Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it does!

Why can't healthy, low-fat products TASTE GOOD????

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a cat that loved creme cheese.
He wouldn't touch low fat; after that, neither would I.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Do you always eat his food after he touches it?

No. We eat from the same plate. I hate doing dishes.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
You'll get used to it. I did and I actually can't stand whole milk anymore, except in tea.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
...the reason for that being that evolution (or God if you prefer) designed us for an environment where fat was a scarse commodity so we had to be highly motivated to go out and find it.

...On that basis I declare Krispy cremes to be either an attack on our natural lifestyle, or sacriligious ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Azura Skye said:
You'll get used to it. I did and I actually can't stand whole milk anymore, except in tea.

Oh no, I won't get used to it!!!

I've always had my coffee in the morning with sugar and cream. Oh does that taste GOOD!!! Actually makes it worth waking up in the morning.

I used to know this guy when I worked in a hospital who thought all of us girls in the business office were nuts for drinking our coffee with everything in it.

He used to say, "How can you even TASTE the coffee itself with all that other stuff in it?"

Okay then. I'll have my coffee like this: sugar and cream. Hold the coffee!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
veinglory said:
...On that basis I declare Krispy cremes to be either an attack on our natural lifestyle, or sacriligious ;)

Really? I think they are an essential and basic part of the food pyramid.

rhymegirl said:
I used to know this guy when I worked in a hospital who thought all of us girls in the business office were nuts for drinking our coffee with everything in it.

He used to say, "How can you even TASTE the coffee itself with all that other stuff in it?"

I'd say that was me except I've never worked in a hospital. ;)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Shadow's right - from a cooking point of view, the fat is the flavor. That's why extra lean beef has to be seasoned more to make it palatable. It doesn't have any flavor of its own. Same goes for leaner variteties of fish (the reason deep water fish like swordfish usually stands on its own better than freshwater fish like trout).

I'm generally okay with low fat compromises except for one thing - mayonnaise. I have yet to try a lower fat mayo that didn't taste like rancid yak butter.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember they had a low-fat chocolate yogurt that was delicious but I often wondered if it was r-e-a-l-l-y low-fat. Sure ate lots of those yogurts, and why I don't know, but I didn't lose any weight. lol.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Health food sucks sometimes. I love soup, but today at lunch I had a choice of either shrimp/sausage gumbo (mmmmm) or mushroom/veggie soup, so silly me, I opted for the healthy choice. Bad mistake. The soup tasted like sewage water. It was bad. Even my rabbits won't eat that, I bet. Next time, I'm sticking with the seafood/heart attack gumbos.

ETA: on the other hand, the turtle cake (double chocolate cake with caramelized icing) was delicious. So f*ck health food. It's fat and sugar from now on.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
veinglory said:
On that basis I declare Krispy cremes to be either an attack on our natural lifestyle, or sacriligious ;)

It's a good thing I'm heretic, then :D

The only low-fat product I ever liked was a yogurt, that in spite of being low-fat has a delicious sweet flavor and is the ONLY natural yogurt I can actually stand.

Other than that, it all tastes like SH¡T

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Azura Skye said:

Same here. I only drink 1% skim. Can't stand 2%.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Azura Skye said:
I don't drink whole milk either. Half-and-half for me! Nothing better than cold half-and-half on warm rice pudding!

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
I've gotten used to fat free milk. That's the only type I drink now.

Occasionally, I'll drink 2%, but that's rare. Like others have experienced, I don't really like the taste of whole milk anymore.

For me, if I wanted to cut some fat, I had to make some sacrifices.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
Well, it does!

Why can't healthy, low-fat products TASTE GOOD????
If you accept the premise that high-fat food are inherently unhealthy--they're not. Too much fat in your diet is certainly unhealthy, but it's all a matter of balance. If you like whole milk in your coffee, use it. But then cut back on fat in other ways.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mysteryhost said:
Dare I inquire the comparative method employed prompting your conclusion of sapid

Similarity?

Okay, perhaps the wrong word usage. I am assuming that sh*t tastes pretty bad.

Skim milk does NOT taste GOOD!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Roger J Carlson said:
I don't drink whole milk either. Half-and-half for me! Nothing better than cold half-and-half on warm rice pudding!

I wish milk came like it did back in the day when it would separate and you'd have to shake it to get the cream mixed back in the milk. Now THAT was tasty. Even today's whole milk is just a pale imitation of that.

rhymegirl said:
Okay, perhaps the wrong word usage. I am assuming that sh*t tastes pretty bad.

I don't know. My dog seems to think the cat's is pretty tasty. :)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I wish milk came like it did back in the day when it would separate and you'd have to shake it to get the cream mixed back in the milk. Now THAT was tasty. Even today's whole milk is just a pale imitation of that.
Careful. You're showing your age. Kids these days don't even know what a milkman is.

Speaking of milk that separated. When my brother was little, he got into big trouble because he went around the neighborhood, pulled off the little paper tab that stoppered the milk bottle and drank the cream from all the neighbor's milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.