NYPD standard gun

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
What is the standard gun issued to cops by the NYPD? Anyone know, plz?
Also, what would be a really sleek little pistol/revolver? Something that would make the standard issue look really clunky?
ALL help super appreciated!
Thanks so much!

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Glock 19, SIG P226, Smith & Wesson 5946. The Glock 19, like all Glocks, is ugly as sin, the P226 and the 5946 are, IMO, much better-looking, although I wouldn't really describe them as "sleek." (Not little either.)

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much!
So, if I say the Glock 19 as the standard issue, that would be okay?
Do sleek guns even exist? Lol. See, I'm no expert :p The description just fit well when I was writing this scene and thought I'd better ask! :D

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there's a size choice as well within the allowed models - like a glock 17 or 19, Sig 229 or 226...

I believe there are still grandfathered in other duty weapons in use, but asroc has the choices you get now.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much!
Do sleek guns even exist? Lol. See, I'm no expert :p The description just fit well when I was writing this scene and thought I'd better ask! :D

I'd stop at that if I read it, because there isn't a single issue firearm. Some departments do that. The NYPD doesn't. Of course sleek guns exist, well, depending on your definition of sleek, I suppose. Also crappy guns exist - see the Glock? ;)

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
LOLLLL, yeah, I googled it. Very clunky.
Which departments, if you know of any, do standardize their firearms?
And re. the sleek, I know of Beretta...are they crappy? :p Basically, I'm saying the crap one the heroine gets from the police, the sleek one from a gang. Haha.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Well, no, because the NYPD doesn't issue the gun. They give their officers a choice of those three models, with a twelve-pound trigger pull, and then the officer has to buy it. Other models are probably not completely out of the question either.

There was a prototype of a smart gun once that I thought looked like an Apple product, but other than that I can't really think of any right now.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glock 19, SIG P226, Smith & Wesson 5946. The Glock 19, like all Glocks, is ugly as sin, the P226 and the 5946 are, IMO, much better-looking, although I wouldn't really describe them as "sleek." (Not little either.)

And, for what it's worth, the Glock is chosen by a high percentage of officers. The SIG gets modified to be a double action only, which makes some officers uncomfortable with it.

The "New York Trigger" is a standard option for Glock now, as well as the SIG and S&W that are purchased for use. Officers hate it, but they swear by it as well. Most experts don't think it really changes the dynamics enough one way or the other, but officers used to shoot themselves in the leg before the Glocks were modified. :)

Special units of NYPD can choose other firearms. What do you need for your story?

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which departments, if you know of any, do standardize their firearms?

Many departments that still issue firearms to officers are standardized on a particular model, often a Glock 17, 19 or 22 or a S&W semi-auto. Some on the SIG P226. It's based on who gets low bid on the contracts.

But many agencies no longer purchase the guns, the officers do, with guidance from the department. As long as they can qualify with the firearm, they get to carry it. And many officers still buy Glocks.

Jeff

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The New York Trigger is not an option. It's mandated for any NYPD duty gun. It's a 12-pound trigger pull instead of the usual 5.5 pound Glock pull, which might explain some of the NYPD's lousy marksmanship.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The New York Trigger is not an option. It's mandated for any NYPD duty gun. It's a 12-pound trigger pull instead of the usual 5.5 pound Glock pull, which might explain some of the NYPD's lousy marksmanship.

Mandated for NYPD, optional for many other buyers.

Police marksmanship has two issues. First is that many officers get little or no practice in shooting, other than annual or semi-annual qualifications. Second is that, when under fire, few people have very good marksmanship.

NYPD is on the average with most other agencies, including FBI and the US Marshals, for accuracy in firefights. Statistically, it's no worse than civilians shooting under similar circumstances. Unfortunately, in NYC, there are a lot of non-target people that can be hit.

There are quite a few debates about the effectiveness of the heavy trigger pull, both on accuracy under fire as well as whether or not is provides the safety mechanism it's designed to do, preventing negligent discharges. Even the NYPD firearms trainers have varied opinions.

But at least the top brass can say they did something. :)

Jeff