All I can do is laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection today that basically said "Don't quit your day job" and that "your book sucks but you have an terrific title, good luck with it!"

On one hand, the rejection stung a bit especially because some of the things he referenced made me think he either didn't read the first chapter submission but on the other hand, getting a personalized/custom rejection makes me feel like I have something good on my hands.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty hilarious and was thankful and grateful for the response. Onward and upward!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection today that basically said "Don't quit your day job" and that "your book sucks but you have an terrific title, good luck with it!"

Ahh, the joys of querying. Sorry this happened to you. :Hug2:
The only thing to do is tuck that one away in the horrible rejection file and carry on. It just makes you even more of an esteemed member of the writer's club.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, the joys of querying. Sorry this happened to you. :Hug2:
The only thing to do is tuck that one away in the horrible rejection file and carry on. It just makes you even more of an esteemed member of the writer's club.

A friend of mine said to print it out and frame it and I'm actually thinking about doing it! haha

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write lousy titles - if that helps. A publisher once told me that my title would be a deal-breaker if I didn't change it.

They really are that bad. :(

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

On one hand, the rejection stung a bit especially because some of the things he referenced made me think he either didn't read the first chapter submission but on the other hand, getting a personalized/custom rejection makes me feel like I have something good on my hands.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty hilarious and was thankful and grateful for the response. Onward and upward!

If it actually said that, trust me, there is no good side to such a rejection. Personalized rejections about your work sucking are as bad as it can possibly get. Editors and agents only write these when they really mean it, and really want to discourage you from ever submitting anything to them again.

This doesn't mean their judgment is right, Individual editors and agents can sometimes be completely wrong, but it does mean your book just received a serious insult, and there is no good side to it.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
If it actually said that, trust me, there is no good side to such a rejection. Personalized rejections about your work sucking are as bad as it can possibly get. Editors and agents only write these when they really mean it, and really want to discourage you from ever submitting anything to them again.

This doesn't mean their judgment is right, Individual editors and agents can sometimes be completely wrong, but it does mean your book just received a serious insult, and there is no good side to it.

I really do think it actually said that. I also do not take serious insult. I do believe that anything that prompts a response is close. I'm probably wrong. The direct quote is as follows:

[FONT=&quot]blah blah blah....submission advice (which runs opposite what is a generally accepted practice in the US but this is abroad and I should have looked into it better) blah blah blah......[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"...[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I can’t give you detailed feedback on the text itself, as I just don’t have time. G[/FONT]enerally, think of your job, your whole life, as material for writing. A depressingly small number of authors make any kind of living from writing itself. Get a job you enjoy first – that’s the most important thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You have a great title for the novel – good luck with it!"[/FONT]

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible the person was responding to some specific question you'd asked in your query?

ETA: Anyway, I've decided it was nothing to do with your writing. S/he says she doesn't have time to give you specific feedback, so what you're getting is Life Feedback. "Get a job you enjoy" is good life-feedback.

On the other hand, I'd be crossing this one off my list and possibly burning an effigy. But that's me.

Last edited:

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
"blah blah blah....submission advice (which runs opposite what is a generally accepted practice in the US but this is abroad and I should have looked into it better) blah blah blah......
"...I can’t give you detailed feedback on the text itself, as I just don’t have time. Generally, think of your job, your whole life, as material for writing. A depressingly small number of authors make any kind of living from writing itself. Get a job you enjoy first – that’s the most important thing."

That does sound like he/she is responding to a specific question you asked. It's a very odd thing to say in a standard query rejection...

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
"blah blah blah....submission advice (which runs opposite what is a generally accepted practice in the US but this is abroad and I should have looked into it better) blah blah blah......
"...I can’t give you detailed feedback on the text itself, as I just don’t have time. Generally, think of your job, your whole life, as material for writing. A depressingly small number of authors make any kind of living from writing itself. Get a job you enjoy first – that’s the most important thing."

That does sound like he/she is responding to a specific question you asked. It's a very odd thing to say in a standard query rejection...

It does sound like that, but it was a query letter. I didn't ask a question in my query letter...

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I went and reread the query I sent and possibly she is responding to the very end. I signed off with,

"In accordance with your submission guidelines, I am submitting this unaccompanied letter as the first step and would be pleased to provide the manuscript, in part or full, upon request.

Thanks for your time and consideration and any feedback- good, bad or indifferent- on any aspect of my query/synopsis/writing is priceless in value."

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, well that is strange.

