PDA

View Full Version : Rifle fire in a bedroom.

Tinman
05-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Hi, everyone.

I'm editing a scene where a character fires a deer rifle inside a bedroom. The bedroom door is open and the window has been completely smashed out. The rifle will be fired three times at a subject who has escaped out the window. The rifle barrel will be completely inside. I'm uncertain about the effects of this on people; I know it would be loud, but would they go temporarily deaf? Would there been gun smoke in the room? If so, about how long would it linger in the air?

Thanks for any help!!!:)

atombaby
05-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Depends on the rifle and its ammunition, but there would definitely be the smell of lead in the air with a puff of smoke with each discharge, but not a heck of a lot. Again, depending on the type of ammunition (the larger the bullet, the louder it is), one would definitely have some ringing ears after those three shots are fired. An open door and smashed-out window won't help much to disperse the sound.

ps. A .22 rifle would be much easier on the ears and nose, but I don't think people hunt deer with a .22...? I know my way around firearms, but I'm not very helpful in the hunting department, sorry. But all the best!

badwolf.usmc
05-01-2015, 08:41 AM
The enclosed space would make it seem louder than normal, a deer rifle, for the most part, is going to at least ring your ears. There wouldn't be able too much smoke from 3 rounds being fired, but it would kick up any dust and dirt in the room.

Trebor1415
05-01-2015, 12:03 PM
What caliber rifle? Not that it matters that much. Any rifle suitable for deer is going to be a centerfire cartridge and is going to be loud in an enclosed space with no hearing protection. In fact, it's likely to be loud enough that the noise and blast could even keep them from firing again after firing that first shot.

Their ears will likely ring and they also likely will suffer some permament hearing loss.

Andreas_Montoya
05-01-2015, 02:47 PM
If a person own a deer rifle, that indicates that they hunt and therefore, know something about firearms. No hunter would use a deer rifle for home protection as the bullet will penetrate walls and possibly kill a neighbor or one of their own family. They would use a shotgun or a handgun with bullets that won't penetrate much, like a Winchester Silvertip.

Any gun will be louder inside than outside, but you can sure fire off several shots when your life is in danger, the noise won't matter. Smokeless powders used these days make smoke not a problem.

The smell of cordite would fill the room.

Tinman
05-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Depends on the rifle and its ammunition, but there would definitely be the smell of lead in the air with a puff of smoke with each discharge, but not a heck of a lot. Again, depending on the type of ammunition (the larger the bullet, the louder it is), one would definitely have some ringing ears after those three shots are fired. An open door and smashed-out window won't help much to disperse the sound.

Thanks for the help, Atombaby.

Tinman
05-01-2015, 08:17 PM
The enclosed space would make it seem louder than normal, a deer rifle, for the most part, is going to at least ring your ears. There wouldn't be able too much smoke from 3 rounds being fired, but it would kick up any dust and dirt in the room.

Thanks, Badwolf. I hadn't thought about dust being kicked up.

Tinman
05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
What caliber rifle? Not that it matters that much. Any rifle suitable for deer is going to be a centerfire cartridge and is going to be loud in an enclosed space with no hearing protection. In fact, it's likely to be loud enough that the noise and blast could even keep them from firing again after firing that first shot.

Their ears will likely ring and they also likely will suffer some permament hearing loss.

Thanks, Trebor. So, even with a semi-auto, you think the character might not be able to fire more than once? Thanks, again.

Tinman
05-01-2015, 08:28 PM
If a person own a deer rifle, that indicates that they hunt and therefore, know something about firearms. No hunter would use a deer rifle for home protection as the bullet will penetrate walls and possibly kill a neighbor or one of their own family. They would use a shotgun or a handgun with bullets that won't penetrate much, like a Winchester Silvertip.

Any gun will be louder inside than outside, but you can sure fire off several shots when your life is in danger, the noise won't matter. Smokeless powders used these days make smoke not a problem.

Thanks, Andreas. The character isn't a hunter and the gun was loaned to him (no need to explain why, other than it's a horror novel, lol.)

Thanks for your opinion on firing off several rounds. It's a semi-automatic, so I think he could probably fire several shots, too, but who knows, lol.

Thanks, too, for the comment on smokeless powders.

