Noir

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this anime series?

Produced by Bee Train animation studio, the series aired in Japan in 2001. It was licensed, dubbed, and released by ADV Films in North America in 2003 (I collected all 7 volumes as they came out). It is now licensed by Funimation Entertainment, and it was released on Blu-ray on April 14. I thought it might be nice to discuss it.

The series is about an assassin, a young French-based Corsican woman named Mireille Bouquet, that goes into business with a (supposedly) Japanese teen schoolgirl named Kirika Yuumura, an amnesiac that's as deadly with a gun as Mireille, in order for the two of them to learn more about their respective, hidden pasts. Using the word that Kirika mysteriously spoke upon their meeting, they call themselves Noir, which is apparently a legendary assassin name in the underworld (though long in disuse), leading to no shortage of confusion among the girls' targets. :D

Most episodes of the 26-episode series are stand-alone, hit-of-the-week type of plots, though there's an over-arching grand plan in place by a secret organization.

Of note is the incredible music by the talented composer Yuki Kajiura. There's an Italian song called "Canta Per Me", apparently Kirika's theme (although I'd never considered any of the songs in the series to "belong" to a particular character). There are also plenty of gorgeous instrumental pieces. The stand-out track, though, is "Salva Nos" (nominally Mireille's theme), a series of female-chanted Church Latin phrases set to pulsing Techno music - with some saxophone, piano, and violin added in for good measure. It's freakin' brilliant (although the electric guitar solo at the end is woefully out of place):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDs_PZaSkFo

This is the girls' "killing theme". When you hear it, you know a lot of people are about to die.

The one negative thing that I have to say is, as lovely as the music is and as beautifully that it complements the gorgeous animation, it make heavy re-use of certain pieces, especially early on.

This series isn't bloody, and it's not all-out action. There are a lot of quiet, contemplative moments. Heck, there's a scene in episode 02 where the girls are preparing dinner and eating it.

There's perhaps a bit too much use of flashbacks (gotta work within the budget, I guess), but it's not too bad.

Anyway, discuss! :)

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My late ex-BF was a fan of this series (and the soundtrack). I never really got into it alas. Did like the music though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The one negative thing that I have to say is, as lovely as the music is and as beautifully that it complements the gorgeous animation, it make heavy re-use of certain pieces, especially early on.

That was most certainly annoying, but the show was training you to associate the pieces with certain moods. Later, they'll then use arrangements of the themes to show changes. This works hand-in-hand with the way the visuals are often static, and the animation direction focussing on minimal movement (body language). Basically, later in the story the music carries a lot of the subtext, which works because you've been trained early on. (They overdo it, but it does work.)

A good example is episode 18, during a key scene when they play a version of "Salva nos" that starts out quietly ominous, moves into fragmented confusion (sound-directionally in the background) and eventually settles into a throb (foregrounded, now, and set to repetitive imagery).

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I do have the dvds.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I'm confused over the chronology at the beginning of episode 02.

We see a guy and his family die in an explosion, and then the girls are out shopping, and then the girls are back in their apartment and get a job offer (seemingly the same guy that was killed, I think), and then the girls are at a cafe where Kirika sees the news report on the guy's death, and then they go home and have dinner.

Did the girls kill the guy and his family with that house bomb?

Was the job offer a flashback or a present-time thing that came too late?

Also, is there any meaning to the visuals in the closing credits sequence? Someone (Kirika, seemingly) is naked in an apartment or beach house or something (one of Mirielle's boots can be seen hanging on a chair, I think), and then she goes outside and walks around naked on a beach. What is up with that?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused over the chronology at the beginning of episode 02.

We see a guy and his family die in an explosion, and then the girls are out shopping, and then the girls are back in their apartment and get a job offer (seemingly the same guy that was killed, I think), and then the girls are at a cafe where Kirika sees the news report on the guy's death, and then they go home and have dinner.

Did the girls kill the guy and his family with that house bomb?

Was the job offer a flashback or a present-time thing that came too late?

As I said, it's been a while since I watched the show, so my memory mightn't be accruate. But as I recall they were hired to take out the bomber. ("Noir" is a sort of boogeyman of the underworld who kills killers, so they tend to get that sort of job.)

Also, is there any meaning to the visuals in the closing credits sequence? Someone (Kirika, seemingly) is naked in an apartment or beach house or something (one of Mirielle's boots can be seen hanging on a chair, I think), and then she goes outside and walks around naked on a beach. What is up with that?
No plot relevance as far as I can tell. I always saw it as a fantasy of what could have been.