Advice for Flower Vases?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
My sister came over this morning with a bouquet of flowers because there was no vase at their house. I want to buy them a vase, but I'm not sure what it should be made of. She's living with my divorced sister to help her with her kids, and my nephew's very rambunctious. None of the kids have broken a vase over here, but I'm still not sure if a glass or ceramic vase would be a good idea.

Would you recommend metal, plastic, or something else?

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My sister came over this morning with a bouquet of flowers because there was no vase at their house. I want to buy them a vase, but I'm not sure what it should be made of. She's living with my divorced sister to help her with her kids, and my nephew's very rambunctious. None of the kids have broken a vase over here, but I'm still not sure if a glass or ceramic vase would be a good idea.

Would you recommend metal, plastic, or something else?

Thanks!

Breakability would depend on things like the flooring and the height from which it'd fall, mostly.

I can't imagine a kid so rambunctious there's nothing breakable in the house, unless we're talking about a really affected special needs kid, and even then most kids learn stuff is breakable.

Stuff still might break on purpose or by accident, but such is the case anyplace.

You could do metal, if she likes that sort of thing. It's much less likely to break (though can dent) and there are lots of stainless vases about for not too much nowadays.

If you want glass or ceramic, I'd say go with what she'd prefer. The heavier the better, in terms of durability. A thin vase is going to shatter much more easily than a very heavy one. If the floor is carpet or wood, both have a decent shot. I'd give ceramic the edge I guess, with two thick, heavy items, but if there are tile floors and she'd put it high, no matter.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, vases are always in abundant supply at my area's thrift stores. Nice vases, basic glass, in various shapes, most $4 or less. You break one of those and it's not at all a big deal. One of the common shapes is a wide bottom and a narrower neck, which is pretty stable compared to other shapes.

I also have two fold-flat plastic vases our daughter bought online. I love that they're truly watertight and look just fine in use, and when I'm not using them, they take up almost no space. A fast glance at Amazon shows a variety for $10 or less.

I also use my mom's and MIL's silver pitchers as vases. One has a slight dent, but it hardly matters.

You can find a good selection of vases at Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, and other chain stores, too.

Maryn, thinking it's a nice gift

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! This really helps.

cornflake said:
Breakability would depend on things like the flooring and the height from which it'd fall, mostly.
If it's an FTD-sized bouquet, she'd most likely set the vase on the dinner table, and the floor is tile. If it's just a few flowers, she might set it in the carpeted area of the house, though she still likely set it on the dinner table.

Maryn said:
FWIW, vases are always in abundant supply at my area's thrift stores. Nice vases, basic glass, in various shapes, most $4 or less. You break one of those and it's not at all a big deal.
So true, though most of my issues with glass especially is the possibility of injury, both from the initial fall and the bits you miss during cleanup. It's not fun stepping on a glass shard you thought you had swept up, and my nephew loves rolling on the floor. :(

I also have two fold-flat plastic vases our daughter bought online. I love that they're truly watertight and look just fine in use, and when I'm not using them, they take up almost no space. A fast glance at Amazon shows a variety for $10 or less.
I saw those online. Are they sturdy as well as watertight? Sis is a bit short on space in her house. She's also arthritic, so a lightish weight vase would be a plus.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the case, you might want something that'd do double duty like a pitcher or a pitcher set.

A nice, light, stainless pitcher with a big handle makes a really pretty, country-style vase, is hard to bust, looks nice in the middle of a table, cleans well and is easier to carry (with the handle), than a straight vase.

Stainless pitcher with decorative gold-coloured vine handle.

As it's going into summer, I've seen a bunch of sets of nice plastic pitcher/tumbler sets for sale. I got one last summer. They come in different styles, colours, really light, like four tumblers and the pitcher were $15 I think?

Something like this stuff - mine were a box set from Homegoods or TJ Maxx; I saw the same stuff there again recently, different styles.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. I'm sort-kinda in the market for new dishes--we're down to four plates of the original eight--and the other day at a store I picked up a plate I liked, only to be surprised it was plastic.

Lots of good suggestions here which will be safe.

I've had my fold-up vases for a couple years now. I probably only use them two or three times a year. They seem sturdy enough, although a kid roughhousing could knock it over, like any vase.

I like the idea of a metal pitcher or a plastic-looks-like-china vase.

Maryn, hoping you'll share a photo of whatever you get

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up buying Sis a set of 5 folding vases as a graduation gift (she received her master's degree Friday). That way she can have some for home and some for school. She thought the same thing, so she was very glad to get them. :greenie

Maybe I'll get her a fancier vase for Christmas...