I've never fired a rifle in a house, so I was at a loss. Sometimes this site is a lifesaver. Thanks, again.

ironmikezero
05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
As everyone said, it'll be loud... but I'll disagree on one point; it doesn't always inhibit (the shooter's) action. In an adrenalin-fueled moment, the sound registers but the mind shunts it aside momentarily - especially if the shooter has had any sort of CQB training - and one can continue to effectively function. After the event, there will be a phase of diminished hearing (apparent tinnitus, etc.) but that will seem to pass, notwithstanding any cumulative hearing damage. The actual event may only take mere seconds, but it will seem (to varying degrees depending upon the individual) to have taken much longer.

SamjBowden
05-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Firing a firearm in an enclosed space will be extremely loud. You are required to wear ear protection at almost every indoor range I have been to. If you fire a deer rifle, which would probably be a .308 or 30-06 rifle, then you are in for a very loud surprise.

However, someone did mention that a handgun or shotgun would be better for home defense. A Colt 1911 (.45 ACP) would be a nice choice for a handgun, or a Remmington 870 12 Gauge would be a nice choice for a shotgun. Both would sound like cannons in doors, as I have fired all of these weapons in bedroom sized areas before. Open doors and windows would only dissipate the sound slightly.

On a side note, it is very illegal to shoot someone running away from you. So I would suggest you say he is coming through the window, rather than running away. Maybe though, if you don't want to change it, you could say he turned around and fired shots after running. Then it would be legal.

Trebor1415
05-01-2015, 11:18 PM
As everyone said, it'll be loud... but I'll disagree on one point; it doesn't always inhibit (the shooter's) action. In an adrenalin-fueled moment, the sound registers but the mind shunts it aside momentarily - especially if the shooter has had any sort of CQB training - and one can continue to effectively function. After the event, there will be a phase of diminished hearing (apparent tinnitus, etc.) but that will seem to pass, notwithstanding any cumulative hearing damage. The actual event may only take mere seconds, but it will seem (to varying degrees depending upon the individual) to have taken much longer.

Good point. I totally forgot about auditory exclusion in my response.

Yeah, if you want him to fire multiple shots, it's legit. He'll just suffer the effects later.

CWatts
05-02-2015, 12:16 AM
On a side note, it is very illegal to shoot someone running away from you. So I would suggest you say he is coming through the window, rather than running away. Maybe though, if you don't want to change it, you could say he turned around and fired shots after running. Then it would be legal.

This. A few years ago a local college student was the working night shift at a convenience store that was robbed. He pulled the gun under the counter to defend himself (legit), then when the robber fled the store, he chased him into the street and shot him in the back. IIRC he was charged and convicted of manslaughter.

Dave Williams
05-03-2015, 09:45 PM

Small arms ammunition hasn't been loaded with Cordite since Churchill was Prime Minister, and it was mostly a British thing even then. It's all collectible stuff now.

Modern smokeless powders either don't have much odor at all, or smell like scorched plastic.

Firing a rifle indoors without ear protection is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss. Some people claim there's no problem firing pistols indoors, but they're the ones who, when you ask "What time is it?" they answer "It's a Timex!"

cmhbob
05-03-2015, 10:17 PM
More on cordite: http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/cordite-putting-this-puppy-in-the-graveagain/

Taejang
05-04-2015, 10:17 PM

This. A few years ago a local college student was the working night shift at a convenience store that was robbed. He pulled the gun under the counter to defend himself (legit), then when the robber fled the store, he chased him into the street and shot him in the back. IIRC he was charged and convicted of manslaughter.
The legality of this is highly dependent on jurisdiction and circumstances. If the runner is abducting someone, for example, the shooter would probably have justification for firing in the eyes of the court (the wisdom in firing may be another matter). Likewise, if there are two buildings on the property and the shooter argues they thought the runner was heading to the second building to attack someone, they may well be fine in the court's eyes. Different states in the US, not to mention different countries, have different laws about it as well.

All of which is probably moot. The legality of a thing may not stop the shooter from firing in the first place, particularly if he/she is borrowing a gun from someone else and may not be familiar with such laws.

Tinman
05-05-2015, 03:58 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their post. I gave Rep Points to everyone. Thanks!!