects and injuries.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
The bottom line, as you've been told, is that a blow to the head that knocks someone out but leaves no other lasting effects is not very realistic. At the very least, he's going to have a hell of a bruise and a splitting headache. More likely, a concussion and possibly a skull fracture. People don't get hit in the head so hard that they are knocked unconscious and then just get up again as soon as their health bar goes back to green.

Sleeper holds, blood chokes, etc., are all effective, but you have to be very highly trained, especially if your opponent is bigger and stronger than you. It's not a magic technique that a 100-pound woman can use on a 180-pound man after a few weeks of training. Remember that while she's putting a hold on him, he's going to be resisting and/or hitting her.

Of course, if your story is purely cinematic action, then you don't need to be that realistic. But if you're not writing comic book action scenes, there isn't really such a thing as a non-dangerous, non-risky "stunning technique."

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, if your story is purely cinematic action, then you don't need to be that realistic. But if you're not writing comic book action scenes, there isn't really such a thing as a non-dangerous, non-risky "stunning technique."
Chloroform doesn't even work.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Hate to lower the tone here, but a classic self-defence move that can knock a man out, or at least make him lose interest in pursuing his agenda, is grabbing twisting and pulling his testicles until he passes out.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Hate to lower the tone here, but a classic self-defence move that can knock a man out, or at least make him lose interest in pursuing his agenda, is grabbing twisting and pulling his testicles until he passes out.

Most guys are not going to stand there passively while you do that (and contrary to what you see in movies, it's not going to instantly reduce any man to curling up helplessly in a ball).

Also, men who have had any kind of self-defense training themselves are going to be on guard against it, since it's so obvious.