What is the oldest thing in your room?

Ally Atherton

Registered
Reaction score
Look around the room that you are sitting in right now. What is the oldest thing in the room and the most unusual thing? If you are the oldest thing in your room you are fossil like me!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look around the room that you are sitting in right now. What is the oldest thing in the room and the most unusual thing? If you are the oldest thing in your room you are fossil like me!

Lovely! The oldest thing in this room is an Etruscan cup. (Except for a fossil we got in the Dordogne that's 150,000 years old or something. Or my husband.)

ETA: The most unusual thing is definitely my husband.

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Possibly a 1960s bright orange lamp I got off ebay. My husband hates it but I think it's fab. I accidentally had it sent to his work by mistake and apparently his entire office thought it was ugly.

There's a Chinese embroidery and some brass bedside lamps that I got from charity shops that could be older. Or a brown and orange dress I got second hand. There's a lot of things in my house I'm not sure of the vintage of. Oh and a picture of my gran it's going to be about 1927 as I think she was about 20 in it. The one of my grandfather might be 1920 as he only looks about 16 but maybe he just had youthful looks.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Varies by room. My office? The oldest is probably my teddy bear, being more or less my age. I've got some trilobite fossils in the living room that are at least 300 milion years old. The most unusual things I own are probably a Makonde shetani figurine and a 1:12 resin Deinonychus.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oldest? Me and/or my birth certificate. Most unusual? I don't really have anything unusual in this room, actually...

Maybe a skull-shaped, very small bottle of vodka? Odd because of the shape and because, well, I don't actually drink.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Actually actually, there's this giant old bulldog clip that I've had forever. My mum probably handed it down to me from her school days. It's probably ancient.

Ally Atherton

Registered
Reaction score
In this room I have a box of old photographs which contains a few old family bits and pieces like a bible and other stuff. Apart from that, I am the oldest thing in the room :)

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I have a baby quilt that my mom made for me while she was pregnant. It's almost 27 years old.

Ally Atherton

Registered
Reaction score
Most unusual thing in my room could well be me again or my Dalek pen!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oldest thing is perhaps a Bushells Tea Tin from the 1930s, the one with embossed pics of a kangaroo, koala, emu and kookaburra on its four sides.
Weirdest thing is possibly a black and yellow (go Tiges) woollen octopus.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oldest thing is perhaps a Bushells Tea Tin from the 1930s, the one with embossed pics of a kangaroo, koala, emu and kookaburra on its four sides.
Weirdest thing is possibly a black and yellow (go Tiges) woollen octopus.

I have that tin!! OMG! I HAVE THAT TIN!!

But not in this room.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of Greek coins on the dresser, somewhere around 2300 years old.

I have a Roman button that I found in a vineyard in France. (An old Roman button. Not like a button from Rome...) And some 17th c shekels from a mellah in Morocco that you'd probably love.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I have that tin!! OMG! I HAVE THAT TIN!!

But not in this room.

:D I love that tin.

In another room I have a Besters Sweets tin with skunks and red roses on it. I kept my pencils in it as a kid. I love that tin. I love old tins.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D I love that tin.

In another room I have a Besters Sweets tin with skunks and red roses on it. I kept my pencils in it as a kid. I love that tin. I love old tins.

I don't have that. I would love that tin. I'm a tin-freak, too. Tins are great.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the oldest thing in my room, but the most unusual is my Very Large Housecat, Ed, who clocks in at over 20 lbs, mostly muscle, and is the sweetest ginger kitty I know.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
A Mission style oak desk that once belonged to my great grandmother's father. It was refinished back in the 1970s so I doubt it is worth much monetarily but I used to play solitaire on it with my great grandmother so wanted it. I keep bills and important papers in it but am writing on a much newer desk.

No, wait--there is a photo of my great-great grandfather when he was seven years old--really a group of people--adults, nuns, priest, kids-- strung out in front of a small village in Moravia. Someone passing through the village had a camera so everyone came out to have his picture taken. The photographer developed the photo on the spot. The print came to us wrapped in newspaper--very fragile. My grandmother found it in an old trunk packed with dishes. She also found family photos taken in front of the dugout that her grandparents homesteaded. They were in pretty bad shape--broken and discolored. We had the pictures restored a couple of years ago. --s6

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't have that. I would love that tin. I'm a tin-freak, too. Tins are great.

I have a couple of old Droste Cocoa tins, and one for raisins, one for automobile headlamp bulbs (with bulbs still intact!), and one for talcum powder, all of them from the 1920s or earlier.

I love old tins too.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If Mr. Maryn hadn't insisted on a recent cleaning frenzy, I'd have fared better in this L-shaped living and dining room. As it is, the oldest things in it are some 1940s science fiction novels and pre-war crystal we hardly ever use because it's so delicate. (I broke the blue one, sigh.) Not very old, but older than I am, at least.

Maryn, thinking there's still too much clutter