Adam Sandler Makes a "Satire" and Shockingly Fucks Up

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Approximately a dozen Native actors and actresses, as well as the Native cultural advisor, left the set of Adam Sandler’s newest film production, The Ridiculous Six, on Wednesday. The actors, who were primarily from the Navajo nation, left the set after the satirical western’s script repeatedly insulted native women and elders and grossly misrepresented Apache culture. EXCLUSIVE: Read a Page From the Adam Sandler Script That Caused Native Actors to Quit
The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ndler-movie-after-insults-women-elders-160110

If somebody already posted a thread on this, my bad. I didn't see one, though.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it belongs here too. The thread. Not Adam Sandler's racism. Just to be clear.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I live in Santa Fe and my wife's in the movie biz here where they're doing some of the filming. She's not part of the crew but has close friends who are. This flap is seen as a very big deal in the movie community in New Mexico. He apparently was going for a Blazing Saddles kind of thing and missed badly, probably because he's not Mel Brooks.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Native American characters named "Smoking Fox," "Beaver Breath," and "No Bra," jokes about sticking peepees in teepees, a woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe...

I would love to see him defending jokes like that if they were directed at, say, blacks or Jews.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never laughed at Adam Sandler in my life and this confirms the correctness of that position.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Once or twice, when I was younger and less mature. In the past ten years, mostly I just weep silently...

The last one I saw Sandler doing a somewhat okay job was Chuck & Larry. And that was an anomaly amongst all the movies he made after Happy Gilmore. Sandler's successful films have largely relied on the comedic efforts of the other actors though.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I live in Santa Fe and my wife's in the movie biz here where they're doing some of the filming. She's not part of the crew but has close friends who are. This flap is seen as a very big deal in the movie community in New Mexico. He apparently was going for a Blazing Saddles kind of thing and missed badly, probably because he's not Mel Brooks.

Mel Brooks' portrayal of the Native Americans and blacks in "Blazing Saddles" was fairly sympathetic in a ridiculous context.

His fiercest satire was aimed at the privileged white folks in that film.

There is a huge difference between satirizing the rich and powerful and satirizing the weak and downtrodden.

Plus, none of Sandler's jokes are funny.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm REALLY looking forward to when this movie comes out...

...so I can watch internet comedians pick it to pieces for my entertainment.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Mel Brooks' portrayal of the Native Americans and blacks in "Blazing Saddles" was fairly sympathetic in a ridiculous context.

His fiercest satire was aimed at the privileged white folks in that film.

There is a huge difference between satirizing the rich and powerful and satirizing the weak and downtrodden.

Plus, none of Sandler's jokes are funny.

I agree with all of this.

Mel is good goofy fun. Sandler, IMO, is unbearable and unfunny.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
People still seem to have trouble understanding that being a spoof on one thing doesn't excuse you from being an asshole on other things.

Perhaps if he hadn't chosen a "satire" based on sexualization, he might be getting less flack. If, say, he had "spoofed" the "noble savage" or "magical Indian" portrayals in Westerns, people might have been very on board with that. Instead he chose sex and potty humor.

The comments on that link are both enlightening and depressing.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really, really, really, in a way, wish Rotten Tomatoes still had their forums.

I guess they're still around, just buried (sometimes for good reason).

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You'd also think someone would have taken a lesson from the recent implosion of The Lone Ranger as a cautionary tale against the "hollywood indian" story.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Netflix adamant defense of the movie is just as offensive.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

You know, I've read this piece a couple of times now, because it bothers me. Haggis is right about the "going downhill" comment. That's a good line and fairly accurate. And the graph--critical reception v. box office--is interesting. 'Course, I think that graph would be just as interesting for lots of other actors/producers/directors, but that's neither here nor there.

And to be clear, this latest effort by Sandler looks beyond stupid, completely unfunny, and obnoxious. And none of that in a good way.

Still, the FiveThirtyEight piece, well it's kinda obnoxious too. And it's not very well grounded in facts. Meh, maybe I'm expecting too much.

For the record, I like Happy Gilmore, Grownups (only the first), and Bedtime Stories (because my kids like it). And that's about it. Hotel Transylvania is not--imo--an Adam Sandler movie. Nor is Punch Drunk Love. The rest of his comedy stuff fails, imo. Because it's not funny. That's really all there is, at the end of the day.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen much Sandler stuff, because I generally find him obnoxious. My wife has a copy of 50 First Dates, though, and it's a fairly decent rom-com.

Looking at that chart at 538, I had no idea he was in that many movies.