I'd chalk that up to a peculiar agent and not an indictment against your writing

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I went and reread the query I sent and possibly she is responding to the very end. I signed off with,

"In accordance with your submission guidelines, I am submitting this unaccompanied letter as the first step and would be pleased to provide the manuscript, in part or full, upon request.

Thanks for your time and consideration and any feedback- good, bad or indifferent- on any aspect of my query/synopsis/writing is priceless in value."

Well, there you go.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really do think it actually said that. I also do not take serious insult. I do believe that anything that prompts a response is close. I'm probably wrong. The direct quote is as follows:

[FONT=&quot]blah blah blah....submission advice (which runs opposite what is a generally accepted practice in the US but this is abroad and I should have looked into it better) blah blah blah......[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"...[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I can’t give you detailed feedback on the text itself, as I just don’t have time. G[/FONT]enerally, think of your job, your whole life, as material for writing. A depressingly small number of authors make any kind of living from writing itself. Get a job you enjoy first – that’s the most important thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You have a great title for the novel – good luck with it!"[/FONT]

Ah. I think you've perhaps over-stepped by asking for "any feedback". You got feedback -

1. I don't have time to give feedback

2. Remember that being a writer is not just about feedback.

That's how I read it. Take it on board (or not) and move on. I don't think it's meant as "Don't give up your day job." I think it's more along the lines of "Write, or don't write. It's up to you."

RandyPendleton

Registered
Reaction score
I see you have under 50 posts. Once you get there, you ought to post your 1st chapter in the SYW section. It could be many things, asmentioned above. I'd really like to read a chapter. This is intriguing.

Did you format it properly? Maybe the agent looked at your manuscript and immediately trashed it.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
In another entry to "All you can do is laugh" I got a pretty fabulous rejection (as far as feedback goes) from an editor at a top tier literary journal recently and something that tickled me was that I was inadvertently characterized as a "sexist" with a "despicable personality" by virtue of my "narrator" in this submission of short "fiction". cough cough.

<quoted email redacted>

While I know for a fact my writing did leave a lot to be desired and the submission was an ambitious one (top tier literary review), I think this feedback was a healthy reminder that even polished, sometimes content and style just isn't a "fit"and that your audience (and gate keeper) is human and might have sensitivity meters that are calibrated completely different than yours.

Good learning experience here!

Last edited by a moderator:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to post the verbatim feedback, given to me? I'm sorry, I legitimately had zero idea. Is it an issue of quoting the feedback directly? Should I have paraphrased?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

It's possible it's a form rejection he/she give most everyone, thinking they're being clever. I got one a while ago that made me feel awful, but another person in this same thread got one with the exact same wording from that agent re a SFFpit request. It was essentially one of those deceptive forms worded to sound like it had personal advice.

Honestly, if they're not going to give individualized feedback (and I understand why most don't want to), then I'd prefer they stick with the standard dear author, "Not what I'm looking for but good luck!" formats, rather than trying to fool us into thinking they're being more personalized.

Last edited:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
It was definitely personalized feedback as it touched on story and specific plot and character points. I'm very confused with why I can post #6 and not #15

BWretched

Banned
Reaction score

I'm pretty intrigued to know what was literally said now. I can see the tragic humor in such a response, but I just can't believe it!

Oh saw that you posted it and that it kind of had a reason to be responded to that way. It's still so strange and kin of had a whiff of "give it up kid"

Last edited:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty intrigued to know what was literally said now. I can see the tragic humor in such a response, but I just can't believe it!

Oh saw that you posted it and that it kind of had a reason to be responded to that way. It's still so strange and kin of had a whiff of "give it up kid"

Between that and being called a despicable personality and sexist, it's a wonder I've ever been published

BWretched

Banned
Reaction score
Between that and being called a despicable personality and sexist, it's a wonder I've ever been published

It's a good thing you don't let anything get to you! A lot of people wouldn't touch a keyboard again after those kinds of responses. We all have to learn to be more like you!

becphish

Registered
Reaction score
Not to be heartless, but I sort of like the rejection you described. Whenever I get a rejection--as opposed to a total ignore--I'm thrilled. At least someone is reading something I've sent. And if they take the time to be snarky, then whatever I did must have affected them in some way. Maybe you hit some bizarre writing nerve.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
Not to be heartless, but I sort of like the rejection you described. Whenever I get a rejection--as opposed to a total ignore--I'm thrilled. At least someone is reading something I've sent. And if they take the time to be snarky, then whatever I did must have affected them in some way. Maybe you hit some bizarre writing nerve.

I definitely agree. I got a rejection yesterday that hurt-- like, weighed heavy in my heart, hurt-- and it was polite and personal but much more devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.